Moving/transferring/info on any options...

rehrlund

My fiance and I are planning to move from VA to GA because my ex husband got a wonderful job there and we share custody of my 5 year old. He is starting kindergarten this year and will be in GA. Obviously we want to move to keep our entire family close together and that means relocating is absolutely necessary. He has worked at UPS for nearly 10 years and is a full time driver here in VA. What are his options, if any? His HR department gives him 0 information when he asks and just says he can't do it at all. Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Cman84

I was able to transfer as a part timer for educational reasons.but I lost building seniority.i went full time with ups and wanted to move closer to my family and I was told that I would have to quit and either get hired part time and start all over. Or if I was lucky I could get hired off the street as a driver.you would think that since ups is a global company they would hav more options to transfer.only mgmt has that luxury!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you're out of district and different locals. Sounds like you are. Your option is quit and try to get rehired off the street.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you're out of district and different locals. Sounds like you are. Your option is quit and try to get rehired off the street.
Transfer does not exist. Quit and get rehired as a part time loader and wait to go driver again.

The only transfer option available to the OP would be the educational transfer but for all intents and purposes his only choice is to quit and hope to get rehired in Georgia. 10 years is a lot of time to throw away.

Divorce him also?

They are engaged, not married.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Great for the kid. Don't plan on moving. Dad might want to pass on that job and stay put.

Last edited:

Future

Victory Ride
The only transfer option available to the OP would be the educational transfer but for all intents purposes his only choice is to quit and hope to get rehired in Georgia. 10 years is a lot of time to throw away.

They are engaged, not married.

Thanks for playing.
Wouldnt It be Intensive purposes? DR.Grammer

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
It might be possible to do a hardship transfer by going via corporate (key word: might) but there's no way they're going to let a FT driver transfer out of state and remain a FT driver.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've always thought that UPS should mirror FedEx's (Express, not Ground HD) way of doing things when it comes to hourlies being able to relocate. There was a FedEx driver in my area that transferred here when her husband's job relocated him to the area. She was part-time for a few years and shortly after going full-time her husband was moved back to the area they had come from. She was able to transfer back too. She had told me that FedEx basically has one seniority list for the whole country and it's linked to their employee I.D.. Or something like that. That would be great for us. Or at least by region or local. I know some locals already have that set up.

brownrod

I'm assuming the fiance of the driver is posting here because he told her there is no transfer and she did not believe him.
My ex wanted me to move and didn't believe me either when I told here there is no transfer.
I kept the job. got rid of the girl.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I've always thought that UPS should mirror FedEx's (Express, not Ground HD) way of doing things when it comes to hourlies being able to relocate. There was a FedEx driver in my area that transferred here when her husband's job relocated him to the area. She was part-time for a few years and shortly after going full-time her husband was moved back to the area they had come from. She was able to transfer back too. She had told me that FedEx basically has one seniority list for the whole country and it's linked to their employee I.D.. Or something like that. That would be great for us. Or at least by region or local. I know some locals already have that set up.

I agree.. to an extent. The company has recently begun cracking down on educational transfers for PT'ers because of perceived abuse of the system.. when, in fact, the company should simply let a PT'er transfer for personal reasons if: 1) there is an opening at the new hub, 2) their building seniority is end-tailed.

I have mixed feelings about FT employees transferring due to the length of time it takes to go FT.. if I was next in line for a package job and got bumped by some guy from another state, I'd be pretty upset.

Overpaid Union Thug

I agree.. to an extent. The company has recently begun cracking down on educational transfers for PT'ers because of perceived abuse of the system.. when, in fact, the company should simply let a PT'er transfer for personal reasons if: 1) there is an opening at the new hub, 2) their building seniority is end-tailed.

I have mixed feelings about FT employees transferring due to the length of time it takes to go FT.. if I was next in line for a package job and got bumped by some guy from another state, I'd be pretty upset.

Yes, it would suck to get bumped from someone that transferred in but at least we'd all have that opportunity based on our company seniority.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Company-wide transfers would lead to a lot of folks fleeing states like NJ for sure.