movie review

UPSNewbie

And Simon Pegg was the perfect man for Scotty. If you don't know who Simon Pegg is, check out Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Both great movies.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We watched Quantum of Solice last night. I think that is the best Bond movie I have seen. I am finally warming up to Daniel Craig. He brings an intensity to Bond that few others have been able to. Excellent movie.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We watched Quantum of Solice last night. I think that is the best Bond movie I have seen. I am finally warming up to Daniel Craig. He brings an intensity to Bond that few others have been able to. Excellent movie.

He was also excellent in the movie in which he, along with his brother, helped the Jews escape from the Nazis (I can't recall the name of the movie off-hand).

over9five

Staff member

I agree 100%. I always hated Roger Moore, thought he was the worst Bond.

Timothy Dalton was a great Bond for the reason you mentioned, and Pierce Brosnan was very good.

Many people say Sean Connery was the best. I like him, but...

George Lazenby is almost forgettable, as he was only n one.

Now you all know my favorite movies are Star Trek and Bond!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I saw Star Trek yesterday when my kids took me out for my birthday. I thought it was great, they did a good job tying in a lot of stuff with the original TV characters. I guess I am a Trekkie, I watched the series on TV in my grade school years. I had dark hair with bangs and got called Spock a lot. It had Leonard Nimoy in it, but William Shatner was a no show.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We watched The Wrestler last night and I liked it.

I can't believe that Mickey Rourke was part of that sexy food scene from 9 1/2 Weeks with Kim Basinger. He is so far removed from the Hollywood mainstream and I think Wrestler is a one-hit wonder for him.

He's back to his chihuahua lovin' ways.:knockedout:

wkmac

Mac, I saw the first Underworld flick on it's opening weekend and I thought it was pretty bad, which is a shame because it was such a cool story idea (vampires vs werewolves). I haven't seen the next two in the series but I've always wondered if they managed to do a better job because I still find the whole premise intriguing and fairly original.
I did watch what I thought was an excellent vampire movie this past friday, Let the Right One In. Just released on Netflix. There's a Trailer if you're curious.
I finally put V for Vendetta on my list, I'll let you know what I think.

I'll have to check out "Let the Right One In" so thanks for the heads up.

Underworld/Rise of Lycans IMO was just more focused and had a sense of purpose to it verses the first 2. And obvious Rise has the overt political overtones that the first 2 did not or at least they were less pronounced. Now if you liked Kate Beckinsale in the hot Latex outfit, you'll be disappointed in the latest installment and to my surprise I've heard that objection but mostly from young 20 something male viewers.

Ah, to be young and dumb and full of......well.....you know, again!:happy-very:

V for Vendetta I like for obvious reason but V also shows the cruel, evil side of an opposition to tyranny even as it seeks to overthrow it. One of my favorite songs was a piece by Genesis circa 1971' called "The Knife" and how violent revolution to throw off tryanny often leaves society saddled with equal or even greater tyranny than they had in the first place. Very much impressed by political circustances of the day and the battles being wage under the umbrella of the cold war.

Hoping myself to see Angels and Demons soon. I found the Da Vinci Code a great who done it even though some license was taken with historical and actual fact.

I suspect Angels and Demons to be similar but then I'm walking in to see a work of fiction and not a documentary. Seems many folks on both sides of this movie can't realize that fact.

jmo

wkmac

We watched The Wrestler last night and I liked it.

I can't believe that Mickey Rourke was part of that sexy food scene from 9 1/2 Weeks with Kim Basinger. He is so far removed from the Hollywood mainstream and I think Wrestler is a one-hit wonder for him.

He's back to his chihuahua lovin' ways.:knockedout:

One Hit Wonder? Going forward maybe but looking back I wouldn't call Diner a one hit wonder.

It was stupid movie but I still liked his character in Marborol Man. And he did a western years ago that I thought was good and it was so good I can't remember the title!:happy-very:

Damn Sometimers Disease!
:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
wkmac.....yes, I definitely meant one hit wonder, moving ahead for Rourke.

We watched " The Bucket List" last night and I enjoyed it. Jack was lookin' a little fat in the face.....and did he really shave his head?? I like almost anything with Morgan Freeman in it. Good Movie !:happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I suspect Angels and Demons to be similar but then I'm walking in to see a work of fiction and not a documentary. Seems many folks on both sides of this movie can't realize that fact.

jmo
I think you have a great point there WK. If I recall correctly there was some what of an uproar from the church about the authenticity of The DaVinci Code. I don't watch certain movies because of their historical value. I watch them because I enjoy movies and if there is any history to them then it is an added bonus. Maybe I learned something.:happy2:

bigbrownhen

Hubby and I saw the new X-men movie, Wolverine, it was pretty cool. Lots of special effects and tied in alot of character history. We used to watch the cartoon with our boys when they were little, so it was fun for us.

jennie

I rented Doubt last night, was good, lil disturbing. Leaves you wondering. Just got home from dropping son off with friend to see Star Trek. They see the movies out, and then I rent, whats wrong with this picture, lol.