Moving up from unload to driver or cover driver this soon? or am i being bs'd?

I have only been at UPS for 3-4 months down here in Louisiana. Although I have worked at this same HUB in 2011 for peak season. I hate to be "that guy" but I am daily acknowledged as the hardest worker my bosses/coworkers have ever worked with. I've set a record of 19 minutes to unload a 100% feeder by myself. All Sounds douchy but ever since I started preload has been getting off between an 1 to 1 and a half hours early.

I'm only giving these details because today i was approached by the top dog in my center, and was told that there were going to be driving positions available and that he wanted me to sign the bid first(which the order doesn't matter i know). Anywho, he told me due to my drive and work ethic that he wanted to me on the road if I wanted to. Which is a hell yes! preload? 10$/hr?, 4 hours daily? I'd never miss it. He was also in my feeder unzipping bags while I unloaded like a madman. Which he definitely let the whole belt know, "THIS IS WHY Y'ALL GET TO GO HOME EARLY!". But this leaves me suspicious of my ultimate question...

Is there any cases of Extremely Hard work overruling seniority in any fashion whatsoever? Even if, which one of my good friend/coworkers told me, that I'd more than likely be a cover driver or drive air, then work my way up the ladder of seniority to FT driver? Or do you think that my boss just sees my hard work and tells me what I want to hear to ensure that i keep up the work ethic.

Won't quit UPS or be bothered by any reply so lay it on me. Sorry for tooting my own horn but it's important details.

chris9834

It depends what bid your signing. If you signed a ft bid And you get it then you would be a full time driver starting your 4 yr progression to top pay starting out as ft in my supplement in the south is 18.75... if you are signing a T.C.D. bid list then you will be a cover driver when they need you which right now in my area im not getting alot of days, T.C.D pay is 28.75 hr which we should be in the same supplement. I dont know much about air driver so I cant speak on that. But either way ft or T.C.D. you are at the bottom of the list so you cover all the junk that all the higher senority folks dont want, or doing split cars which I personally like which is a combination of running across town or whole center of assignment. I personally recommend T.C.D. if you can handle layoff back into warehouse, because if you go ft after day 30 in your packet you keep your 80% pay increase and 4 yr progress from it. Vs ft you get a the big oay diffrence the last yr of progression. any questions let me know.

Bottom rung

Easy now....dont hurt your shoulder. I would have went full time five years earlier if i listened to what ft management told me. And another thing....don't let your boss try to do your job. He's dangling a carrot. You'll catch on soon enough. Dig the enthusiasm though.

PT Car Washer

Only seniority gives you the opportunity to try and qualify driving. I have seen where the Center really wanted a certain person driving but didn't have the needed seniority. They just disqualified everyone else in front of him. Or piled the work on until a person disqualified themselves.

:throwpc:You are reason I hate ups. . And no. You won't be passing up any teamsters that work safely just because you work like an idiot.

working fast is the reason you hate it? gtf out of here. If thats your reason for you're hate, than you are the reason I HATE my unload-coworkers. I don't danger anyone, I like working hard and physical labor but not throwing boxes at anyone. It's frustrating when I sweat my ass off working and you and your counterparts can't split or unload so lazily I have to go around them to put my package on the roller. Show initiative man.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have only been at UPS for 3-4 months down here in Louisiana. Although I have worked at this same HUB in 2011 for peak season. I hate to be "that guy" but I am daily acknowledged as the hardest worker my bosses/coworkers have ever worked with. I've set a record of 19 minutes to unload a 100% feeder by myself. All Sounds douchy but ever since I started preload has been getting off between an 1 to 1 and a half hours early.

I'm only giving these details because today i was approached by the top dog in my center, and was told that there were going to be driving positions available and that he wanted me to sign the bid first(which the order doesn't matter i know). Anywho, he told me due to my drive and work ethic that he wanted to me on the road if I wanted to. Which is a hell yes! preload? 10$/hr?, 4 hours daily? I'd never miss it. He was also in my feeder unzipping bags while I unloaded like a madman. Which he definitely let the whole belt know, "THIS IS WHY Y'ALL GET TO GO HOME EARLY!". But this leaves me suspicious of my ultimate question...

Is there any cases of Extremely Hard work overruling seniority in any fashion whatsoever? Even if, which one of my good friend/coworkers told me, that I'd more than likely be a cover driver or drive air, then work my way up the ladder of seniority to FT driver? Or do you think that my boss just sees my hard work and tells me what I want to hear to ensure that i keep up the work ethic.

Won't quit UPS or be bothered by any reply so lay it on me. Sorry for tooting my own horn but it's important details.
You can unload like a madman everyday...and you'll till have to wait your turn via seniority like everyone else.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
working fast is the reason you hate it? gtf out of here. If thats your reason for you're hate, than you are the reason I HATE my unload-coworkers. I don't danger anyone, I like working hard and physical labor but not throwing boxes at anyone. It's frustrating when I sweat my ass off working and you and your counterparts can't split or unload so lazily I have to go around them to put my package on the roller. Show initiative man.
"Show Initative" vs working at a steady safe pace? My hourly payrate doesn't change regardless of my speed. I am not paid by the package.

Bren_dan

I challenge you to an unload off.

Seniority is king at the end of the day. I doubt your manager could bypass the bidding process and just give you a better job because you're a good worker. This is all unionized. Seniority rules, not merit. My experience is, if you're kicking ass as an unloader, that's where they'll want to keep you. At my hub, they would discourage you from doing something else if you're really good at one thing.

llamainmypocket

To answer your question, no. The process of turning into a driver involves signing the bid sheet, being contacted by a HR, completing the training, and passing the probation period. HR and your buildings supervisors are distinct and separate groups.

This a good system. It rewards those who have put in the time and disqualifies based on inability to do the actual job, not just someones opinion on how you would do. It removes favoritism and the risks of it. It provides certainty that you will be treated fairly and protects from those who would do otherwise.

This doesn't mean you won't turn into a driver quickly. There's been a pretty big hiring frenzy and each building is different. I was with ups for 11 months before i got my first call and i plan to be driving soon.

I challenge you to an unload off.

Seniority is king at the end of the day. I doubt your manager could bypass the bidding process and just give you a better job because you're a good worker. This is all unionized. Seniority rules, not merit. My experience is, if you're kicking ass as an unloader, that's where they'll want to keep you. At my hub, they would discourage you from doing something else if you're really good at one thing.

yea that's why i had to ask. I was just as skeptical as i was excited about it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So I can honestly pace myself and not risk injury and still end up in the same place within the same amount of time? What about bumping up to supervisor? same concept?
That's correct! Your sup is feeding you a line of :bsbullf:

Becoming a supervisor is a little different...that has nothing to do with seniority. I'm not familiar with the supervisor process....I would never go into management.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

A rookie who thinks he's the best thing to ever happen to UPS. RRRIIGGGHHHTTT.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So I can honestly pace myself and not risk injury and still end up in the same place within the same amount of time? What about bumping up to supervisor? same concept?
Driving, or other full time positions, are by seniority, and seniority alone. You wait your turn until your seniority allows you to get the bid.

There is no "bumping" up to supervisor. Either they want you to go into supervision, or they don't. Seniority does not matter. Although they like to take the new guys who don't know anything yet and brainwash them. Or at least teach them the "UPS" way.