MrFedEx Is Hiring Ground Drivers!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Then I will have to deal with constant turnover and other headaches...I guess.

The ISP in my locale has around 12 routes...I'm not going to give a specific number. Just based on the different faces I see every few months, I'd say he has a turnover rate of approximately 50%. He pays a flat rate, maintains an office with staff, and has his own mechanic.

bbsam

Staff member
The ISP in my locale has around 12 routes...I'm not going to give a specific number. Just based on the different faces I see every few months, I'd say he has a turnover rate of approximately 50%. He pays a flat rate, maintains an office with staff, and has his own mechanic.

I would say he is overextended.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Then why does he have 50% turnover?

Because he isn't paying enough for the work. All of his people I've talked with are right around 60 hours per week. They quickly figure out that they are getting screwed on the flat rate...and leave. One would think it would be better to pay more in order to retain people and avoid constant retraining and turnover.

bbsam

Staff member
Exactly. HD said he knew of several contractors set up roughly the same way. But if they don't have the tunover issues and the contractor in your locale, he is obviously doing something wrong. Could be poor negotiating with the company. Could be simply a greedy bastard. Who can say but the contractor himself?

HomeDelivery

there's one contractor i wouldn't sign up with; just because he doesn't really keep his vehicles in top shape... last time i drove a crappy truck & had a down time of 3 hours (unpaid) then transferred the rest of the cargo to try to finish the route w/in my 14 hour time limit

another contractor is as rough as sand-paper, but he tells the prospective drivers what he pays per stop & if you're not a runner-gunner, you may not make the cut....

Nick9075

Wanted: Simpletons who will work their ass off for nothing and realize that they want a job with no future for themselves or family. You must be willing to work long hours utilizing sub-standard vehicles that may or may not be properly maintained. You must also be willing to subject your family to long waits in the ER while they seek treatment for medical issues. Dental problems? Hell, I've got a pair of rusty Vise-Grips and some channel-lock pliers if there are any issues. Oh, and please be willing to work for nothing when I need you to, which will be often. Retirement? Not offered. Also remember that you take marching orders from FedEx, not me. I'm just here to make it all look good and above board and take my healthy cut of the action. Call now at 1-800-BIG-SCAM.

In the terminal where I am in NYC, they don't seem to be doing so bad. One of the contractors has a Porche Cayanne SUV, the station manager (who is hellbent on terminating my contract for some reason) has an Infiniti FX something SUV.. My drivers are making between $750 - $900 a week and helpers $500 or $100 a day (for a five day week).
I net around $1,100 a week which isn't much.. The guys are young in their early 20's they have career prospects, when you are in your late 30's like I am --- not so much

The amount of money that is going for repairs, gas @ $4.49 a gallon and tolls at 9.67 each way for a diesel truck is huge. One of the drivers thought it was OK apparantely to use the EZ pass for personal use on the GW Bridge & NJ Turnpike on a Sunday & Monday (days that aren't worked). I got a call from a property management company doing an employment verification on a driver for an apartment. I am paying close to $2,000 a month a few miles north of Boston and can't find get accepted even in a ghetto area paying half or less because of bad credit.

bbsam

Staff member
I have a brand new oxford white ecoboost f150 with a topper and entered into the Ground system for the days I do deliver.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I have a brand new oxford white ecoboost f150 with a topper and entered into the Ground system for the days I do deliver.

I've been hearing that the ecoboost's aren't all they're cracked up to be mileage wise...what do you think? My brother's 5.0 supercrew gets about 25-27 on the hwy and only drops to about 21-22 with the bass boat in tow.

bbsam

Staff member
I've been hearing that the ecoboost's aren't all they're cracked up to be mileage wise...what do you think? My brother's 5.0 supercrew gets about 25-27 on the hwy and only drops to about 21-22 with the bass boat in tow.

Nah. I only get abou 18 combined. The power output is impressive.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In the terminal where I am in NYC, they don't seem to be doing so bad. One of the contractors has a Porche Cayanne SUV, the station manager (who is hellbent on terminating my contract for some reason) has an Infiniti FX something SUV.. My drivers are making between $750 - $900 a week and helpers $500 or $100 a day (for a five day week).
I net around $1,100 a week which isn't much.. The guys are young in their early 20's they have career prospects, when you are in your late 30's like I am --- not so much

The amount of money that is going for repairs, gas @ $4.49 a gallon and tolls at 9.67 each way for a diesel truck is huge. One of the drivers thought it was OK apparantely to use the EZ pass for personal use on the GW Bridge & NJ Turnpike on a Sunday & Monday (days that aren't worked). I got a call from a property management company doing an employment verification on a driver for an apartment. I am paying close to $2,000 a month a few miles north of Boston and can't find get accepted even in a ghetto area paying half or less because of bad credit.

You are a contractor, right? How many trucks are you running? And what is FedEx making if you are only netting $1100 per week?