My biggest mistake during peak

instantK

Overall I did very well this peak as a new unqualified driver. I did not call off once, never had any late air and made 2-3hrs of bonus each day(which i wont get paid) but anyways my biggest screw up was I actually lost my keys, the sup had to bring me a new pair. I have no idea how i lost them, all the sudden they vanished. Wil this effect me to becoming a qualified driver?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. Most of us here have done this and, in your case, all it cost was the time you had to wait for the sup to bring you a new set of keys.

We had a driver making his last drop box pickup lock his keys in the cargo compartment. He was about an hour away and just under two hours from the air commit time so bringing him a new set of keys was not an option. They called a local locksmith who charged $50 for 5 minutes of work (he drilled the lock out).

It sounds as though you did a very good job during Peak and should have no problems qualifying.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We have all done it, it happens, thats why they stay on my finger, which sometimes doesnt work and you drop them in a drain, or in a pile of snow. In those cases they go in my pocket.

old levi's

blank space
My keys are never on my finger. Front right pocket or the ignition switch. I don't keep anything else in that pocket. I always slap that pocket before I close the bulkhead or rear door to check. Works for me.

old levi's

blank space
Had a young driver call me in a panic this summer. He had locked his keys in the back; went to him and had the bulkhead door open in less than 3 minutes using (wait for it) a lottery scratch off card.

over9five

Staff member
Had a young driver call me in a panic this summer. He had locked his keys in the back; went to him and had the bulkhead door open in less than 3 minutes using (wait for it) a lottery scratch off card.

OK OK, I will tell (re-tell) my one mistake with keys:

Once as a young cover driver, I was sent out blind with a million air stops. AT MY FIRST STOP, I grabbed my keys, stuck one in the bulkhead door and turned it. It instantly broke off in the lock, BECAUSE.......wait for it......

It was the overhead door key. Now I had no way into the back of my truck! I didn't have a scratch card, but I borrowed some tools and was able to break in.

When I later got my own route, and the trucks started having the same key open both doors, I would keep a spare tucked away in the wiring above the windshield.

brownelf

yep we've all done that, it doesn't happen now that we've gone keyless, now we all forget to take the key fob off our belts at night when we head home instead.

UPSGUY72

We don't use keys any more in are building unless the FOB we clip on are belt loop fails. In that case we have a black lock box that we can access located on the floor of the cab once we get the number from management.

I only lock the keys in the package compartment twice. The 1st time on the last stop / pickup of the day I had to call my SUP he wasn't to happy but at least I was located at a business on way he drives home. The second time I jut pushed the light out located above the bulkhead door and used a stick to release the latch. Then put the light back in.

S

splozi

I was about to say... I don't know what all this key talk is about... it's all electronic now. Didn't realize now all centers had keyless.