Motorcyclist Hit by UPS Truck: $3.4 Million

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Of course you have the knuckleheads who give the responsible riders a bad rap.
Driving the expressway Wed Evening, speed limit 60. I was doing about 67, here comes this yayhoo was a blur as he went by, would guess topping triple digits.
He was being scraped off the road a couple hours later.
Moto-Darwinism. Speed kills, but only the stupid and inexperienced.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My opinion for what its worth, is....they are too heavy, and they will break your neck when you hit the road. It needs to be made of super lite material, with lots to burn off on impact. An 8 pd helmet at 50 mph weighs about 250pds, weight plus inertia. I believe the design is flawed.
Such as in the race car with Dale Earnhardt sr. Without the hahns device, his head weighed about I dont know 190 mph, with a helmet his head weighed about 1000 pounds, wasnt locked down, snapped his head off the spine.
You would need a head about the size of an oxen to survive that.
My husband doesnt wear when he rides, and I dont push it, because I dont see the advantage. I would prefer he didnt ride on a motorcycle, because I have seen how a telephone pole, a tree or a ray of sunshine shooting through the trees can be a tragic moment. But thats not happening. Thats why I rocked and rolled, before it was cool. I dont know the answer, life is dangerous.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
8 lbs? My new Signet Q probably weighs 3 at the most. You should go shopping for a new brain bucket. The newest ones are very light and comfortable.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
8 lbs? My new Signet Q probably weighs 3 at the most. You should go shopping for a new brain bucket. The newest ones are very light and comfortable.
Well maybe he should check out the new ones. But hes a cratchety ole guy, and he would find a reason anyway. Not to wear one.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
For what its worth, gotta get rid of the skip factor, the hard shell. And the weight, even 3 pds is too much. Think eraser, no skip no bounce.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You can only ride one at a time, so what's the big deal?
Exactly her point.
One is a 1987 Honda Shadow which I can ride around for about 30 minutes before I start to feel beat up.
Another is a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad which is my fav bike and I can ride it for 3- 4 hours
The other is a Goldwing which I can ride all day long ... one smooth and comfortable bike.

If I could only have one, it would be the Kawasaki.

PS - after riding bikes for many years, i swore off all that had a chain drive, not water-cooled and it must have fuel injection. The Shadow has a carburetor and will not crank half the time.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I had a Suzuki GS 650G for a long time. I do miss the shaft drive. I've discovered the hard way these days that you need to drain the carbs out if you let the bike go unridden for more than a day or two if the gas has ethanol in it.

clean hairy

Of course, the Insurance companies could deny coverage for medical injuries if a person was not wearing a helmet.
They have some type of limitations if a person was not wearing a seatbelt while driving a car.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Speed does not kill,
if it did the pilots flying at supersonic speeds would die in the cockpit.
Not being funny here at all, but it is the sudden stop that kills.
Who's the towhead?

Desmond: [interviewing a waitress who is drinking coffee and smoking] D'you ever take cocaine, Irene?

Irene at Hap's: No, I do not. I never took cocaine or any other drug. I don't take drugs.

Stanley: Nicotine's a drug. Caffeine's a drug.

Irene at Hap's: [annoyed] Who's the towhead?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I agree that helmets are great in most cases. on long trips they contribute to head/neck fatigue. a friend of mine had and accident without a helmet and the dr. told him if he had worn a helmet he would of broken his neck ( because of way of impact ) and probably be paralysed from the neck down.

isolated case but just saying. I felt safer without one. seems like I was more aware of my surroundings and could move my head around much easier to get "the big picture."

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree that helmets are great in most cases. on long trips they contribute to head/neck fatigue. a friend of mine had and accident without a helmet and the dr. told him if he had worn a helmet he would of broken his neck ( because of way of impact ) and probably be paralysed from the neck down.

isolated case but just saying. I felt safer without one. seems like I was more aware of my surroundings and could move my head around much easier to get "the big picture."
Alot to be said for being unencumbered. You can hear, you can see, with no distraction. Most of his/my riding was country. Who would ride in traffic, thats not riding at all. The biggest problem where we are is people on phones or otherwise distracted.... they come around curves on the wrong side of the road. Which is why all our lives we rode close the the middle for more real estate, now closer to the right.