moving around

christian c

I have a lot of problems wiht the routes that i load (im a preloader) the volume is just too much and my co workers always tell me that as well. I take a full 5 hours every shift and my sup still has to wrap up every time I leave. Management will not reduce the volume and I have been in a very sticky situation between my union steward and management. I really just want to get away and do another route/ another job/ another hub.
I have about 5 months seniority, so it would pointless to bid on an open job. and I can transfer hubs without a year seniority. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO to just get away from this one cage that i pull from?. I hate going to work every time.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
As long as you're not misloading take as long to load the route as you need to do it safely and efficiently, if your preload sup is allowing you to take 5 hours to load the route why complain its not charity ya know after while of you loading at that pace either they will get tired n move you or just have to bite the bullet and deal with it either way you are doing nothing wrong so don't stress yourself, loading should not be on the list of high stress jobs in the world n if your steward isnt helping you in this matter maybe you need to contact your Fulltime Steward or BA n see what light they can shed on the issue:knockedout:

christian c

thanks for the advice.
and on the steward issue.. my part time sup sometimes helps me load and the steward gets on to him and wants me to file a grievance. He is doing the right thing but it is putting me "on the radar" with management.

evilleace

file a grievance if they have to pay you for the sup helping they might pull some of the volume off or at least get you the right kind of help.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
Nowadays the "declaration of war" for a sup touching the work is overused don't get me wrong it is justified at times but for the most part it really isnt, from my experience a shop steward its not always about the grievence other measures can be used to remedy the situation and in this situation the grievence will not be the most effective, u need to speak with your line sup (the 1 that helps you get wrapped) and request necessary "hourly" help or a lighter work load formally have your steward present at this point either the company will work with you or be obviously neglagent trust me the company doesnt like to risk ne more than it has to so they should work with you from there now if that fails u draw the line in the sand n file the grievence

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Nowadays the "declaration of war" for a sup touching the work is overused don't get me wrong it is justified at times but for the most part it really isnt, from my experience a shop steward its not always about the grievence ... if that fails u draw the line in the sand n file the grievence

Obviously not from the Chicago area.

Last edited:

happybob

Feeders
Your steward is doing the right thing. If you have been loading the same pull for your five months, are following their methods, and can't finish the work, you have to much work. Your supervisor is doing what his bosses are telling him to do, help you get it loaded on time. They need to fix the pull, and your steward is trying to force them to, by filing grievances to have them pay an hourly employee for the work the supervisor is performing, which is hourly work.

christian c

UPDATE: i have been moved to a different boxline loading a different route. The volume is just as bad, today about 50 packages would not fit in the 3 package cars i load, and the sup was loading almost the whole shift.

happybob

Feeders
UPDATE: i have been moved to a different boxline loading a different route. The volume is just as bad, today about 50 packages would not fit in the 3 package cars i load, and the sup was loading almost the whole shift.
Toooo many grievances filed on this issue to remember here. The company claims you are being trained. That's right, if they move a trained seniority preloader, to another pull, the sup can load the trucks with you until you get efficient on that new pull, and every pull they ever move you to. If we file a grievance it is denied by the company and they claim you are being trained. Got nowhere with the union on that one.:whiteflag: