Must Pick up Ground Packages

DontThrowPackages

We got that speech from the SM about a month ago, must pick up ground packages in the DB, and scan them. He said "the customer expects this service". No, I told the SM, the customer expects same day pick up (ala Express) while paying ground rates. Sm disagreed with me on that!
Funny how a customer may ship a two day Express package hoping it'll get there in one day and the heads make sure they don't by making us leave it at the station. But a package that has a 5 day commit time, they want pup the same day. I'm sure drivers will simply drive those ground packages back to where they came and explain to the customer they must give it to a ground driver for it is HIS job to pup ground. Problem solved.

StuffItFred

Not sure about other areas or stations. But we cannot even scan a ground label. I am for damn sure not taking a package I cannot put some sort of scan on to start with. I have left ground pkgs in dboxes for weeks, put them in "other" wonderful places as well and will continue. Eff THEIR pkgs and their entire system. I pickup our express pkgs from a ground terminal and see some of our pkgs have sat either on grounds ragged out trucks, personal vehicles, meth trailers or where ever they have kept them for days as well.
I also had the ground goon ask me if I would call him when I saw pkgs to be picked up.

MAKAVELI

Not sure about other areas or stations. But we cannot even scan a ground label. I am for damn sure not taking a package I cannot put some sort of scan on to start with. I have left ground pkgs in dboxes for weeks, put them in "other" wonderful places as well and will continue. Eff THEIR pkgs and their entire system. I pickup our express pkgs from a ground terminal and see some of our pkgs have sat either on grounds ragged out trucks, personal vehicles, meth trailers or where ever they have kept them for days as well.
I also had the ground goon ask me if I would call him when I saw pkgs to be picked up.
You can scan ground pkgs through a drop box pu. I never have and never will scan them. Only way I'll scan a ground pkg is Fred removes the RLA exemption. And we know that ain't happening.

StuffItFred

You can scan ground pkgs through a drop box pu. I never have and never will scan them. Only way I'll scan a ground pkg is Fred removes the RLA exemption. And we know that ain't happening.

Weird, never tried it through the dbox pu. But, I sure as hell won't start trying to either!

!Retired!

Have you people not seen the sticky inside the dropboxes? It says 'Process ALL packages while at the dropbox'. I won't take packages from a customer, but I do scan ALL packages in my dropbox.

MAKAVELI

Have you people not seen the sticky inside the dropboxes? It says 'Process ALL packages while at the dropbox'. I won't take packages from a customer, but I do scan ALL packages in my dropbox.
The sticker on the inside of the chute also says ground pkgs not accepted at this location.

barnyard

KTM rider
Refusing to PU ground packages may be counter-productive. All of you should document every single ground package you pick up for a month or so. Once you have a bunch of documentation, to to the Labor Relations Board and ask that FE be reclassified based on air couriers being forced to do ground work. That should open the door to organizing individual stations.

This is something that might be worth contacting a labor organizer about. Seriously.

You might also send the same documentation to every member of the House and Senate transportation committees.

TUT

I also explain the scam to them. They say "so (insert grnd drvr name) doesn't get overtime, health benefits or any type of retirement."

Really the only people that would care much about that are union companies, they do have a tendancy to stick together in union. But chances are you are saying it to a non-union company and they don't care, they think... "pretty much like what I got", perhaps even relate better to said driver after knowing this.

MAKAVELI

Refusing to PU ground packages may be counter-productive. All of you should document every single ground package you pick up for a month or so. Once you have a bunch of documentation, to to the Labor Relations Board and ask that FE be reclassified based on air couriers being forced to do ground work. That should open the door to organizing individual stations.

This is something that might be worth contacting a labor organizer about. Seriously.

You might also send the same documentation to every member of the House and Senate transportation committees.
Excellent point. I think FedEx is getting a little lax in their policies thinking the RLA exemption is untouchable.

overflowed

Really the only people that would care much about that are union companies, they do have a tendancy to stick together in union. But chances are you are saying it to a non-union company and they don't care, they think... "pretty much like what I got", perhaps even relate better to said driver after knowing this.

When I tell people that they think it's a crime. I don't know anybody that has it like ground drivers. Once I tell them they don't get paid hourly but by the package and get no benefits or OT they never have asked me again to take ground.

overflowed

Now all of the sudden in a week or so they will say don't take ground packages.

bbsam

Staff member
Well, I was thinking maybe Ground could pickup only the Ground packages at the drop box. No need to scan Express packages at all.

hypo hanna

The intent of that sticker was so drivers wouldn't take pkg from one box then process them at another. It was screwing up the tracking and the shipping history for the box. Nothing to do with ground freight.