Moving from UPS driver to FedEX driver. Need help!

zuma76

Hi guys.

I have been driving for 2 years as a TCD. I love the job, but thinking about making the move to FedEx because of the guaranteed permanent position. I am in my late 30s and HATE having to go inside during the free periods (Sept-Oct, and Jan-June). I don't know if the permanent position is coming soon or in 10 years.

I've spoken to some people at FedEx and they all tell me how much they need drivers and I've learned you get hired as permanent. I want to make the change, but also very nervous that I am making a mistake. There are obviously pros and cons to each place. My main issues are:

Benefits
Family time with my 3 kids
Being permanent

This is a nightly discussion with my wife and I keep going back and forth. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hi guys.

I have been driving for 2 years as a TCD. I love the job, but thinking about making the move to FedEx because of the guaranteed permanent position. I am in my late 30s and HATE having to go inside during the free periods (Sept-Oct, and Jan-June). I don't know if the permanent position is coming soon or in 10 years.

I've spoken to some people at FedEx and they all tell me how much they need drivers and I've learned you get hired as permanent. I want to make the change, but also very nervous that I am making a mistake. There are obviously pros and cons to each place. My main issues are:

Benefits
Being permanent

This is a nightly discussion with my wife and I keep going back and forth. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Don't do it. The benefits at Fedex suck, supposedly it will take you ten years to reach top pay at Fedex which will be less than $30, and the pension is a joke. Job is easier though and the management/hourly relationship is a lot better.

zuma76

The money to me isn't important. My wife has a good job. FedEx tops out around the low 60s. My friend has worked there for 17 years and that's what he makes. You start off a little higher than UPS $20, opposed to $18.75.

Please keep in mind that I am not really willing to go inside the building every year for 6 months and make $10 an hour. That's what you have to do during non peak. My main thing is to be hired permanent.

Also FedEx you go in earlier around 7:45 and get out much earlier. Having 3 little kids, that is very important to me.

Both jobs have ups and downs like I said. Weighing it out I think for me FedEx is a better fit.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Good things come to those who wait.

We have a driver who drove for a while, got antsy and went to drive for FedEx Ground (RPS then) and ended up coming back to UPS. He will tell anyone he truly regrets flip flopping. He makes more money at UPS and the biggest thing he lost was his seniority. He had to start all over when he came back.
Be patient.

zuma76

Good things come to those who wait.

We have a driver who drove for a while, got antsy and went to drive for FedEx Ground (RPS then) and ended up coming back to UPS. He will tell anyone he truly regrets flip flopping. He makes more money at UPS and the biggest thing he lost was his seniority. He had to start all over when he came back.
Be patient.

If I could keep driving and be temporary that would be fine, but for 6 months I have to work from 11:30 PM to 4AM for $125 a week loading trucks. The hours don't work at all with my wifes job and my kids situation. I almost have no choice really. If I don't do the inside, I fall to the bottom of the temps.

MAKAVELI

The money to me isn't important. My wife has a good job. FedEx tops out around the low 60s. My friend has worked there for 17 years and that's what he makes. You start off a little higher than UPS $20, opposed to $18.75.

Please keep in mind that I am not really willing to go inside the building every year for 6 months and make $10 an hour. That's what you have to do during non peak. My main thing is to be hired permanent.

Also FedEx you go in earlier around 7:45 and get out much earlier. Having 3 little kids, that is very important to me.

Both jobs have ups and downs like I said. Weighing it out I think for me FedEx is a better fit.
It sounds like you already know the answer. If time is more important FedEx sounds like a better fit. Just keep in mind you will have to pay for insurance for your family if your wife's job doesn't. Right now its $400+ a month for a family on the " premium plan ". Their is no traditional pension, just a 401k and a portable pension which after 25 years you might have enough to live on for about 5 years. And most of all no contract, no job security, and no guarantees when it comes to wages and benefits. So before you make that move, look at the long term before you decide. Good luck.

El Correcto

god is dead
I agree for the most part. Like I said, the gap which was huge a few contracts ago is getting smaller and smaller. FedEx is not as far behind as they were. I heard 4% raises at FedEx, I can only take it for what I was told but I believe the few express guys I talk to. on is current path FedEx will be paying what we pay within 10 years concerning top rate.

I would give up my pension in a sec for a simple 5% match 401k match, even 3% at our pay rate. My retirement plan has me long gone before I get any real pension money

The FedEx express guy on my route is amazed at some of the harassment stories I tell him. You truly have to be a ups driver to understand. If you are a FedEx driver idk if you know what it's like to have multiple suspension and intent to discharge situations. I'm not a slacker but I get harassed for following our contract

I have had brothers fired for a few weeks to months who ran out of savings and had to take a deal to avoid a perminat discharge, or waiting our th 2 years ups can hold up your case legally. Imagine $1300 take home weekly for years, and a few month discharge earting up your family's savings all for holding management accountable to our contract. 10-20k savings will be gone fast

I want us (ups drivers) to get big raises so most delivery companies increase their pay too. The bigger picture is important to me.

I would kill to make high 20s an hour, work 8 and skate and deliver small packages with a lot less harassment in an air conditioned vehicle. It took me 13 total years to reach top rate. Mo money mo problems

Pros and cons to everything in life my friend. Thanks for the input though

If you got insurance schedule some appointments get everything taken care of for he time being and I wouldn't even look back.

JL 0513

Sucks to be TCD. We don't have them here in my local. Only non-permanent drivers we have are during peak. I've been FT cover for 3 1/2 years and have never been cut.

Sounds like the OP's priorities will be better served at FedEx. Wants more time and doesn't need the big bucks. Just make sure you are guaranteed that permanent position before jumping ship.

Hi guys.

Benefits
Being permanent

Keep your eye on the prize.

overflowed

If things stay the way they are now , you will never top out and I'm not joking. I have a good friend just left from fedex to ups after not topping out for over 20 years. He has two small kids. If you aren't topped out from back in the days you never will. The only time you make ok money is the first year because they use it to get people in. you will realize pretty quickly the meager raises aren't even covering living increases. Your benefits suck if you can even call them that. In most instances you are really paying for them. Think wisely, talk to more people before you make a decision. You have a whole forum you can ask all the questions you want and most of us will answer truthfully.

MAKAVELI

$20 an hour at FedEx? Go for it. You'll won't be able to retire but they have it so easy you'll be able to work until you need a wheel chair
Not anymore. With amazon we del so many over 70 it isn't funny. And we have no such thing as driver assist. Lol

kingOFchester

If I could keep driving and be temporary that would be fine, but for 6 months I have to work from 11:30 PM to 4AM for $125 a week loading trucks. The hours don't work at all with my wifes job and my kids situation. I almost have no choice really. If I don't do the inside, I fall to the bottom of the temps.

Few things. In post #4 you said "The money to me isn't important. My wife has a good job." So making $125 a week for 6 months should not be an issue.

You said your inside shift will be 11:30pm - 4am. For the life of me, I don't see how this would have any affect on your kids or wife. If you have anything swinging between your legs, you could easily make these hours work unless your wife works nights.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Hi guys.

Benefits
Being permanent

No one knows if you're talking about FedEx or FedEx Ground.
FedEx - Go for it
FedEx Ground - Stay at UPS
At UPS, seniority rules !! You put 2 years in and you're number will eventually get called.
The pay and benefits are worth holding on but family time will be spent on the weekends, not weekdays.