Motorcyclist Hit by UPS Truck: $3.4 Million

Returntosender

On June 18, 2012, Matthew Karotkin, 25, of West Hartford, left his tire store job to go to the gym with some co-workers. There is no law requiring motorcycle drivers to wear a helmet in Connecticut and Karotkin was not wearing one as he rode his Kawasaki Ninja north on International Drive just before 6:30 p.m.

The jury returned a verdict of $3.4 million, though it assessed 20 percent comparative negligence to Karotkin, resulting in a net award of $2.78 million. The initial award broke down to about $152,000 for medical costs, $24,000 for lost wages, $300,000 for past noneconomic damages and $3 million in future economic damages.

Read more: http://www.ctlawtribune.com/id=1202720427292/Motorcyclist-Hit-by-UPS-Truck-34-Million#ixzz3Usgq6St8

On June 18, 2012, Matthew Karotkin, 25, of West Hartford, left his tire store job to go to the gym with some co-workers. There is no law requiring motorcycle drivers to wear a helmet in Connecticut and Karotkin was not wearing one as he rode his Kawasaki Ninja north on International Drive just before 6:30 p.m.

The jury returned a verdict of $3.4 million, though it assessed 20 percent comparative negligence to Karotkin, resulting in a net award of $2.78 million. The initial award broke down to about $152,000 for medical costs, $24,000 for lost wages, $300,000 for past noneconomic damages and $3 million in future economic damages.

Read more: http://www.ctlawtribune.com/id=1202720427292/Motorcyclist-Hit-by-UPS-Truck-34-Million#ixzz3Usgq6St8
That's crazy

Indecisi0n

"UPS denying all responsibility and being aggressive in its defense". I loved reading that and still seeing them still lose.

:censored2: UPS. That :censored2: doesn't work in the real world.

Pooter

I just feel that in this day and age, not wearing a helmet is just asking for it. Too many crazy drivers.

My opinion on the matter sucks anyways. I don't even have the balls to get on one :D

I'm glad nobody died and hopefully both drivers learned a lesson.

Indecisi0n

This is where UPS cuts off its nose to spite its face. They will discipline its driver for "not clearing the intersection" but then try and deny all responsibility. They are so stupid it's funny.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Here he is after hearing about verdict:

gameshow-winner.gif

Indecisi0n

The difference between wearing a helmet and not wearing a helmet is
Open casket or Closed casket
Sorry but if you ride without a helmet youre an idiot. You could fall at 15 mph and hit your head in such a way to never return. I've know people who's lives have been saved because they were wearing a helmet.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I used to investigate accidents and determine liability. Based solely on the limited info in the article, my guess is that the feeder driver had a left green arrow that didn't last long and turns to a regular green light at which time the oncoming traffic gets a green light.

Feeder likely didn't complete his turn by the time the biker got his green light. Biker sees a green light and is probably looking at his buddies in the side mirror and drops the clutch/twists the throttle. Millisecond later realizes his path isn't clear and bam/crunch into side of trailer/wheel/pavement etc.

P.S. I agree. It's legal to go without a helmet in CT & NH but I always wear a helmet.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
P.P.S.

This is the view from the feeder driver's side of that intersection. Funny thing is last street view 5 years before it there wasn't even a traffic light there. Just a stop sign on the side street.

35db31z.jpg

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Based solely on the limited info in the article, Biker sees a green light and is probably looking at his buddies in the side mirror and drops the clutch/twists the throttle. Millisecond later realizes his path isn't clear and bam/crunch into side of trailer/wheel/pavement etc.

P.S. I agree. It's legal to go without a helmet in CT & NH but I always wear a helmet.

That, and nobody on a Ninja wants to look like a pusillanimous.

ManInBrown

I have family in Connecticut and I always shudder when I see these idiots riding their motorcycles without helmets doing 60-65 mph on the highway.

Couldn't agree more. On a recent trip to Florida, I couldn't believe how many riders don't wear helmets. And for the most part in Florida it is all older people who I saw. It just makes no sense. I really think the majority have a death wish. If you get into any type of accident not wearing a helmet you are either going to die, or be a vegetable the rest of your life. I just don't get it