Multiple consecutive grievances...

Marne Vet

Backstory. New driver comes in, and covers your trip while you're on vacation for 4 weeks. Doesn't make his seniority, but they keep him around right from summer and into peak cover. He had one day running a trip cold, and like many of us he had a rough day. So back on my trip he went every week while I got moved to cover various call outs. I wasn't happy, but I have always worked with my management team rather than file a grievance. Didn't want the heat that comes with it.

Now it's Peak. On Monday I find out they have me covering my old trip that's basically a split trip. 90% residential, all DR's, and no pickups. This thing runs a minimum 250 a day with 350+ pieces during Peak, but it's been a lot worse this year. My trip during Peak? 160-170, 250 pieces max. Mostly businesses, with hardly any pickups. I asked to be put on my trip, and was told by my dispatcher "no". I tried to argue my case, but all he said was "You'll do as instructed, and can file a grievance" in a cocky manner. My road sup tried to make the switch and was overruled. My manager doesn't want to stick the kid on it cold, so he won't make the move. I like my sups, and manager. Probably the best management team I've had in two decades hands down. I really weighed my options, but at my age and with my broken down body, I can't maintain 280 stops a day like today, or yesterday, or the day before. I decided to put a grievance in on Tuesday. Didn't do a thing. I put another one in today. Still nadda. I basically told them I would put one in every day for the remaining 14 days if I have to cover this ridiculous split trip while a 3 month rookie driver without seniority covers my trip and a third of the work. I get the management side of the debate. I would do the same if I was in their shoes. That's not hypocritical, that's doing what needs to be done from the position even though it's wrong. They know it's not right, and two of my sups have spoken to me on the "side" about how messed up the situation is. I even spoke with my manager last night for 30 minutes just BSing in the office about the deal I've been dealt. My question is, to all with any advice, is how would you approach a situation like this? I'm ready to put 14 more grievances in every day until peak is over, or until I'm put on my trip. I highly doubt any move will happen, but if I back off now and just bend over, I'm not standing up for myself or for younger drivers that get screwed daily. I don't want the heat on me for doing this, but I also don't want to do this without a steadfast position from my side. My dispatcher won't even work with me. If he just lightened me up to 220 a day it would be easier on me, and I wouldn't even make this an issue. In the past this trip ran 220-230 no problems, and I was happy to do it. Cake run. Now though? I'm getting smoked in an 800, so you can only imagine what the inside looks like. No room for my hand-truck so I have to remove stops every day just to fit it. That bad. So, you're the driver in this situation. What do you do? I'd like any and all opinions. Good and bad. I wan't someone to argue the "Devils Advocate" point, and why I should drop the issue and just suck it up. I also would like to see an old timer chime in and give their perspective, and even if we have a few managers or sups around. How do you feel about a situation like this? ~MV

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Unless your regular route is a designated training route, file every day. Here, (and I really don't know if it's national language or not) a bid driver could bump any lower seniority driver off his bid route. Check with your steward.

DSM515

Is it a training route? If yes your screwed, happened too me last peak. If no smile and file every day on the dispatch guy and make sure you ask for money it's the only way they listen.

Marne Vet

You sound like a push over. Your words mean nothing to management, only your actions.

Two grievances are in, one ready for tomorrow morning. I have a stack of them for the 14 remaining days of Peak. So far both were turned in back to back days by my steward, and there hasn't been a hearing for either yet. Still anticipate covering the split trip tomorrow.

Marne Vet

Is it a training route? If yes your screwed, happened too me last peak. If no smile and file every day on the dispatch guy and make sure you ask for money it's the only way they listen.

It's not a designated training trip. The rookie is getting in before me, so there's no monetary compensation. Wanted to avoid all this paper, but it's really fired me up. Pushing 20 years verses a 3 month cover driver, this should be a no-brainer.

Marne Vet

IS YOUR ROUTE A TRAINING ROUTE?!?!?!?!?

No sir, it's not. This is basically them not wanting to move the kid to my trip because they know he'll have trouble the first few days. He's a good young driver already, and better than most of the rookies we've gotten. I like the kid, but not to the point I want to sacrifice my trip, and my sore body every day so he can be comfortable. In a perfect world maybe, but I'm getting killed out there daily.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Should of filed on day 1 back when he started. Now it's peak I'll bet nothing gets heard until after peak season.

I know guys hate to file but it's all in black and white they know the rules so I don't fee, sorry for them.

DSM515

Art. 37 harassment. 14 times against the dispatch guy. No they can't do this. Call your local ASAP. But I hope you follow you methods cuz THEY will be after you. But I wouldn't back down if it were me. I still would call your BA.

Brownslave688

Too late, dude. You were their little boy covering for them when you didnt have to. NOW youve suddenly grown a set???
These are the ones I feel bad for though. If you file from day one on stuff management knows not to mess with you. If you go years of working without filing and then decide to draw a line. Well those are the ones they like to :censored2: with.

Marne Vet

Art. 37 harassment. 14 times against the dispatch guy. No they can't do this. Call your local ASAP. But I hope you follow you methods cuz THEY will be after you. But I wouldn't back down if it were me. I still would call your BA.

Spoke with the Local this morning, and they're looking in to it. I follow the methods, and have been ridden before for stirring the pot. I'm not a trouble maker, or ever get in trouble. I can't even remember the last time I was called into the office for an error, and like I said, these are a good bunch of sups. I hate putting the paper in and them having to deal with it, but will remain steadfast in my position that I should be put on my trip, they lighten the kid up a little, and let him figure it out. It's setup in EDD almost perfect. All he has to do is get a starting point.

FilingBluesFL

Sounds like my kind of topic!

file, File, FILE!

Won't do jack crap, but if they don't like it.... throw out the 'ole ball and chain! Follow all your proper work methods, stop at every stop sign, don't roll through it, Give yourself a couple of good "Self Safety Check" days and make sure you dot the I's and cross the T's!

Marne Vet

Too late, dude. You were their little boy covering for them when you didnt have to. NOW youve suddenly grown a set???

I've put grievances in before. It's not like I rolled over and just let them bone me. In September they bumped me twice in a row and I filled one out. The boss caught me doing it before the PCM, called me in and asked what was up. I told him, and they moved me back to my trip without hesitation. The paper never had to get filed. I don't get moved without a fight, at least verbally, but have seen guys get screwed that went down the All Union road and tried to ride the company by the book. Getting bumped a time here or there to avoid having a target painted on my back was a better option than sticking a grievance in every time and then getting followed every week, or driver follows, because we all know what those are when they're gunning for you. That was my choice, good or bad. Some might understand, some may think it was a poor choice. I understand why.

Brownslave688

I've put grievances in before. It's not like I rolled over and just let them bone me. In September they bumped me twice in a row and I filled one out. The boss caught me doing it before the PCM, called me in and asked what was up. I told him, and they moved me back to my trip without hesitation. The paper never had to get filed. I don't get moved without a fight, at least verbally, but have seen guys get screwed that went down the All Union road and tried to ride the company by the book. Getting bumped a time here or there to avoid having a target painted on my back was a better option than sticking a grievance in every time and then getting followed every week, or driver follows, because we all know what those are when they're gunning for you. That was my choice, good or bad. Some might understand, some may think it was a poor choice. I understand why.

I'm a bid vacation cover driver and I've been down this road a few times. I file every time they try to not put me on my bid. Only had to do it a few times now I'm on the route I bid no questions asked.

I understand not ruffling feathers but the only guys I ever see get moved are the ones that let them move them. Come in grab your board say no I'm running my route. Those are the guys that never get bumped.

FilingBluesFL

Last peak they tried to stick me on a drivers route bid...

Because he moved on to the "new" route they created, that covered ALL his residential stuff, with no pickups.

I said friend that. He would get medical and doctors buildings that would, every other week or so, get 30+ piece deliveries... sometimes if the CHI wasn't with me, All of them, on the same day.

And add on top of that, he was always more than happy to cater to them, and put certain boxes here, and other boxes there, and the people would get pissy with me because Homie Don't Play That.

I was told by a VERY GOOD union steward, that he technically WAS doing his route, because it was all work that he would regularly be dispatched with.

I guess I said enough naughty words to management because a day later I wasn't doing that route anymore for the rest of peak...

C

chuchu

Agreed. I take ownership of failing to act sooner. :(
We had a driver who punched in and after he saw his dispatch (after the PCM) went to the restroom, seemingly got sick and took himself out of service.
After a couple of those illnesses the PDS got the issue fixed.
The company preys on the weak.
They're never totally your friends so get that settled in your mind today. If the center manager was so great and honest he'd fix your issue. The pds doesn't run the building.