Most elaborate theivery inside UPS you've witnessed

balland chain

Last year a part timer stole a Tiffany engagement ring valued at 60K. The employee was kept in a room until the police could arrive and take their ass to jail.. The first lesson ALL employees should learn when starting at UPS.. DO NOT steal anything,, if a bag of chips bust' open on a belt, dont eat one, that is theft. Don't think you are smarter than UPS.. We all have dumb managers and supervisors, but when it comes to UPS and money, and specifically money they are loosing due to theft, THEY are smarter than ANY one of us workers. But as we know you cant fix stupid and workers try and try to get away with it. They may for a short period, but they WILL get caught in time , as they should !!!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Meadowlands hub, early 21st century...Overgoods department was run by three day time workers all in cahoots. One worked pharmaceuticals; another jewelry; and the last electronics. Mind you these were all 20 plus year employees. The department was is so much disarray daily. The three of them would box up all the stolen items and ship them out to a place nearby where a dock employee in on the deal would sign for the packages. This went on for over a year and a half. Myself and another clerk noticed and passed the information on to management but they didn't believe us. Six months later they were finally busted. Over 400 packages containing more than 1.5 million dollars worth of goods. Big write up in the papers and the employees got fired and the one with the pharmaceuticals was up for jail time. One of them actually begged for his job back. Of course myself and the other clerk never received any monies for reporting the thieves.

Anything bigger in your district?
Squint,

I think the biggest most elaborate thievery I have witnessed is the biggest and most elaborate of them all.

Package care failures and the justification of them is the most wide example of thievery that I have witnessed.

I have seen packages crushed, trampled, thrown, run over, dropped... you name it.

I have seen customers product(overgoods) left all over the floor and eventually thrown in the trash after being swept up by the housekeeping staff.

I have seen this done in the plain view of many management levels.

I have seen management employees participate in these behaviors.

The package conveyors are run more like trash compactors than package conveying systems.

I do have the answer for this.

Take their money and them blame them for not packing their shipment to handle our abusive treatment of their property.

Sincerely,
I

Squint

No more work for me!
I'm a watch collector so I know the value of them...

Before the guys were caught in my original post two separate things happened to me. At my overgoods station a package showed up with no label whatsoever. After investigation of the contents I found a Frank Muller and a 18k Breitling watch in the carton. At the time, there were no cameras, and I worked alone. I could've pocketed them then and there, used my locker to stash them, then wear them out the guard shack the next two days.

Another day a loose diamond in a NDA box landed on my desk that had not gone through high value. Had no markings at all on the label but inside the wrapping of the diamond had an appraisal (18k) with the name of the appraisal company. I could've very easily got this out the door but my upbringing was an honest one so I did the right thing by NDA'ing the diamond back to the appraiser.

The watches, I turned them into LP later that afternoon. Those two watches were worth at least 15k. The Muller one is listed for 7k and anybody who knows watches knows the Breitlings are big money.

Nothing is worth stealing. Some of the stories in this thread I've seen happen myself through my career. the over-labeling; the garage kept packages; the irreg driver driving in the car lot; just to name a few. All ended with dismissal. It's just not worth it!

S

serenity now

I'm a watch collector so I know the value of them...

Before the guys were caught in my original post two separate things happened to me. At my overgoods station a package showed up with no label whatsoever. After investigation of the contents I found a Frank Muller and a 18k Breitling watch in the carton. At the time, there were no cameras, and I worked alone. I could've pocketed them then and there, used my locker to stash them, then wear them out the guard shack the next two days.

Another day a loose diamond in a NDA box landed on my desk that had not gone through high value. Had no markings at all on the label but inside the wrapping of the diamond had an appraisal (18k) with the name of the appraisal company. I could've very easily got this out the door but my upbringing was an honest one so I did the right thing by NDA'ing the diamond back to the appraiser.

The watches, I turned them into LP later that afternoon. Those two watches were worth at least 15k. The Muller one is listed for 7k and anybody who knows watches knows the Breitlings are big money.

Nothing is worth stealing. Some of the stories in this thread I've seen happen myself through my career. the over-labeling; the garage kept packages; the irreg driver driving in the car lot; just to name a few. All ended with dismissal. It's just not worth it!

It's also just wrong.

Jigawatts

We had a package car driver stealing pharmaceuticals. I'm not going to say how he was busted because I'm not sure if the story I heard was true or not. All I know for certain is we was given the opportunity to "resign" with the company.

As for me, I wouldn't pocket a stray penny from that building. It's not worth it.

browntroll

i basically had a new hire tell me he wanted to steal last time i was in unload, he also told me he knew exactly which boxes have cellphones and if i wanted in.
also on stealing time just wanted to make sure im not gonna be asked about it or i can say i dont know anything, since these guys normally hang out
with me after im done even though they were done with their stuff by at least 30 min, sup normally tells them to clock out so they move to another
break area lol.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I could never wear shorts like that in public. I have a mid-thigh tan line that would look funny. Plus I have ADD and can't hold enough interest to actually read a book.

If u wore shorts like that everyday to work. Like we all use to. Then u would have a much higher tan line.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
with hard work and a great paycheck the average driver could buy anything in that load eventually!! I could never see the idea of stealing!! Its' only cardboard, don't care what's in it,, don't care who's it for or where it's going,,,it's just cardboard !! lived by this for 25 years and have NEVER EVER thought of it as anything else..... Just cardboard !!!

Tough Guy

Roughly a year ago in my hub, on the preload. I don't know exactly all the details, but those new iphones and ipads had come out, and were going missing. I remember hearing from several sups that they had to instruct everyone to leave their coats in a designated area and so forth, not in the trucks, and we all heard whispers about ipads/phones being stolen.

Well one day, we came to hear that the grand scheme that was found out, was there was a couple of irreg-drivers were getting them out two ways. They were throwing some in the garbage, and had a trash guy/ housekeeping guy in on it who would retrieve them from the trash and dumpsters, and they the guy in the guardshack in on it too, where I guess he would let them through.

What's funny is apparently nobody could figure out how it was happening, and one day the guy who was the hub manager at the time(who was a notorious company man) happened to be coming around a corner, and witnessed them trying to throw them in the trash real quick.

Those are the details the way I heard it anyway. May or may not have been some embellishment.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Squint,

I think the biggest most elaborate thievery I have witnessed is the biggest and most elaborate of them all.

Package care failures and the justification of them is the most wide example of thievery that I have witnessed.

I have seen packages crushed, trampled, thrown, run over, dropped... you name it.

I have seen customers product(overgoods) left all over the floor and eventually thrown in the trash after being swept up by the housekeeping staff.

I have seen this done in the plain view of many management levels.

I have seen management employees participate in these behaviors.

The package conveyors are run more like trash compactors than package conveying systems.

I do have the answer for this.

Take their money and them blame them for not packing their shipment to handle our abusive treatment of their property.

Sincerely,
I

Well if the above is "thievery" then your use of bandwidth is too.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
TooTechie,

What kind of comment is that?

What did I ever do to you?

Are you just trying to be a comedian?

Don't you think this site has enough site jesters?

I do.

Sincerely,
I

I've tried hard to see a genuine value in your posts, so to answer your question you've done nothing directly to me, but I'm among those who actually roll my eyes and physically sigh when I see your posts. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I can't tell if you are actually on a soapbox with your holier than thou posts or if you're attempting to elicit a response for your own entertainment.

If you truly see all these injustices and horrible problems everywhere you look in the company then strap on a pair and do something about it rather than posting ad nauseum about them here.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've tried hard to see a genuine value in your posts, so to answer your question you've done nothing directly to me, but I'm among those who actually roll my eyes and physically sigh when I see your posts. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I can't tell if you are actually on a soapbox with your holier than thou posts or if you're attempting to elicit a response for your own entertainment.

If you truly see all these injustices and horrible problems everywhere you look in the company then strap on a pair and do something about it rather than posting ad nauseum about them here.
TooTechie,

This is not an acceptable reason to treat someone with disrespect now is it.

What is holier than thou about my posts?

I do come here for discussion, and I do consider it part of my entertainment time.

I see what I see. I discuss what I see and from the perspective that I choose.

What is wrong with that? Don't I have the right to come here and participate as you have the right?

You don't have to sigh or discredit me or mock me. You can simply add me to your ignore list.

Sincerely,
I

S

serenity now

TooTechie,

I do come here for discussion, and I do consider it part of my entertainment time.

What is wrong with that? Don't I have the right to come here and participate as you have the right?

You don't have to sigh or discredit me or mock me. You can simply add me to your ignore list.

Sincerely,
I

Done

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
TooTechie,

Sincerely,
I

I didn't treat you with disrespect--I responded to your post to me. The ignore feature doesn't work well and doesn't work at all on the mobile app. I'm not going to go back and forth with you and derail this thread any further.

TooTechie,

What is holier than thou about my posts? You just made me puke!!! Come on dude! Nobody is buying what you are selling!

Sincerely,
I