Moved to Unload

turdburglar

Hello everyone. If you have been reading my posts about supervisors working, then you know that management has been on my back for a while now. Today, they moved me to unload, even though I am a very accurate loader (no misloads in the past 3 weeks, and I have gone a year without misloads before). I did not care, since unload is easier anyways (management seems to think it is some kind of punishment). I thought it was just for the day. However, apparently it is permanent.

At the end of the unload, I walked to a metro and helped some really backed up loaders load their trucks. At the end of the day, rather than thanking me, the full-time supervisor asked who me who told me to help the metro (even though they know I always help out when I have finished my work). I said that no one did. We went to my full-time supervisor, who said that from here on out I am to punch out as soon as unload is wrapped. It is obvious to me that they are cutting my hours in retaliation for filing grievances (and to keep me from filing supervisors working grievances, since I do not have much of a view from inside a trailer).

I asked my steward if seniority cuts across job classifications, and he gave me an unclear answer. He did say that he will talk to the preload manager about it, and that it sounded like retaliation. I am going to file a grievance for retaliation, but I have a question. Does seniority cut across job classifications (like unloader and preloader)? I do not think that it is right that they can send me home before sending less senior employees home, regardless of job classification, and my best guess is that it is not allowed. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on if its a skilled position. Which if u have PAS pretty much nothing is skilled. You can file if anyone with less seniority than you works longer than you.

turdburglar

Depends on if its a skilled position. Which if u have PAS pretty much nothing is skilled. You can file if anyone with less seniority than you works longer than you.
Preloading, for whatever reason, is considered a skilled position, is it not? Is that not why they make a dollar more than unload? So can I file if anyone in preload or unload with less seniority than me gets more hours? Or only if someone in unload gets more hours? (We do have PAS, by the way).

Returntosender

If the less senor guy makes more hours than you can file. Ask the steward to see end of sort printout for hours worked. If guys with less senority than you make more hours than you. You have case. If you can get other workers to file when they see sups working then they still loose.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
you're paid for your shift, not the job position

moving you to unload is probably retaliation, but having you punch out when your work is done, regardless of seniority, is standard procedure for unloaders

still, most belt supes would rather eat their clipboard than let anyone from unload onto their belt at the end of the day. any hope for accountability or efficiency of production goes right out the window

turdburglar

If the less senor guy makes more hours than you can file. Ask the steward to see end of sort printout for hours worked. If guys with less senority than you make more hours than you. You have case. If you can get other workers to file when they see sups working then they still loose.
So even if preloaders with less seniority get more hours than me, I can file? I already know that they will still lose, since even though I have gotten very few people to actually file themselves, I do have people on other belts who watch for me and tell me which supervisors worked and for how long, so I can file for them. I saw the sort aisle supervisor work for an hour today, too, and filed on it.

Returntosender

So even if preloaders with less seniority get more hours than me, I can file? I already know that they will still lose, since even though I have gotten very few people to actually file themselves, I do have people on other belts who watch for me and tell me which supervisors worked and for how long, so I can file for them. I saw the sort aisle supervisor work for an hour today, too, and filed on it.
A Steward informed another employee on more hours issue. If you have your contract book you can a more definete answer. You can ask other stewards in the different operations in your center. You are not obligated to only see one.

turdburglar

A Steward informed another employee on more hours issue. If you have your contract book you can a more definete answer. You can ask other stewards in the different operations in your center. You are not obligated to only see one.
Here is what I got so far from the Southern Supplement:
Article 48: (B) Seniority will be on a Center basis and by job classification.
What does it mean by "on a Center basis"? I know that multiple centers are run out of the same building where I work, so will my seniority cut across classifications for the center where I work, or will classification prevail?
Article 49: (friend) Seniority shall prevail for extra work and the work shall be assigned by seniority within the classification and work area to those who are qualified, present and available.
However, the part that is unclear is this:
Article 49, Section 4: Classifications as referred to in this Section shall be Loader/Unloader, Sorter, Small Sorter, Pre-Loader, Car Washer, Porter,
Inspection Lane Repair, Shifter, Incompatible Sorter and Clerks.
What is the difference between a loader/unloader and a pre-loader? Namely, what is the difference between a pre-loader and a loader? I know the difference between an unloader and a pre-loader, but what is a loader if it is classified the same as an unloader? If a loader is different from a pre-loader, then I may have trouble filing grievances for seniority for other pre-loaders getting more hours than me, since technically we would be in two different job classifications. However, if "loader" is just another name for "pre-loader", then they would be considered the same classification and I could file for seniority violations.

I will ask these questions to the steward tomorrow if no one has answered here, but it would be helpful if a steward could help me out with these questions. Thanks in advance.

By the way, would not all of this be irrelevant if there are supervisors working in the building at all? Or is the language specifying that I cannot be sent home so that a supervisor can unload? I thought this language was more along the lines of "bargaining unit employees cannot be sent home if there are supervisors working in the building for whatever reason". Because, after all, the supervisors working language in the contract calls for bargaining unit employees to be used before supervisors begin working (unless bargaining unit employees are not available). I am available to work for as long as the preload operation needs me.
"...nor shall the Employer send any bargaining unit employees home and then have such employee's work performed by a supervisor or other employees of the Employer who is not a member of the bargaining unit."

Last edited:
What region are you in? If you are in the central region article 3 section 16 covers this issue. I would think that you being qualified to preload just yesterday would mean that you should be able to do the extra work. It's obvious they are retaliating against you. I would file a article 37 grievance everyday you are in the unload. do it daily and contact your business agent because they are also violating article 21 of the master.

turdburglar

What region are you in? If you are in the central region article 3 section 16 covers this issue. I would think that you being qualified to preload just yesterday would mean that you should be able to do the extra work. It's obvious they are retaliating against you. I would file a article 37 grievance everyday you are in the unload. do it daily and contact your business agent because they are also violating article 21 of the master.
I am in the Southern Region. They have been violating Article 21 and Article 37 for quite a while now through over-supervision, general harassment, attempts to dissuade me from engaging in union activity, threats of termination, etc. I have been filing Article 37 grievances each and every time. It does not seem to be making a difference for my work environment, but I do not care about that, since their harassment is my entertainment. However, when my hours are cut for engaging in union activity, that is the point where things are getting serious. This is not a fight that they are going to win, I can guarantee that much.

UPSGUY72

I am in the Southern Region. They have been violating Article 21 and Article 37 for quite a while now through over-supervision, general harassment, attempts to dissuade me from engaging in union activity, threats of termination, etc. I have been filing Article 37 grievances each and every time. It does not seem to be making a difference for my work environment, but I do not care about that, since their harassment is my entertainment. However, when my hours are cut for engaging in union activity, that is the point where things are getting serious. This is not a fight that they are going to win, I can guarantee that much.

It seems that there is a lot more to this story then what we have heard. It also seems that your have had a bull eyes painted on you and it's not going away any time soon. I would talk to your steward or BA they are the only ones that are / can help you. I hope you haven't been burning bridges with the union.

turdburglar

It seems that there is a lot more to this story then what we have heard. It also seems that your have had a bull eyes painted on you and it's not going away any time soon. I would talk to your steward or BA they are the only ones that are / can help you. I hope you haven't been burning bridges with the union.
I most certainly have not been burning bridges with the union (what could I do that would burn bridges with the union?) As far as I can tell, the steward is glad that someone is filing supervisors working grievances, since he said that if he was doing it, management would push the attendance issue in the building, and he would possibly end up having to fire some people (even if only temporarily).

What do you mean by "there is a lot more to this story than what we have heard"? All I can really admit that I have not said is that I used to be the "star loader", the one you may have in your building that literally (and I do mean literally) runs from truck to truck loading at a rate that no one else could possibly match (and with no misloads to boot). This was before.

Here is something important that I have not stated before either. Stating this (or not stating it) will either make or break the perception that some people on this board have of me, which is why I am stating it now. I have always known about the supervisors working language in the contract. I have asked my steward how I would go about filing supervisors working grievances several times in the five years that I have worked at UPS. I usually did this when management was pushing back staggers to unreasonable times, or was being very anal about production or misloads (rather, production and misloads, since it is really difficult to accomplish good numbers in both at the same time). I also had a major problem with management barking at us to "get off of their clock", only to have supervisors do our work instead, while having supervisors work throughout the day. However, I never had the balls to file because I feared termination (and what is happening to me now).

Here is something else that I have not said. I recently got injured at work, about 2-3 months ago. I hurt my wrist attempting to lift a heavy strapped package that was caught on some rollers. My full-time supervisor at the time said that she wanted me to get better, no matter how long it took, etc. etc. (the general bullspit you would get from the typical member of management). I signed off on having "no restrictions" at the doctor's appointment with the full-time supervisor in tow, because she seemed to be genuinely concerned about my injury (I only realized later how big of a mistake that was). I regret to admit that I was rather naive back then.

When I was screwed over by being forced to go back to my regular work after only about one and a half weeks, without the full-time supervisor even doing so much as asking if I was better (or even telling me that I was to go back to my regular work, she told my part-time supervisor to tell me instead), I realized just how much UPS cares about me and its employees. I have been wearing wrist braces to work ever since, since they help with the pain when I lift heavier packages. This was the incident where I grew balls, and started holding UPS accountable to the contract, just as they would hold me and everyone else accountable to do their jobs. I thought for a bit: What is the biggest contract violation that I can see with my own eyes that I can fight? Obviously, it is supervisors working. Again, I will state that I have had a problem with the way management uses their supervisors to make their numbers look good, all the while essentially robbing the bargaining unit employees who are supposed to do the work. This is why I am not ever going to let up on filing for supervisors working.

After my injury, I am no longer so naive as to think that UPS will take care of me if I injure myself at work again. This is where the (production) harassment stems. I will admit that I could avoid the production harassment if I simply continued to work at my old, ridiculous, and totally unsafe pace. I will admit that I could keep any load area clean, while following the methods, while getting no misloads, but like I said, it will require that I work at an extremely unsafe pace. Knowing how well UPS will take care of me if I get injured again, I do not work at that pace any longer. However, I have always taken offense at the fact that there are obvious slackers working at UPS (both on the hourly and the management side). I am not talking about "slow" loaders, I am talking about loaders that are clearly intentionally moving at a pace that no one would consider reasonable. Therefore, I refuse to work at such a pace, even if theoretically it is the safest pace.

I was a hard worker in the past, and I am a hard worker now. I just work at a much safer pace now, but I am still working faster than the vast majority of the people in the building, and I absolutely guarantee that no one could watch me work and say that I am not working hard. It is not good enough for management because they are taking issue with my grievances. I have told them several times that they could watch me work, all day if they have to, to see if I am working hard (and I stress that they can watch if I am working hard throughout the day, every minute of the day, while still getting backed up). They have refused every single time. I am not ashamed of the pace at which I work, and management knows that they would have to shut up if they were trying to prove the reason that I am backed up in 1200-1300 package load areas was that I was being lazy (if they actually bothered to watch me work). They know that they would have to revise their silly expectations of "240 packages per hour" and "0 misloads". I can get 0 misloads (which I feel is more important than production, if management actually cares about providing service to their customers over a bonus check for production). I cannot hit 240 packages per hour, while getting 0 misloads, while working at a safe (but brisk) pace. No one else can either, at least, not with the way things are in the facility in which I work. I have demonstrated as much, and they know it.

Knowing this, management knows that all they can do is continue to harass and (attempt) to intimidate me. It will not work. I know that my cause is just. I know that I am not in the wrong with anything that I am doing. I can go home with a good conscience every single day, knowing that I put in a fair day's work by anyone's standard.

That is all I have to say. Now you (and everyone else) know about my history, and my motives for what I am doing. Perhaps some people will lose some respect for me after hearing the whole story. But if anyone feels that what is currently happening to me is just, then that is their opinion. I have nothing to say to them.

Last edited:

turdburglar

Today I was moved back to my load area. The union steward came by early in the day and told me what happened. He said that he told the preload manager and the full-time supervisor that they have to move me back to preload. They said that they did not have to, and could use me anywhere they wanted to. The steward said that they would have a retaliation grievance on their desk if they did not move me back. They said that they did not care (no surprise there). The steward then called the secretary-treasurer of the local, who called up management and told them herself that they will have problems if they do not move me back. So I was loading again today. The preload manager watched me for the entire first half of the day, and could not find anything to criticize me on. Of course, he was never able to say that I was moving too slow, even as I was backing up working at the brisk pace that I was moving.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Today I was moved back to my load area. The union steward came by early in the day and told me what happened. He said that he told the preload manager and the full-time supervisor that they have to move me back to preload. They said that they did not have to, and could use me anywhere they wanted to. The steward said that they would have a retaliation grievance on their desk if they did not move me back. They said that they did not care (no surprise there). The steward then called the secretary-treasurer of the local, who called up management and told them herself that they will have problems if they do not move me back. So I was loading again today. The preload manager watched me for the entire first half of the day, and could not find anything to criticize me on. Of course, he was never able to say that I was moving too slow, even as I was backing up working at the brisk pace that I was moving.

Good for you man, unload is easy as hell but the hours arnt there. I cant tell you how many times I see 100+ people walking out after two hours in unload going home. Preload is were its at when you want a decent paycheck each week.

They shouldve move you back sooner then that. As a skilled worker, you have a dollar more for that skill. So they will throw you in an unload, no skills needed, and keep paying you that dollar more for no reason. Once branded preload skilled, no one should be let go else where in the building with no skill requirement. Its a waste of money in their eyes.

Returntosender

Burdgler good for you. One thing about this company it management ranks are disingenuous while appearing to be sincere. Especially when it comes to injuries. Cheaper to have an injuried employee work than pay the insurance company.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Keep up the good fight man. Sounds to me like you are defiantly stronger than management they will crack eventually.

turdburglar

Good for you man, unload is easy as hell but the hours arnt there. I cant tell you how many times I see 100+ people walking out after two hours in unload going home. Preload is were its at when you want a decent paycheck each week.

They shouldve move you back sooner then that. As a skilled worker, you have a dollar more for that skill. So they will throw you in an unload, no skills needed, and keep paying you that dollar more for no reason. Once branded preload skilled, no one should be let go else where in the building with no skill requirement. Its a waste of money in their eyes.

Management is petty enough to pay me a dollar more so that I can go unload, just so that they could feel like they were punishing me. They have apparently never dealt with anyone who actually filed grievances for the sake of filing grievances. The full-time supervisor actually pulled me aside and asked me why I was filing grievances, since most of the time "disgruntled" employees file grievances. Like I stated in my UPS story above, you could say that I was "disgruntled" to some extent.

But the fact of the matter is that if I was filing grievances simply because I was disgruntled, I would have stopped a long time ago out of fear (i.e., when they started to threaten my job every couple of days). I continued even when the full-time supervisor that gave me her bullspit line about getting better left. When I continued to file grievances, management asked me why I was still filing, since the full-time supervisor in question was moved. I told them what I said here, that I had always wanted to file grievances but was always too scared to do it. What she did, as a representative of UPS, erased all my fear and triggered my grievances, and now I will never stop.