Must be a "good" Driver in order to be a "good" Supervisor

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Re: Reasons a driver would want to go into Management

We have ancient time studies that in no way reflect the reailty of 2009.

Nor did they in any way reflect the reality of the time they were done. They were never intended to be fair or realistic in the first place, and time has done nothing to change that fact.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Absolutely there are. Why do some drivers bonus on any route they do while the bid driver is always 1+ hours over? Those skills include: skipping breaks and lunches, speeding, running, throwing packages, doing pickups when most convenient instead of complying with pickup times, DRing in driveways instead of going to the house, etc... Just to name a few.
ooooohhhhh That's what the methods are. Well thanks but no thanks. I think I will pass.:surprised:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Absolutely there are. These include a good memory, a strong sense of direction, a solid work ethic, and the ability to think on your feet and to respond to changing conditions. It is possible to take care of your customers, take your lunch and break(s) and be a scratch driver.

My on-car drove for 15 years before going in to supervision. The move worked out well for him and his family and helped him put 2 kids through college with the last in his sophomore year. He was a solid driver--not the fastest but most certainly not the slowest, always took care of his customers. He has never forgotten what we go through out there but also knows when someone is trying to BS him. I don't mind helping him if he asks me to.
Sweetheart, I use these methods everyday. We have talked and I believe you know this to be true. I have no reason to lie. I do my best everyday. I have made major improvements in the last year. Even to my own amazement. I run rte numbers better than some of the regular drivers. I don't run, I take my lunch and breaks, my priority is almost (caveat to follow) always my customers. You do have to admit that there is the factor of the rte itself and the numbers associated with that rte. I am not the fastest nor am I the slowest. But I can only be as good as what the numbers are for the rte. Some of those numbers are not even in this world.

For the first time since I started at UPS I have an on-rd that I like and trust (only as far as I can throw him :wink2:) For him, I would help out and have helped out.

Caveat: I don't let customers abuse me. If push came to shove my customer will get the short end of the stick if they think they can get away with abusing me. I would have no problemn what so ever delivering to a customer 5 minutes before they close if they are abusive.

brownrodster

ooooohhhhh That's what the methods are. Well thanks but no thanks. I think I will pass.:surprised:

I heard that one of our drivers was seen delivering 9 stops without turning his truck off :funny::funny: They didn't teach us that at driver school.
I also saw a driver deliver my neighborhood without a seatbelt on.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I heard that one of our drivers was seen delivering 9 stops without turning his truck off :funny::funny: They didn't teach us that at driver school.
I also saw a driver deliver my neighborhood without a seatbelt on.
Ya, I've seen subs deliver my neighborhood the same way.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

Sweetheart, I use these methods everyday. We have talked and I believe you know this to be true. I have no reason to lie. I do my best everyday. I have made major improvements in the last year. Even to my own amazement. I run rte numbers better than some of the regular drivers. I don't run, I take my lunch and breaks, my priority is almost (caveat to follow) always my customers. You do have to admit that there is the factor of the rte itself and the numbers associated with that rte. I am not the fastest nor am I the slowest. But I can only be as good as what the numbers are for the rte. Some of those numbers are not even in this world.

For the first time since I started at UPS I have an on-rd that I like and trust (only as far as I can throw him :wink2:) For him, I would help out and have helped out.

Caveat: I don't let customers abuse me. If push came to shove my customer will get the short end of the stick if they think they can get away with abusing me. I would have no problemn what so ever delivering to a customer 5 minutes before they close if they are abusive.
the job is like anything in life,, some people are just better at it than others, i have never had a problem running a route trace and i really dont understand how people run overallowed, but thats just me

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

the job is like anything in life,, some people are just better at it than others, i have never had a problem running a route trace and i really dont understand how people run overallowed, but thats just me
Say what you want but over-alloweds may be as much the rte (namely time allowances) as the driver.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Leaving a vehicle running on an airplane ramp is one way to ensure the vehicle jumps the brake, somehow engages a "D" gear and results in $1M of damage.
The individual doing that exhibits a lack of safety-conciousness and needs to be re-trained

UPS Lifer

The general pattern seems to be that people rise to the level of their incompetence, which is where they stay until they quit/retire/get fired. I reached my level years ago :happy-very:

You have read the "Peter Principle"! Very good - I do believe in that principle as well. But as with all rules or principles there are exceptions.

UPS Lifer

For the first time since I started at UPS I have an on-rd that I like and trust (only as far as I can throw him :wink2:) For him, I would help out and have helped out. ....

Dill,
You just hit on the intangible that make s a good supervisor or manager. I do believe that trust is also a key concept of that. The key to a supervisor's success is building a relationship that reaches across our job descriptions. They are able to create an atmosphere of teamwork and spirit and an attitude of "want to" versus "have to".

It has nothing to do with being a good driver. Though I am sure there are a lot of supervisors who might disagree with that. It may have some bearing on your skill set but that is it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Leaving a vehicle running on an airplane ramp is one way to ensure the vehicle jumps the brake, somehow engages a "D" gear and results in $1M of damage.
Leaving a vehicle running in a subdivision, the brake is now working properly, and rolling over two kids playing in the front yard will result in how much damage? Or plowing into a bus full of kids....?

That is why in many places that will get you fired on the spot. But over the years, there have been several rollaways where the driver was not terminated.

As has been mentioned, management is a whole different game than delivery. Totally different skill set.

One thing that is simular are people skills. The driver that cant work with customers, how are they ever going to work with employees. You can train them at "people school" and they can graduate at the top of the class, and still not be able to put the education to practical use.

Honesty and integrity are also transferable pluses.

One thing that is missing though are sups that will try to teach the methods, but dont use them personally, both as a driver and a sup. Nothing like "do as I say, not as I do" when training new drivers.

I suspect that is one of the reason why we have so many drivers not following methods?

As to the subject of loyalty, it runs both ways.

As a manager, if you want loyalty and respect from those that work for you, you must also show that to them.

I have had several managers I would go to the ends of the world for, and some I would not piss on if they were on fire. Goes back to what I said about people skills.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have a supe that customers think is a real beauty. Totally annoying to people. If he was a driver he would have a complaint folder a foot thick. How does a clown like this get promoted, or is being an on-car even considered a promotion anymore?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have had several managers I would go to the ends of the world for, and some I would not piss on if they were on fire. Goes back to what I said about people skills.

Or piss in his throat if he was dying of thirst.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Dill,
You just hit on the intangible that make s a good supervisor or manager. I do believe that trust is also a key concept of that. The key to a supervisor's success is building a relationship that reaches across our job descriptions. They are able to create an atmosphere of teamwork and spirit and an attitude of "want to" versus "have to".

It has nothing to do with being a good driver. Though I am sure there are a lot of supervisors who might disagree with that. It may have some bearing on your skill set but that is it.
Lifer,
I think you are exactly right. I know that I am far more willing to help him than I was with previous sups. He has earned more of my respect as a sup than any of the previous sups.