Multiple consecutive grievances...

upschuck

Side deals? I take the time while on road to train my helper so that he can be a teammate rather than a go-fer and you call that a side deal? My route is a mixture of commercial and residential and my helper is trained to the point where he can do everything except for multiple left-ats. I have several medical offices on my route and I send him in to one building while I do the other. He knows how to put room numbers in, sheet and complete the stops all on his own. If I finish my side before he does I will find him and help him with what he has left. He hustles but also works very safely.

407 is a joke----the sooner you realize this the better off you will be.

I was ready to agree or like your post, until you put that last part in. :deletesmiley2:

Marne Vet

Had a hearing for the first three grievances this morning. Was instructed to do the trip I'm currently on because the company doesn't think it would be wise to send a new guy out cold during peak. When we asked what they would do if that trip was suddenly created again next Peak, and a new guy had to learn it, how would that be different than sending a new guy out tomorrow? "We'll cross that bridge next year." My steward won't sign off on these grievances because we don't agree with the outcome this far. Dropped number 4 on the desk today, and back on the split. The company has the power to do whatever they want. Just have to work as instructed and eat it. Not happy, but I'm not gonna keep pissing and moaning over it. I have 10 more to fill out and put in. At least I'm not just rolling over and taking this quietly. Stay safe all. Out.

C

chuchu

Most stewards routes are set up to be easy. A combination of either them standing up to UPS or they are company yes men who get special favors. I have seen it go both ways but either way means every steward route I saw was easy.
I refuse to accept favoritism in any way as a steward. Not all stewards are like that.

C

chuchu

You are going to try to call the 1-800# to file a complaint against your mgt team? Good luck with that----they won't take your complaint. I tried to call in a complaint against our OMS for repeatedly giving out my personal cell phone number without my permission to customers. They wouldn't take my complaint. There is a separate 1-800# for your concerns.
There's a DOT Commercial Division phone number that you can find for your area to report this to.
Tell the UPS Ethics hotline person that you're calling it if the company changes your timecard again.

Most stewards routes are set up to be easy. A combination of either them standing up to UPS or they are company yes men who get special favors. I have seen it go both ways but either way means every steward route I saw was easy.
Every steward I've ever had in my building has impeccable methods. This is because we live in a constant glass house. Most can burn our routes because they cut the corners that WE know we can't because they would love to BURN us.

FilingBluesFL

Was instructed to do the trip I'm currently on because the company doesn't think it would be wise to send a new guy out cold during peak. When we asked what they would do if that trip was suddenly created again next Peak, and a new guy had to learn it, how would that be different than sending a new guy out tomorrow? "We'll cross that bridge next year."

I always find it amazing, that every year, they put the "new" people on the sweet routes, and then stick the senior swings with the crap routes.

"It's because he doesn't know any other route than that..." "Well, that's YOUR fault when you kept them on the same, sweet cake routes all summer long, when YOU could have gotten off your ass and TRAINED them to do MORE!"

God forbid they get off their asses and out of that office for anything other than food to feed their faces.:ashamed:

laffter

I read through page 1 and get the gist of what's going on here. Typically, threads tend to stray off onto other topics after the first page or 2 so I didn't read the rest to see if this had been asked or answered.

Marne Vet, why don't you work at a slower pace if this is causing physical problems for you? They will get the hint when you start calling in daily asking them what to do with the remaining 60+ stops you won't be able to deliver before you hit your max for the day.

laffter

What if the employee admits that he has been working unsafely (running, etc) due to the extreme workload, and has decided that it is not worth risking his personal safety over? Can the company reprimand him based solely on his admittance?

If not, then admitting so would throw "demonstrated performance" out of the problem, I imagine.

C

chuchu

Let's say Marne is running a 22.0 SPORH and after taking "advice" from this forum is suddenly running a 16.0. With all else being equal how can he justify such a drastic change?
Acute joint pain can occur at any moment.

When you're pushing yourself too hard to make the dispatch look iintelligent and incur acute joint pain from repetitive motion in confined spaces, end of range motion, etc, arthritic issues can flare up that you have rarely experienced before on reasonably dispatched routes.
Art 37 does cover that issue and can be pushed.
Will you get a OJS ride? Probably.

If you havent been completely doing the methods I'm sure the driver will get his mind right on that issue.

Working at a pace that is unsafe puts you at risk and causes workers comp issues. All the ups heroes need to stop that immediately for their own longevity.

Neither you or I can diagnose another drivers joint condition so we need to quit judging what another can and should do.

Never use the term " slow down". That translates into " work stoppage". We need to encourage each other to work and drive at a pace that is safe and won't destroy our bodies. Too many hips and knees are being replaced and the company will blame us for working unsafely when all along their main concern is "stops per car".