Motorcyclist Hit by UPS Truck: $3.4 Million

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I thought by law motorcyclists were required to ride in the inner 1/3 of the lane.
Not in Georgia or the surrounding states.
Never heard of it either.

Most states do not allow splitting the lane (California does).
Some states do not allow two bikes side by side in a lane (unless you are a policeman, of course).

Indecisi0n

Alot to be said for being unencumbered. You can hear, you can see, with no distraction. Most of his/my riding was country. Who would ride in traffic, thats not riding at all. The biggest problem where we are is people on phones or otherwise distracted.... they come around curves on the wrong side of the road. Which is why all our lives we rode close the the middle for more real estate, now closer to the right.
Sorry but IMO there is no good reason not to wear a helmet. Instead of coming up with excuses just say it's your choice and you choose not to wear it.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Took a Dragonfly the size of a RC helicopter square in the faceshield last time in California.
fools-gear-cool-gear-poster-776x1024.png

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
The difference between wearing a helmet and not wearing a helmet is
Open casket or Closed casket

No, sorry you don't get it. My Wife is a PT and has had 100's of motorcycle accident patients in her 20+ years.

If you (and your family) are LUCKY the difference is NOT the lid on the casket.

90% of the time the difference is this:

You wiping your own ass for the rest of your life or your family wiping your ass for the rest of your unnatural life!!

rod

Retired 22 years
Motorcycles are dangerous. If I got one, my wife would kill me.

Just the opposite here. My wife is the one who insisted we go from an 1100 Honda Shadow to an Ultra Glide Harley. I have a real hard time trying to sneak out for a solo ride. If she hears the scoot start up she comes running. Just today I mentioned that we better do a lot of ridding in the next few years because I don't know if I want to be out there on 2 wheels when I'm in my 70's. She said "we will get a trike then". That works for me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No, sorry you don't get it. My Wife is a PT and has had 100's of motorcycle accident patients in her 20+ years.

If you (and your family) are LUCKY the difference is NOT the lid on the casket.

90% of the time the difference is this:

You wiping your own ass for the rest of your life or your family wiping your ass for the rest of your unnatural life!!
Sorry BenBen but there's this thing called personal choice
Relax

overflowed

I was driving with my wife on a beautiful summer day on a coastal highway. Weekend, just had lunch, driving home. I see about 40 motorcycles driving in the opposite lane different races, different types of bikes. They were obviously a local bike club. I was thinking how much I wanted to grab a bike since I hadn't had one for a while, just seemed so cool seeing all of them. As I was thinking that, I'm looking at one particular bike and the front end starts shaking violently. Flips into oncoming traffic, hits the car in front of me, and launches about 70 feet into the air and almost lands on my car if I didn't brake. Lands on the curb on his neck about 5 feet from my hood. Wife screaming, dog screaming, baby screaming. I used to be an EMT, get out do compressions till the medics get there. Was dead when I checked him. I no longer wanted a bike anymore. It made me realize that no matter how good of a driver you are, on two wheels it doesn't make that much of a difference. From that accident a 26 year old man died and I now move away from motorcycles in traffic as a result. Not knocking you riders decisions, but at least wear a helmet. I used to be one. Please.

Indecisi0n

Just the opposite here. My wife is the one who insisted we go from an 1100 Honda Shadow to an Ultra Glide Harley. I have a real hard time trying to sneak out for a solo ride. If she hears the scoot start up she comes running. Just today I mentioned that we better do a lot of ridding in the next few years because I don't know if I want to be out there on 2 wheels when I'm in my 70's. She said "we will get a trike then". That works for me.
Why not just get a nice Windstar minivan ?

Packmule

I'm Thinking anyone who fails to wear helmets on bikes and seatbelts in vehicles, forfeits 80 percent of any award a more responsible person should receive.

Indecisi0n

I am really all about personally choice until it effects me. So if we take motorcycle helmet laws for example. When the laws were first being challenged in my states I was all for personally choice. My entire argument was: Don't tell me what I can or can't do! The only issue with that is when someone does get into an accident the insurance cost can be exponentially higher when you compare someone wearing a helmet (and full riding gear) to someone who wasn't. Even when the guy dies they still spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to save him. So where does the insurance company make up that money? You guessed it, higher rates.

Please let me state that I am on no way sticking up for the insurance companies as I hate them all. *sips coffee

P

pickup

Please keep the thread warm until TOS , the ultimate authority on motorcycles(and all other things), deigns to give us his expert answer to the question of "to helmet or not to helmet?".