Most expensive shipment you have seen.

scisector9

I'm a year into driving and have always been curious about shipping costs for our customers. I only know about 13 routes but I have a few I cover frequently so I've started asking customers about their costs to ship certain packages.

Today I picked up a 140 lb international standard package cost for shipping around 300 dollars. Also had a saver 148 lbs from a different shipper price was 400ish and to have it NDA was over 500. I know larger shippers get breaks and customers get kick backs based on volume but the whole pricing process intrigues me.

What is the largest price tag you have seen to ship a package or what's the highest declared value you have seen? Saw one package declared around 15k...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bottom rung

Declared value. $380,000 international, thats where the big dollars are. I've heard of stuff over 500k from the same shipper.

Sent using BrownCafe App

CHALLY9TX

A year driving and you already know 13 routes?!! Wish they did that with newbies in my center.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Notretiredyet

Holy crap, make sure you get those signed off ASAP and every time you get one. I've seen drivers pay thousands for not following DV procedures. I get a lot of them on a regular basis yesterday had one for 34k.

scisector9

A year driving and you already know 13 routes?!! Wish they did that with newbies in my center.

Yeah I get kind of bummed because they have other cover guys who have been running the disability routes and only know that and their training route and I am some weeks on 5 routes in 5 days. Its all pay I suppose.

And 500k? Damn that pays some salaries

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cementups

Box Monkey
I had one package I picked up that was $45k and I regularly deliver a woman's cancer meds and she says the insurance company is billed $30k for that large cooler full of drugs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Had 130+ lbs crate nda early am across the country that was I think $1200 to ship. The company had to hold off shipping it a day because they had to get permission from corporate to spend over $1000.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not sure what the shipping cost was but last week i delivered $7.3 million worth of pension plan payout cheques.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Which can't be insured for anything.

Had a company want to insure a 12k check. Sup said sorry that physical check is worth a couple cents that's it.

T

Turdferguson

Highest cost for a single pkg was around $1600 and this was eight years ago, 140 lbs early am to saudi arabia. Highest value was a $65,000 digital projector. Highest value on a shipment were 12 pks $20,000 each, glass sonar tubes going to the navy. Route at the time was near the building went back to building and droped them off before finishing rest of pick ups that day

Sent using BrownCafe App

Indecisi0n

Had a 15K piece of machine equipment sent out to be worked on. It came back in the same container it went out in but was cracked and had a huge hole that someone put cardboard over and a roll of tape. Customer wasn't happy.

CHALLY9TX

Delivered digital projectors to a movie theater when they switched to all digital. It was about 25 of them. Must of been a nice chunk of change.

Sent using BrownCafe App

CHALLY9TX

You need to learn the concept of go slow make more dough. Go fast and get to learn every last route.

Not at all. I was a terrible driver my first year. Didn't stop management from sending me and other fellow rookies out blind. It used to be least senior drivers would go out blind the most. Now they only force new drivers to go blind as a last recourse. Management is only screwing themselves.

Sent using BrownCafe App

O

OLDMAN3

I used to pickup a place that melted down unsold gold jewelry from a major national retail chain. About 50 lbs of gold a day picked up in 1 to 8 oz boxes. That's about 1 million a day at today's prices. I could not wait to loose that pickup.
Scariest pickup was a outfit that sent out semi-automatic machine guns...about 100 a day. They were located in a bad part of town, and in the winter it was dark out at pickup time.