My 2 Year Record, Is Gone!!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I just started a new route a few weeks ago. For the past 2+ years I have not backed/pulled into a residential driveway. Well, the time has come to kiss that record goodbye. On this new route, I wouldn't say I'm forced to drive on driveways, as much as, I am not lugging this stuff THAT FAR, lol. That being said, I will only pull into dirt or rock driveways, and walk all others off, including the long concrete driveways.

bigblu 2 you

I just started a new route a few weeks ago. For the past 2+ years I have not backed/pulled into a residential driveway. Well, the time has come to kiss that record goodbye. On this new route, I wouldn't say I'm forced to drive on driveways, as much as, I am not lugging this stuff THAT FAR, lol. That being said, I will only pull into dirt or rock driveways, and walk all others off, including the long concrete driveways.
your back and knees asked me to talk to you.

If I were you when it's time to negotiate you next supplement I would try and have a bid for life. Every two years you have a new route sucks. Bid it keep it and get set in your ways.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
that is why I dont change, and I dont have to worry about backing in a drive, unless the swat team is blocking the road. Im too set in my ways, and can barely get done, when I know exactly where I am every minute of the day. Changing routes would surely bring on the big one.

bigbrownhen

I don't think I would like the chaos that bidding every year or so would bring. The customers would hate it as well I'd gather. I like my route, after running cover routes for several years, I like knowing (somewhat) what my day will be.

As for the driveways. It hasn't been an issue here. We only back or pull in when necessary of course, but haven't been told to stay off for other reasons. As of right now, it is the drivers decision.

tourists24

eh,,, causes chaos for a couple of weeks, but thats about it.... If we bid for life I would still be stuck on the first permanent route I could get my hands on. UGH... that was a horrible route... I take a route for a few years then change if I want a change of scenery.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've had the same route for 18 years. Yesterday my afternoon was 50 stops in a tight resi section. Today it was 50 stops all rural, an extra 40 miles. You don't need to change routes for variety.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes PAS has a knack for that. Tonight I got to go deeper into the hood, and saw a crotch rocket laying in the road, and thought Oh shOOT I should go help, then saw 30 people watching this guy trying to right his bike, and thought NAH. A bunch of guys with their high cars with doors that lift up, instead of out, AND REAL loud music. Just got done and the heck out, although all I met except for 1 were extremely polite. I like meeting new people. Some good peeps out there. Just coz they are poor dont mean they are bad. But I do get a little worried when I go somewhere I dont know, which is another reason I stay where I am, not real mappy, if ya know what I mean.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I don't think I would like the chaos that bidding every year or so would bring. The customers would hate it as well I'd gather. I like my route, after running cover routes for several years, I like knowing (somewhat) what my day will be.

As for the driveways. It hasn't been an issue here. We only back or pull in when necessary of course, but haven't been told to stay off for other reasons. As of right now, it is the drivers decision.
It's "usually" not chaotic. I was on the same route for over 6 years, last few bids, but this bid, a senior driver got a bug up his butt and decided to bump to a new route, which caused a huge wave. I agree with the point that it upsets customers. I mean, they have, and usually like the same driver, and then all of a sudden, some guy, going through a divorce, with a huge Fro, shows up, lol, I digress.

The biggest issue I have with driveway stuff, is that UPS WILL charge you with wrong doing, even though you were JUST delivering the pkgs. So I decided that I just wouldn't put myself into a situation where a customer could say I did damage to their property. This is still my same thought, though now, unlike before, I will back/pull into, dirt driveways, when possible. Concrete driveways are still going to be walked off, as my On-Road can attest, lol.

bigblu 2 you

we only bid when a run becomes open,{new route,retiree,etc}.we have a satellite run coming in june possibly that will require a bid.i am on year two of the route i bid on.used to be all city and tons of pick ups,now i get a small area at the end of the city and hit the woods.i never backed either except docks and unloading zones,walked off all driveways too.i have encountered some long :censored2: driveways out here in rural america and have changed and adapted to a give and take policy.i take as much driveway as needed and give the legs the rest.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I get paid by the hour so yes I walk this one off...

longdrive.jpg
longdrive.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you really walk that driveway off? Hard to tell from the picture but I have to assume that the driveway is either circular in front of the house or has a turn around. I would walk it off the first time just for that reason but would probably drive in after that.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Do you really walk that driveway off? Hard to tell from the picture but I have to assume that the driveway is either circular in front of the house or has a turn around. I would walk it off the first time just for that reason but would probably drive in after that.
okay, you have a good point, Upstate, but, what happens if there's a soft spot in the concrete and you cause a crack or worse? I'd rather not find out, so I, too, would walk this off.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

That's nothing? Maybe a 1 to 1.5 minute brisk walk round-trip. I've walked off mile-long driveways. paved and dirt. Still no way I'm driving in there or anywhere else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

okay, you have a good point, Upstate, but, what happens if there's a soft spot in the concrete and you cause a crack or worse? I'd rather not find out, so I, too, would walk this off.

I would walk it off the first time just to make sure but based on what I could see in the picture I would probably drive up after that. Hard to tell from the picture.

bigblu 2 you

That's nothing? Maybe a 1 to 1.5 minute brisk walk round-trip. I've walked off mile-long driveways. paved and dirt. Still no way I'm driving in there or anywhere else.
mile long? i had one half a mile or so with a hard uphill climb.killer in the hot humid summer days.had a sup ride with me once and he made it 200 yards and was kind enough to wait on me coming back down.when i got to the truck i said jokingly ,i forgot to bag it and tag it,,,i will be right back,,want to get it for me? in my area there are a lot of {cliff dwellers}for lack of better words.these people have decided to live off the beaten path and most have atv trails or walk paths ,some quite long.with the recent growth in black bears,and ive seen some big ones,and a moutain lion last year.i have become creative in indirect delivery.i use a lot of relatives,country stores and my personal secret ,the post office.needless to say i give my postmasters a nice gift every year.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont like to be that far from the security of my truck. A place like that could have an invisible fence, and the dogs could be large.