must ask permission to go to the restroom

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
The only "valid" reason for relieving yourself between two trailers would be that you are just too lazy to walk to the restroom. You don't have to have permission to use the restroom, but you have to notify your supe that you are going to use it. I can understand why they have a problem with it. There are those employees who abuse this just like anything else.

over9five

Staff member
I agree with informing the sup you will be in the restroom.

But asking permission implies that the sup is able to deny the request. That's where there is a problem.

I have to believe that any problem of people abusing restroom use has to be very few and far between. Perhaps these employees need to be spoken to privately instead of beginning a ridiculous policy.

paidover95

we had a sup tell a guy about 15 years ago during a ojs ride he couldnt go the bathroom until his approved break time.so he peed in someone front yard after making the delivery,was fierd,then reinstated on his driving job by the union

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
yes you read that right

we got a 19 year old supervisor on the dock who thinks that hes the terminal manager...he announced at the meeting that you must ask him or another supervisors permission to go to the restroom or to get a drink of water, for all jockeys and dockworkers...he said this is because we are not suppose to be going to the restroom or the breakroom to get water unless we are on break (and the breakroom is the only place with drinking water)

its basically the biggest crock of smile* ever and wont hold up for a second.....we all told him we will not be following this, you cant tell me or anybody else when or if we can go to the restroom, or if we are in there for too long

i believe in obey now grieve later, but not on this situation, this is just ridiculous

stewards and business agents already been notified and they all said that he can not do this

No, just go.

If you gotta go you gotta go man! If they retracked then this person could claim they are working them as slaves.

Theres no way a person in a work place cloud claim anything on someones natural calls of nature. I go when I please, nouth said.

jennie

You guys should ask him to write you a bathroom pass like in elementary school so the other supervisors know you are allowed to go to the bathroom.

I am cracking up, I say that all the time "hey, you got a hall pass" hahaha, because they do look at you with cross eyes if you gotta go, maybe the stupidvisors<<(never heard that one) wear depends and go in there pants.

Mike57

Employer has a right to know where you are at at all times in case of emergency. Work as directed. Now he must be accountable to being present at all times (unless he is working with a group of mang. employees.)
Yes, That is correct . Just say I'm headed to use to restroom, then let him/her know when you get back!

fethrs

I usually say I'll be right back, but if sup shouts out "Wher are you going?" so half the building can hear, I shout back "To go pee, you want to watch?" My sup doesn't like that but the guys get a laugh out of it. I don't like to do it but sometimes I needs too.

tieguy

Banned

But asking permission implies that the sup is able to deny the request. That's where there is a problem.

I have to believe that any problem of people abusing restroom use has to be very few and far between. Perhaps these employees need to be spoken to privately instead of beginning a ridiculous policy.

Its possible our 19 year old jim casey has not discovered this secret yet.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
No, just go.

If you gotta go you gotta go man! If they retracked then this person could claim they are working them as slaves.

Theres no way a person in a work place cloud claim anything on someones natural calls of nature. I go when I please, nouth said.

thats your right. However where you can get your but in trouble is by not informing the supervisor that you are going. You at least have to follow that part of the instruction. If the sup is stupid enough to try to deny you the trip then thats on him. Just go with no conversation and you open up the failure to follow instructions bag of tricks.

Also keep in mind that there really is nothing in the contract that says we have to pay you for the time you're in the bathroom or break room. So they can insist you code yourself out to break if you go. The whole issue gets ugly at that point.

thus my point that I think City and his group needs to police thierselves to ensure they are not abusing the privledge of being paid for the time you go to the bathroom or break room.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Another great topic to waste a lot of time on. Maybe if supervisors worried half as much about taking care of the customers as they do about whether or not we should be paid to pee, we would be much better off.

Customer: How come we get a different driver and delivery time everyday?

Supervisor: We had to make sure they were not peeing on our time. Sorry.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Another great topic to waste a lot of time on. Maybe if supervisors worried half as much about taking care of the customers as they do about whether or not we should be paid to pee, we would be much better off.

Lawl :happy-very:

tieguy

Banned

we sometimes forget that an important part of taking care of the customer is controlling cost.

You could also make the argument that the sort may not be making its service committments to get everything moved and processed on time if they have people constantly in the bathroom or break room instead of doing thier jobs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
we sometimes forget that an important part of taking care of the customer is controlling cost.

You could also make the argument that the sort may not be making its service committments to get everything moved and processed on time if they have people constantly in the bathroom or break room instead of doing thier jobs.

With all of the supervisors sneaking around (and not-so sometimes) doing union work, it all evens out now doesn't it?

tieguy

Banned
With all of the supervisors sneaking around (and not-so sometimes) doing union work, it all evens out now doesn't it?

I'm not sure what it has to do with this issue. But to address your point if you could stop the clock when you see that supervisor working you could probably find someone standing around with thier thumb up their rear.

Back on topic. There is a reason this young supervisor is raising hell about bathroom and break room breaks. He didn't wake up that morning and decide everything else is perfect and its time to eliminate bathroom breaks.

On this site we can get all dramatic and act offended that the supervisor would even tackle such an issue. But again there is a reason for it and it sounds like some or all of the workers in that depot is doing a little too much screwing off.

City Driver

they should put a water cooler out on the dock, and if they are that concerned about the restroom then they should put a restroom out there too.....the restroom is on the other side of the building almost

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I would challenge him and use the bathroom when you needed to. If he wants to discipline you,let him. Grieve it, if you lose and get fired sue UPS. Do you think UPS would want a story like this to go public? They would get rid of that power happy greenhorn before they let you go.

SKAGITDRIVER

bottom line you can not deny someone the use of the bathroom if the supervisor is not present tell a co-worker and go use the bathroom, as far as a water break management is on us about staying hydrated shouldnt be a problem there either bring a water bottle and fill it on your break

A

anonymous6

honestly if your on the dock or in the yard and you only have to piss, the best thing to do is just piss between 2 trailers that way u dont have to walk all the way to the bathroom

overnite didnt even care when we did that, its 10x quicker and your just pissing on concrete

you should go into management.

KidUPS

That has mess written all over if. If this employee is abusing his right to use the restroom, then more then likely he is not afraid to stir up trouble making accusations. Address the work group in PCM. Follow up again to include employees who were absent. Then if it occurs again, follow individually with witnesses.