Muscle fatigue

NotEnough

I've been an employee for about 2 months now. I am a loader that runs about 450....building 8's I guess w/e. I keep getting a strange pain in my arms on heavy days... It doesn't bother me at work so much, it's the worst when I am trying to sleep. It is a stabbing pain up both my arms (mostly the right). I have notified my sup several times now(he seems indifferent). My only guess is the motion I make with the scanner. I assume this is very common and I was wondering if anyone had any kind of exercise sort of thing to help it out?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
As to the first few sentences...I have no idea what the :censored2: you're talking about. As to the pain in your arm, it's not common. It sounds like you have a pinched nerve somewhere. That's usually what sharp pain alludes to. Find out what it is and fix it. UPS will not magically heal that. Good luck.

sortaisle

I don't mean to be mean with my first sentence...I understand that most locations have different lingo for what they call sorts or shifts or package cars...never heard your terms ever...been working here for 18 years. Hope it works out for ya.

NotEnough

I don't mean to be mean with my first sentence...I understand that most locations have different lingo for what they call sorts or shifts or package cars...never heard your terms ever...been working here for 18 years. Hope it works out for ya.

I was just putting pph and quality so people have a grasp on the load I have...I of course realize people have much higher. PPH must be company wide, quality at my hub is rated 1-10.

sortaisle

450 an hour would get you blow jobs where I'm at. So would building an 8 of 10-tier/wall. Have your carpal tunnels checked. Have your shoulders checked. You may have had a problem you didn't know about for years and UPS was kind enough to force it out of you. Seriously, it doesn't sound all that promising leaving it be.

NotEnough

Well no bj's so far... Quality was what I set out for thinking speed would follow....even though my trainer told me "They pay you for quantity not quality." Anyway, I appreciate the responses.

sortaisle

Yeah, your sup is full of crap. They'd like to make you work fast and crazy, but the reality is, the contract that they signed says a fair days work for a fair days wage. Can't blame them for trying. And you should work hard...but work hard for yourself not for them. Also realize it's not worth destroying your bodies future for someone who only pays you for quantity over quality. If I was a manager and I heard those words coming out of my pt sups mouth I'd ream him for contributing to UPS quality issues.

NotEnough

Also, the one time my walls sup talked to me he said i had to go to a doctor with him... I am sure they are (tinfoil hat) ups's doctors. I am not sure how to fight this.

NotEnough

Yeah, your sup is full of crap. They'd like to make you work fast and crazy, but the reality is, the contract that they signed says a fair days work for a fair days wage. Can't blame them for trying. And you should work hard...but work hard for yourself not for them. Also realize it's not worth destroying your bodies future for someone who only pays you for quantity over quality. If I was a manager and I heard those words coming out of my pt sups mouth I'd ream him for contributing to UPS quality issues.
Ohh... I dug in dont worry, he came out of that situation looking like an idiot. You want to build on _____ or _--__-_-_

J

jibbs

But... If I could bring us back to the point...HORRIBLE pain keeps me awake.
Solutions?

Basically, you can either go to the doctor and get a professional opinion, you can work through the pain and gamble on your body adjusting to the condition and healing itself, or you can self-medicate and work through the pain while most likely causing more damage to whatever injury is causing you nighttime pains.

If it were me, I can't lie, I'd work through it. I've been working through 3 hairline metacarpal fractures (two down my ring finger, one down my little finger) and a latticework of spiral and torsion fractures going down from the base of my fingers to about several inches up my forearm past my wrist.. Haven't missed a day, brutha, happened three Fridays ago.

What doesn't kill you....

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Basically, you can either go to the doctor and get a professional opinion, you can work through the pain and gamble on your body adjusting to the condition and healing itself, or you can self-medicate and work through the pain while most likely causing more damage to whatever injury is causing you nighttime pains.

If it were me, I can't lie, I'd work through it. I've been working through 3 hairline metacarpal fractures (two down my ring finger, one down my little finger) and a latticework of spiral and torsion fractures going down from the base of my fingers to about several inches up my forearm past my wrist.. Haven't missed a day, brutha, happened three Fridays ago.

What doesn't kill you....
You're young, Jibbs....not going to tell u what to do...but we have medical insurance for a reason. You'll miss your joints when they start to go. Not to mention we're loaders...our hands are kind of important to our jobs ;)

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When I was loading feeders inside I would get pain in my arms and elbows and found it was the way I was holding my scanner and craning my arm. I stopped trying to crane my arm around packages and holding my arm/wrist/hand in an unnatural way and popped a couple advil for a couple of weeks and was good as new. Move the package to you with the label facing you instead of repetitively trying to move your arm around the package over a thousand times a day.