MT3 is Matthew Thornton III

hypo hanna

I hate it when we abbreviate his name or use nicknames for Frederick Smith and the rest. We should be giving credit where credit is due and these threads should be at the top of any Internet search. If we want the world to see them for who they are, we need to spell out their full names. Fred S, Dave Bronczek, Matthew Thornton III.

hypo hanna

Does I creased exposure open anyone here up to slander charges?

I wouldn't think any more so then now and I don't think they would try it unless it was particularly damaging. First they wouldn't want to be seen as interfering with someone's right to free speech and secondly the issue itself would have to be hashed out in a public court of law.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I hate it when we abbreviate his name or use nicknames for Frederick Smith and the rest. We should be giving credit where credit is due and these threads should be at the top of any Internet search. If we want the world to see them for who they are, we need to spell out their full names. Fred S, Dave Bronczek, Matthew Thornton III.

America's Most Wanted Corporate Criminals.

sjh

Does I creased exposure open anyone here up to slander charges?

So this would technically be considered libel, since it's written. Either way, in order to prove libel or slander, there would have to be proof that it caused damage. I think a print-out of FedEx's annual earnings would negate that really fast.

As for Express...good luck in court.

hypo hanna

Matthew Thornton III is fedex's senior VP and the talking head for all policy changes at express. Number three or four behind Frederick smith.

hypo hanna

In reality I don't think Matthew Thornton III has that much say so. That distinction would go to his boss Michael L Ducker FedEx COO. Thornton is just the face we see and I don't think it's by accident that its a minority's face either. Just like they use operations managers to absorb the wrath of the customer contact employees. They use the Senior VP for much the same function. It has had the most turnover and as far as i recall, its the only top executive position that has had woman and minorities.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In reality I don't think Matthew Thornton III has that much say so. That distinction would go to his boss Michael L Ducker FedEx COO. Thornton is just the face we see and I don't think it's by accident that its a minority's face either. Just like they use operations managers to absorb the wrath of the customer contact employees. They use the Senior VP for much the same function. It has had the most turnover and as far as i recall, its the only top executive position that has had woman and minorities.

I agree that it isn't an accident that we see MT3 either. FedEx is notably devoid of minorities at the top of the food chain, so they trot Matt out as an example of "diversity" when, in fact, there is almost no diversity in the upper echelon. Does anyone know if The Diversity Appeal is still being published? I haven't seen a copy in quite awhile.

bbsam

Staff member
So Matt is a token. Fairly offensive. Or is he actually good at his job and you can't get past color? I only ask because it is a distinct possibility that race got me in the door, but my performance and managerial skill is why I have had a fair deal of success. Or is that simply not possible?

hypo hanna

I never used the word "token". I just find it curious that the one position in the uppermost levels that has had the most turnover and has been held by a woman and a minority has been the same. He may be quite competent at the job but I suspect he has less say then is implied and his main function is to put a face of color on the decisions handed down.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So Matt is a token. Fairly offensive. Or is he actually good at his job and you can't get past color? I only ask because it is a distinct possibility that race got me in the door, but my performance and managerial skill is why I have had a fair deal of success. Or is that simply not possible?

Nobody ever said MT3 is a token. However, given the very white make-up of the Express hierarchy, one has to wonder. Previously, the highest minority was Jim Perkins, and nobody has ever come close to where Thornton is at. IMO, Matt got where he is by being an A-hole focused on productivity at all costs, and not his skin color.

Not sure if you aware of the large Black/Latino lawsuit (accusing Express of keeping said minorities out of management) against FedEx in CA from about 8 years ago. FedEx settled out-of-court for a large amount (I seem to recall $51M) and suddenly it was diversity everywhere. They created The Diversity Appeal, a very obvious attempt to "prove" FedEx was color-blind, and then Uncle Mattie was out in front of the cameras. I highly doubt this was a coincidence.

In other words, nothing has really changed except the flavor and tone of the dog and pony show. Still very few minorities up high, and not that many in leadership positions down low either.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree that it isn't an accident that we see MT3 either. FedEx is notably devoid of minorities at the top of the food chain, so they trot Matt out as an example of "diversity" when, in fact, there is almost no diversity in the upper echelon. Does anyone know if The Diversity Appeal is still being published? I haven't seen a copy in quite awhile.
"...so they trot Matt out as an example of "diversity" when, in fact, there is almost no diversity in the upper echelon." True, you didn't use the word "token", but....

MAKAVELI

"...so they trot Matt out as an example of "diversity" when, in fact, there is almost no diversity in the upper echelon." True, you didn't use the word "token", but....
But what? This company was born in the south and is a true " good ol boy network". To me it doesn't matter what ethnicity you are. If you have no leadership qualities and no ideas that have resulted in any positive way, you don't belong in that position.

bbsam

Staff member
But what? Well, save some key strokes and call him a token if that's what you're saying. No reason to clean it up...is there?

CJinx

I'm sure he is at least halfway competent at his job, but I'm also sure that the company is willing to use his minority status to their advantage.

Have you ever visited the Fedex intranet homepage? Whenever they have a group photo or something to go with an article, the thumbnail is usually a minority; when you click the story and see the full size photo, they are just one person, in a sea of white people. I didn't notice this at first until a coworker pointed it out to me, now it jumps out at me every time I see it.

I'm such a racist. :(