My Brown/Cafe survey/challenge for new hires

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Re: My Brown/Cafe survery/challenge for new hires

I think this is one of the best threads in awhile. I was LMAO. Brown truth and DS, you should do a comedy routine together. GREAT DIALOG.

That reminds of of when I went in for my interviews about a month and a half ago. There were 9 guys including me. I was the only mexican, the rest were black. I came to my interview the same way I pretty much do everywhere I go, Steeltoe leather workboots, jeans and a T-shirt. I left my phone and anything else in the car, as the interviewer had asked. I even got a short haircut for the interview, it was normally shoulder length. I thought the rest of the guys would have done about the same thing....WRONG. Most of them came thugged out, save two guys dressed in nice polo shirts/vests and pants with(for some reason) school resumes. Decked out in flat brimmed hats with the tags still on them, pants falling off. Three of them talking on their cellphones. Some others were complaining about the pay rate ALREADY. "I can make more working at McDonalds". Wondered why they even stayed if they didn't like it before even being hired. All their interviews lasted about 3 minutes, (I let everyone go before me, I didn't want the lady rushing me out before I got to ask all my questions) mine lasted about 15. All but 1 got hired including myself. Most of them still come to work with sagging pants. And most will become drivers before me. :/ What was I talking about again?

Overpaid Union Thug

In our center we (the employees and supervisors) would pick a new hire. It was usually a friend or relative. HR in a nearby hub had to approve our choices but they never said no. It went that way for years but then they wanted to do all the hiring themselves. Now instead of hiring people we know and them sticking with the job for a 3 or 4 years HR uses our center to meet the district's affirmative action quota. Our preload and local sort used to be 99% college students that appreciated the job and would show up for work every day. Since HR took over the hiring years back our employees have looked more like those sloppy slackers that work for DHL. And forget about attendance.

feeder53

ADKtrails

I only see the normal female. If 1 & 2 get into trouble.....you have a strike out. If the ones that are out of shape have a heart attack on the line.....WC.....strike 2. The person with all the hardware.....what if he gets his lipring stuck on a box......Strike 3.
If I had to approve, there would only be 1 and then HR would have to get more applicants.....I look at the big picture...Quality has to start somewhere.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been used as a reference by 4 applicants and all 4 have been hired. One was my helper who was hired on as a preloader and 3 were friends of my son who I knew through school sports and I was personally asked by the HR person if I had indeed given my reference and if I would want them working next to me. This may sound biased, but I think drivers would be the people most likely to refer only those people who we think would make good employees as we know what the job entails. I have had several people ask me to refer them and have politely declined as I knew that they wouldn't last the week and would have wasted not only my time but that of the HR person and the appropriate supervisor.

JustTired

free at last.......

This may sound biased, but I think drivers would be the people most likely to refer only those people who we think would make good employees as we know what the job entails. I have had several people ask me to refer them and have politely declined as I knew that they wouldn't last the week and would have wasted not only my time but that of the HR person and the appropriate supervisor.

I tend to agree. In the old days, a drivers opinion meant something. But they don't listen to the driver on dispatch and/or PAS/EDD matters. Why would hiring recommendations be any different?

I generally never encourage anybody to apply. But I had a guy who bugged me for a long time. So I brought his name up when we needed an outside hire driver. He got the job and became one of the best drivers in our center. He's been there around 20 years. And I think he has regretted it for the last 15. Thankfully, he doesn't hold it against me.