Must Pick up Ground Packages

Overpaid Union Thug

Ha.
You know how many times I've seen UPS Ground pkgs. sitting in offices for return and the UPS guy purposefully leaves it?

Refusing to and "can't" is two different things. Hell I see ARS and RS packages all the time. Most often it's because the customer just sits them somewhere and doesn't say anything. Some drivers will notice and some won't. My favorite though is all of the FedEx Ground pickup pieces that have been sitting for days even though they were actually scheduled for a pickup. This happens regularly on our industrial route. There is a whole pallet sitting by the dock at one factory right now. LOL! It accumulates packages for several days before Ground finally decides to pick it up. Meanwhile.....our TP50 gets filled with that same amount daily. And FedEx wonders why they ship the bulk of their stuff with UPS. LOL! Fred S would have been better off folding Express into RPS. This might not be happening.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well, until you are actually asked to sweep and mop I'd just look at it as an opportunity to make a little more money. Because I don't think refusing to pick them up is an option. Right?
Wrong. We can certainly refuse to pick up Ground packages and I've don't it more times than I care to remember. Also picking them up would not makes us any more money. Where did you get that ridiculous idea from?

MAKAVELI

Refusing to and "can't" is two different things. Hell I see ARS and RS packages all the time. Most often it's because the customer just sits them somewhere and doesn't say anything. Some drivers will notice and some won't. My favorite though is all of the FedEx Ground pickup pieces that have been sitting for days even though they were actually scheduled for a pickup. This happens regularly on our industrial route. There is a whole pallet sitting by the dock at one factory right now. LOL! It accumulates packages for several days before Ground finally decides to pick it up. Meanwhile.....our TP50 gets filled with that same amount daily. And FedEx wonders why they ship the bulk of their stuff with UPS. LOL! Fred S would have been better off folding Express into RPS. This might not be happening.
You get what you pay for.

Overpaid Union Thug

Wrong. We can certainly refuse to pick up Ground packages and I've don't it more times than I care to remember. Also picking them up would not makes us any more money. Where did you get that ridiculous idea from?

If you are paid by the hour then that's where the extra money would come from. Especially if it's allot of packages. Thats simple math. More time = more money. Or in your words..... "a ridiculous idea."

And most importantly.....picking up and delivering packages is your job right?

Why would you not be able to take a pkg.?

Occasionally (more often than I'd like) I have to come back later or the next day if my truck is still full when a customer has ARS or RS pickups. Especially if they are large or a bulk of ink cartridges that someone let accumulate for a month before putting them out.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
If you are paid by the hour then that's where the extra money would come from. Especially if it's allot of packages. Thats simple math. More time = more money. Or in your words..... "a ridiculous idea."

Wrong.
If we waste any time picking up pkgs. that don't count as a stop for us, our "stops per hr." numbers go down.
I know you guys don't have this but, I sign off almost everyday on my previous days stops per hr. GAP report. Whether I hit my numbers or, not.

Overpaid Union Thug

Wrong.
If we waste any time picking up pkgs. that don't count as a stop for us, our "stops per hr." numbers go down.
I know you guys don't have this but, I sign off almost everyday on my previous days stops per hr. GAP report. Whether I hit my numbers or, not.

Would you rather get fired (can you) for insubordination or have to explain to your metrics boss that you were simply providing service for the customer? Take pictures of the pieces if it's that big a deal. I'm not saying the situation isn't screwed up but I am saying it's your job and there are ways to try and deal with it.

overflowed

I don't think I've heard anyone tell big arrow up that we have been told by our management and dispatch messages specifically not to pick up ground packages. I can understand how a UPS er would think this talk is absolutely ridiculous. It's not laziness or let's piss on ground Big arrow, this is the way our company wants things done, we didn't create this mess. The reason I won't pick them up is because that's how the ground driver is paid. Even if it's ten cents or it's a buck, it's his ten cents and the ground drivers I talk to need that 10 cents.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Since FedEx Ground packages are not Express packages and it's a separate entity altogether, can picking them up be regarded as theft?
Well if the managers don't like you they could try and pull the theft card out of their asses but legally it would be very hard to prove especially if the Ground tracking number comes up as active or delivered in the system.