More UpClose RLA Video Lies from FedEx

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You are a perfect fit for the union. It's all about 'What can you do for ME?". At UPS, raises are given according to the contract.....not productivity. So you busting your butt, running your route at 150%, being on time everyday, etc would get the same raise as the guy who does 1/2 the work you do. Think that's fair? If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone from UPS will chime in.

I agree, you should top out quicker. I'm there just over 10 years and am at $19.00. So, I know exactly how you feel. But, giving the same raise to everyone, IMO, sux for the guy like you, busting his/her butt everyday. You say if you were topped out, you would vote no to the union.....bull!!! The union will dangle more money in front of you and you will jump at it.......guaranteed. Only to realize the carrot is actually an onion.

I love your "logic". It's better to be underpaid than to have a few slugs overpaid? That's managements problem, not yours. If they hire and retain an unproductive worker, it's on them. Please explain to me how the union "carrot" is really an onion. I'd really like to know.

LTFedExer

I don't think I'm underpaid at all. In fact, I think UPS couriers are overpaid. But, what do I know....I'm just a dumb courier. Please enlighten me...your 1700+ posts on how horrible Fed Smith is, how good the union is and how you're always right while everyone else is wrong haven't done the job.

vantexan

You are a perfect fit for the union. It's all about 'What can you do for ME?". At UPS, raises are given according to the contract.....not productivity. So you busting your butt, running your route at 150%, being on time everyday, etc would get the same raise as the guy who does 1/2 the work you do. Think that's fair? If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone from UPS will chime in.

I agree, you should top out quicker. I'm there just over 10 years and am at $19.00. So, I know exactly how you feel. But, giving the same raise to everyone, IMO, sux for the guy like you, busting his/her butt everyday. You say if you were topped out, you would vote no to the union.....bull!!! The union will dangle more money in front of you and you will jump at it.......guaranteed. Only to realize the carrot is actually an onion.

If the company makes a reasonable offer to us before we vote for a union I will take it and vote against the union. The union can't dangle more money before me if they haven't been voted in, and if they are voted in and work out something with the company fine, I'll take it. But if I agree to take a reasonable offer to vote no I will vote no.

On the recent SFA I went down the line marking strongly agree on every question pertaining to my mgr and senior mgr, as I've done most years for many years now. No matter what's been done to me I have no desire to mess with their jobs, except for the time I posted on Fedexaminer about some mgrs who were cheating customers. I even talked my workgroup at another station back in the 90's into giving our mgr a better score. He went from 2 years in the low 40's and being in real trouble to a score in the high 70's. I'm not interested in hurting this company and am concerned that a union will ultimately hurt us. Advocates for a union seem to think they'll have the company over a barrel but this company always seems to figure out a way to get around various obstacles. I don't say that with admiration, they always are looking for ways to take things from us. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. And it might blow up in your face.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think I'm underpaid at all. In fact, I think UPS couriers are overpaid. But, what do I know....I'm just a dumb courier. Please enlighten me...your 1700+ posts on how horrible Fed Smith is, how good the union is and how you're always right while everyone else is wrong haven't done the job.

Hey, you are just a dumb courier (by your own admission). You deserve your $19.00 per hour. Just be aware that the UPS guy makes around $29.00 per hour and will retire with an actual pension. I'm guessing you're not old enough or smart enough to think long-term. And as long as apologists like you come on here, I'll keep adding to that number of posts.

LTFedExer

Hey, you are just a dumb courier (by your own admission). You deserve your $19.00 per hour. Just be aware that the UPS guy makes around $29.00 per hour and will retire with an actual pension. I'm guessing you're not old enough or smart enough to think long-term. And as long as apologists like you come on here, I'll keep adding to that number of posts.
I am old enough and smart enough to think long term. Any pension I will receive will be considered 'bonus money'. I don't rely on anyone so set money aside for my future.....except me. I have my 401K and other investments, all on my measly salary. Would I like to make more money......sure. Even the UPS driver making $32/hr would like more. But, I don't NEED more.

Here's a serious question. If you're going to give some rambling answer, don't waste your time or mine. I understand completely UPS's point of view and understand why they would like FedEx to come under the NLRA. I may not agree with it, but I understand. My question to you is why is the IBT fighting so hard for it too? Theoretically, they would have nothing to gain (please note I said THEORETICALLY) whether FedEx's status remains as is or changes. If the status changes, everyone automatically assumes the entire company would become unionized. Dig into the union's finances, then you'll see unionizing is not a 'magic pill' as you are making it look like it is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am old enough and smart enough to think long term. Any pension I will receive will be considered 'bonus money'. I don't rely on anyone so set money aside for my future.....except me. I have my 401K and other investments, all on my measly salary. Would I like to make more money......sure. Even the UPS driver making $32/hr would like more. But, I don't NEED more.

Here's a serious question. If you're going to give some rambling answer, don't waste your time or mine. I understand completely UPS's point of view and understand why they would like FedEx to come under the NLRA. I may not agree with it, but I understand. My question to you is why is the IBT fighting so hard for it too? Theoretically, they would have nothing to gain (please note I said THEORETICALLY) whether FedEx's status remains as is or changes. If the status changes, everyone automatically assumes the entire company would become unionized. Dig into the union's finances, then you'll see unionizing is not a 'magic pill' as you are making it look like it is.

All that the end of the RLA Exemption would change is our ability to organize locally. It does not mean that we'll go union, although it's a big start in the right direction. Both the IBT and UPS stand to gain...that's a given. The Teamsters gain members, strength, dues, and funding for their pension funds. UPS gets a level playing field and FedEx loses it's illegal and unethical competitive advantage. That's the game in a nutshell, so see, I do get the big picture after all.

So, if we're all as happy as you, why does Fred fear losing the exemption so much? Because he knows that a lot of locations are more than ready to go union. The ironic thing is that FedEx could have avoided the whole issue by being fair with it's employees. If Smith hadn't slashed our wages and retirement, most employees wouldn't even want the Teamsters. Instead, Smith took the WalMart approach, and look where we're at now.

I've never said unionizing is a "magic pill". What I have repeatedly said is that the Teamsters are a better choice than continuing to be completely under Fred's thumb. Get it straight.

vantexan

I don't think it's a magic pill but the possibility of going union is leverage. If FedEx is trying this hard to keep it from happening then I suspect they don't want to overhaul the company, restructure everything, if possible. So getting the right to vote for a union just might give them the incentive to pay us better. Then you'll have more money to invest in your 401k and other investments. Even the poorly paid want more money, right?

By the way, if you are topped out you just might have enough to fund your 401k and other investments. For those of us in mid-range, not so much. Living paycheck to paycheck will do that to you. Your turn...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's ALL they care about. Nothing more.

Maybe, but I''ll still take the Teamsters over Smith any day. He's proven over and over again that all he cares about is his profit. That's ALL he cares about. Nothing more. Except paying-off his political allies so he can keep on screwing us. Apparently you're OK with that.

Hey, smart guy. Answer this one, OK? Why is it that the FedEx Pension Fund is always fully funded? Since you're clueless, I'll answer for you. It's fully funded because we DON'T have a true pension. Since the PPP is only worth about one third of the old plan it's a cinch for Fred to toss in a few bucks and then brag that our fund is solvent. What he doesn't say is that the PPP is worth about one tenth of a UPS retirement plan. Ooops. I think he forgot to tell the whole story again. That happens a lot with Fred these days. Did he just "forget" or is he counting on ignorant employees who aren't smart enough to know the difference. I'll go with the latter. Let me know if you need help figuring it out. You're welcome.

LTFedExer

Maybe, but I''ll still take the Teamsters over Smith any day. He's proven over and over again that all he cares about is his profit. That's ALL he cares about. Nothing more. Except paying-off his political allies so he can keep on screwing us. Apparently you're OK with that. .
That's a funny comment. Name ONE, just ONE owner of a company that doesn't care about profits...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's a funny comment. Name ONE, just ONE owner of a company that doesn't care about profits...

More selective quoting from you. I said his profit. There's nothing wrong with profit, but when you don't spread the wealth around to those that helped you earn it there's a problem. You see, Fred decided a long time ago that he didn't need to do that. It's called being greedy. Instead of decent wages, benefits, and profit-sharing, Fred spread the wealth around to compliant politicians, his top execs, and his pilots. He bought himself a stadium and new airplanes when he should have been taking care of those that really make him the money....the front-line employees. He was confident that by investing his money in politicians, he would never have to do right by us. Perhaps that was a poor decision. He's gotten away with it for almost 40 years, but I really think the Fred S gravy train has finally jumped the tracks.

You sit on here and defend him, but you're not smart enough to even realize what he's taken away from you over the last 10 years. Amazing. It's like an Catholic abuse victim defending the priest who violated him. Dude, there is no hope for you. Please continue to be a willing pawn and doormat.

LTFedExer

You sit on here and defend him, but you're not smart enough to even realize what he's taken away from you over the last 10 years. Amazing. It's like an Catholic abuse victim defending the priest who violated him. Dude, there is no hope for you. Please continue to be a willing pawn and doormat.
I haven't defended anyone or anything........yet. But, by my comments/statements, you most likely know where I stand. You just can't accept the fact that people have different opinions than you and have the nerve to disagree with you. Every one line comment I made has been answered by 2 paragraphs of nothing but rambling. Must be nice to be right all the time.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I haven't defended anyone or anything........yet. But, by my comments/statements, you most likely know where I stand. You just can't accept the fact that people have different opinions than you and have the nerve to disagree with you. Every one line comment I made has been answered by 2 paragraphs of nothing but rambling. Must be nice to be right all the time.

It's implicit in everything you write, and there are plenty of FedEx lovers out there who think just like you do. I have plenty of people disagree with me, and you can hold whatever opinion you wish. And yes, it's nice to always be "right". Perhaps you should study the posts of FedExAllThe Way or FedEx4Life, fellow deep thinkers like yourself, for additional brilliance and wisdom.

Ricochet1a

As MrFedEx stated, the contrarian views posted on this list tend to be all variations on a theme; the theme that FedEx Corporation is putting out itself for public consumption and the consumption of its employees at every opportunity possible.

On the issue of unionization, there isn’t any middle ground. It is a decision one way or the other, with not much room for fence sitters. Since the wage employees get all of FedEx Corporation’s propaganda while at work, seeing it here again in slightly modified form isn’t of much use, or really appreciated by those of us who want to have a voice in our compensation levels.

If you really think Fred is compensating you fairly, then don’t bother posting here, you are part of the status-quo at FedEx. You have every need met by what FedEx upper management decides to give you and you have no worries or fears – Fred will take care of you as he deems fit. If you are young and are contemplating making Express a career, I hope you have a large inheritance coming your way or win the lottery, since you won’t be receiving any sort of pension to enable a retirement with a lifestyle you’d like. You aren’t being compensated enough to create your own retirement package independently and what Express is giving you is a mere fraction of what is needed to fill out a complete retirement portfolio.

I – and many others – would rather put our trust in a binding contract reached through collective bargaining which cannot be altered by Fred at his will. After having the defined benefit pension plan pulled two and a half years ago, having a year with no pay increase and another with a fraction of what Fred had “promised” (potential of 6.5% annual), having the 401(k) matching funds suspended right after having the pension yanked, then have lower management engage in threatening and abusive behavior towards the employees if they didn’t acquiesce to their every whim – we’ve had enough.

Many of us and I dare say most Couriers, RTDs and Ramp Agents don’t feel that our best interest is being served by what Fred decides he wants to give us as compensation. There are only two solutions to this dilemma: quit or unionize. Fred would definitely like all of us that aren’t satisfied to quit so that he could replace us with employees that are more easily satisfied, but that would just be too easy for Fred.

I’ll be gone before a union could ever be certified in Express, but I’ll keep trying to inform my coworkers as to the raw deal they are getting and the hope for a better deal that could be achieved through collective bargaining. Again, for all those that are completely happy with the status-quo, what the heck are you doing wasting your time posting here? You have the right to vote no if a union vote were ever to be held and unless you live in a closed shop state, you don’t ever have to worry about having to choose between union membership and FedEx employment.

The facts have been put forth; UPS drivers make an equivalent through direct wages, benefits and retirement fund contributions of $80,000+ a year. Most are approaching the $90,000 a year mark in total compensation received. FedEx Couriers receive a FRACTION of that.

As of right now, there is no binding pay progression in Express; Fred killed that in early 2009. Since any pay progression from this point forward will likely only track the rate of inflation, there will be no real pay progression EVER, only cost of living adjustments. This means the real compensation of each Courier, RTD and Ramp Agent is essentially FIXED, your lifestyle won’t improve one bit from this point forward with Express. For a Courier with less than 5 years in, you will be making about $45,000 a year in total compensation – wages, benefits, PPP, 401(k) matching funds (2010 dollars) - for the rest of the time you are with Express. The topped out Couriers are making about $60,000 in 2010 dollars in total compensation, but those that are not already topped out will NEVER SEE IT.

Through collective bargaining the Couriers, RTDs and Ramp Agents of Express can increase their compensation levels by at least $20,000 a year easily. UPS turns a healthy profit with its drivers being unionized, Express can do likewise. Having the Couriers, RTDs and Ramp Agents unionize would “cost” Express about one Billion USD a year. In a Corporation which brings in between 20 and 30 Billion USD in revenue a year this is easily achievable if upper management is FORCED to fairly compensate its wage employees by virtue of a binding contract. A reduction in the staff bloat that is present in Memphis (yes, terminations of salaried employees to enable better compensation for those that are ACTUALLY doing the work), would be necessary as would rate increases of 1 to 2 percent. If you feel good about being compensated at a fraction of what you are worth so that Fred can have an army of salaried staff telling him how great he is, definitely vote no for union certification if we should ever get that opportunity.

Last year Fred spent close to $10,000,000 in lobbying for one thing – keeping his RLA classification. Sure is a lot to spend if all of his wage employees love him so much. There is one thing Fred isn’t, he isn’t stupid. He spends FedEx assets for a purpose and expects to get what he wants in proportion to what he pays. Given that about 50,000 wage employees are potential union members; that works out to $200 for each and every Courier, RTD, Ramp Agent (and Mechanic) spent solely for the purpose of keeping us from having a fair opportunity to see if we want to unionize. He decided to spend $200 for each of us in lobbying Washington to keep us from unionizing rather that “giving” another “Purple Payout”. The Purple Payout went to Washington and every wage employee was given a 2.2% pay increase rather than the potential 6.5% we should’ve received under Fred’s OWN SCHEDULE for pay increases. Slurp up the Kool-Aid FedEx apologists; Washington lobbyists need the money more than hard working Americans after all…

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
the above is moot as express will continue to have the exemption.

How do you know? You don't. Smith isn't acting like someone who has it in the bag, especially since he so obviously cooked the SFA numbers this year and is pulling every puppet string he can to get his way. God, I hope he loses, just so we can rub his face in it at every possible opportunity. And if the old man doesn't win, expect a temper tantrum like you've never seen before.

LTFedExer

How do you know? You don't. Smith isn't acting like someone who has it in the bag, especially since he so obviously cooked the SFA numbers this year and is pulling every puppet string he can to get his way. God, I hope he loses, just so we can rub his face in it at every possible opportunity. And if the old man doesn't win, expect a temper tantrum like you've never seen before.
From him or you?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
From him or you?

From him. If you look at what I wrote, you'll see that it references Smith losing, not me. As I've said before, I'm pretty much set (no thanks to FedEx), so my concern is for my fellow employees. Maxwell Smart had a "Cone of Silence". I think you have an "Aura of Ignorance". Perhaps you should make a generous donation to FEPAC so Fred has even more money to toss at Congress.