Multiple consecutive grievances...

Let's say Marne is running a 22.0 SPORH and after taking "advice" from this forum is suddenly running a 16.0. With all else being equal how can he justify such a drastic change?

" I was under duress from my supervisor to give him the numbers he said he wanted while on my demonstration ride. I began to experience pain in my body as well as close calls on safety in order to continue to try and meet those numbers.
I then began to follow the UPS methods and the pains have begun to subside and I also feel safer in performing the duties of my job."

" I was under duress from my supervisor to give him the numbers he said he wanted while on my demonstration ride. I began to experience pain in my body as well as close calls on safety in order to continue to try and meet those numbers.
I then began to follow the UPS methods and the pains have begun to subside and I also feel safer in performing the duties of my job."
No offense Cach but you seem to cool to ever be in duress.

No offense Cach but you seem to cool to ever be in duress.

The stuff that gets their attention is out there if you just pay attention. Having had to interact with HR and various other sources teach you the awesome catch phrases they don't want to hear unless it's them using it against us. They work just as well in they're direction.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

"I am doing the best I can.... in the safest manner possible."

Production or performance observations.... are subjective.... at best.

Certainly, not subject to discipline.... when providing a "fair days work".

The operative term.... being "fair".

Demonstrated performance.... can only be quantified as an average.... at best.

With all things being equal.... the company would be able to consistently demonstrate their

expectations. But....they can't.

Be safe.

-Bug-

FilingBluesFL

Let's say Marne is running a 22.0 SPORH and after taking "advice" from this forum is suddenly running a 16.0. With all else being equal how can he justify such a drastic change?

Bending at the knee's instead of leaning over at the back. Takes time.

Assuring you have a firm footing on the stairs of the truck, while grasping the hand rail, and using three points of contact instead of just jumping up the stairs and not assuming 3 points of contact. Takes time.

Completely stopping at each and every stop sign, and looking left right left, instead of just looking to the left and rolling through a stop sign. Takes time.

Counting 1,2,3, and THEN going after the car in front moves instead of pulling away as the car in front does. Takes time.

Using the hand cart for oversized and overweight packages instead of just "muscling them" to the door. Time to take hand cart out, then package out, then put hand cart back in car. Takes time.

Marne Vet

I read through page 1 and get the gist of what's going on here. Typically, threads tend to stray off onto other topics after the first page or 2 so I didn't read the rest to see if this had been asked or answered.

Marne Vet, why don't you work at a slower pace if this is causing physical problems for you? They will get the hint when you start calling in daily asking them what to do with the remaining 60+ stops you won't be able to deliver before you hit your max for the day.

I have, but this is something I've dealt with for a few years now. I'm definitely not a fast worker, but I stay consistent. The difference is in the volume. If I'm on my trip I'm doing 155-175 max, with about 250 pieces max. I'm almost double that every day on this split trip, and I can feel the difference. Been keeping my helper for 8+ hours every day just to get done. It's never been about speed, or my pace. I can hold a decent average for SPORH. I think my helper and I were averaging over 35 stops an hour with sorting. This is all about how much heavier I am going out, and how it's affecting me physically. I was already hurting daily on my trip, and now I'm basically doing double that every day. Hard to keep it going. I already collect 50% disability from the VA for when I was wounded. Ultimately might have to bid indoors and worry about my family schedule obligations later.

neartom

You are kidding me, 20 years on the job and your letting mgt screw with your route. File and keep filing till you get carpel tunnel from writing grievances.

Marne Vet

You are kidding me, 20 years on the job and your letting mgt screw with your route. File and keep filing till you get carpel tunnel from writing grievances.

I'm not "letting" them do it. This is something that happens a lot in my Center. Senior drivers are bumped a lot to cover call offs, or vacations. Hardly anyone ever files a grievance. There's a feeling that it doesn't do anything, and last week is a testament to just that sentiment. I'll keep turning them in. Maybe something will change, but I doubt it since I was bluntly told that it won't.

Marne Vet

You can collect money for being disabled while doing all that is required to be a UPS delivery driver? Is that legal?

Completely legal. As long as I pass my DOT it doesn't matter. The reasons for my 50% do not interfere with my ability to work, or pass the DOT exam. I have partial hearing loss from the blast etc, but not total. My wounds were to the left side of my head which physically healed. Problems sleeping and other issues are what the disability are for.