My Buddy Joe got shot

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
June? Tooner? Jooner?/jk Tooner, way to go. Right place right time. If any other driver would have been there, would they have felt that way? It's true we touch people in ways we don't even know. Thanks for updating this story. I could have been a Joe too. When I was 21 I got shot in the neck as well. I walked away from it though. I also walked away from the environment I was in that contributed. Now I'm in Podunk and loving my job, wife and kids. Thank God Joe got a second chance too. Let hime know he's lucky to have such a nice family. You can do this when you drop him that 3 pc meal.

helenofcalifornia

Great story. I echo what the other drivers have said, that we have no idea what impact we have on our daily work contacts. I think it takes a certain kind of personality to be a "successful" UPS driver that will affect peoples lives and you obviously have that "skill." Not every UPSer does, and, unfortunately, they get to drive too. We all have some of those working besides us that should never be let out of the building.

Again, good story Tooner. And glad to hear the followup on Joe.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
June, I understand how hard it was for you to see Joe. I am glad that you went back after being called. I know it would have been very easy to ignore the person that was calling you and just go on about your day. As I read your post it brought tears to my eyes. (not kidding). It is such a rare opportunity to have that kind of effect on someones life (both you and Joe) and to me it's really important to embrace that chance. Your kindness and bravery (yes, I mean bravery) are to applauded and commended. Thanks June.

dillweed

tooner, thanks for the update. And thanks to his family for calling you into the house! You are a friend to more people than you realize.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I sent a copy of this thread to my buddy, who's the manager of the KFC on my route. I say buddy, but we became friends since I've been the route driver, almost 4 years now. He was touched by this story, tooner, and I just wanted you to know. We really do have some sort of connection with everyone we meet out here. This guy has a 4 year old son that was diagnosed with autism. He was having trouble getting him the proper care and relayed this to me. My wife just happened to work with autistic children and I asked her if she could help him. Long story short, she pointed him in the right direction. His son is getting optimum teaching and it was all because I was there at that moment. I bet there are 1,000's of stories out there of what Brown did for someone.....sounds like a new thread to me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That is really great Steve, I think we have ones touch us also, deeply. It would be a great thread. Hint hint

I consulted with his friend from KFC as I got to thinking after my second visit, yes I went again, and it was much easier, that if such a thing existed as a computer that he could use, how great that would be. Take a trip and never leave the farm. He could do his own banking, like before, he could talk on a phone, or phone a friend with no help, he could read a newspaper, a book, without someone holding it. He could research his condition. Write letters, get emails, etc......I thought, what the heck it could open up a whole new world since his was ripped away.
And they do exist!!!!!.
I have gotten hold of a company, and havent talked on the phone yet, just trying to get an idea of exactly what and how it works, and the cost.
I got to thinking (rare but it happens) what did Christopher Reeve have, Stephen Hawking, etc?
I got his friend from the store to kinda ask in a non chalant manner if he would be interested in something like that and he said H*** yeah, Im bored to tears. So now that the trauma of learning how to live as he has to has settled in, I think hes up for the challenge. I know I can get the money, and my biggest question would be finding a teacher to show him how. Ill keep you posted and if any of you have any knowledge of this, please let me know.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
june

one of the highlights of the trip to germany is that i got to spend several days with several of my cousins, one of them, bernd.

Twenty years ago, he started to feel weak, had a hard time with walking, etc. went to the doctor and was told it was most likely the flu. decided to go home on the 4th day after diagnosis, to get some rest. his wife called him after lunch, and when he couldnt even pick up the phone, so he knocked it off and tried to talk, only to fine he couldnt. to make a long story short, he was finally diagnosed, after being put on a vent, with Guillain-Barré syndrome.

interestingly enough, there is at least one regular poster here that has also been hit with this "syndrome", but lucky for him, he got early correct diagnosis and treatment, so while the effects were bad, the long term effects were not too bad.

but not so for bernd. fast forward to last week. while the problem has left him with a ton of disabilities, he instead focuses on what he can do instead of what he cant. and while he can walk somewhat, he spent a lot of time in the wheelchair. While he has very limited control of is hands, he manages pretty well on his own.

So the computer idea could be something with a lot of merit. but the biggest thing is to focus on what he can do, not what he cant.

one more thing. accept what has happened to him. he has. and while you dont have to focus on it, at the same time dont pretend it doesnt exist. There is nothing more obvious to someone in his condition than someone getting bent out of shape pretending everything is normal

of course, d always knew you were a good kid even before the shooting:wink2:

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Guess we've found a cause. Time to break out my cape! My brother is a quadraplegic, pow, guess I should have said that a little softer. My brother was a cop in NYC and was on the job when he crashed into one of those steel train girders. This happened in 1986 and he's a whiz at computer stuff. I'm sure when I relay the story, that' he'd love to help out somehow. I'll keep you informed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Danny I do accept it, and as I said before, they accepted it while I have just been thinking about it. But since it is reality, and they have never had a pc, now that he cannot do what he did, wouldnt it be good if he could find a new niche on life? This is why I feared even introducing the thought, I didnt want to overwhelm him or his family. I just thought while he is getting used to his new life, maybe in some small way a piece of tech we use every day might make his life a little easier? And maybe a little more enjoyable. To give him a little independence?
And Steve that would be great. I look forward to the research.
Once again, I am sure he is working on adjustments to his life, and in no way would I want to get in the way. I just so bad want to help. I dont even want him to know Im trying this, I just thought while everyone else is trying to adjust, I thought maybe I could think of the future. It probably wouldnt happen til Christmas, or later. Since Im not involved in the daily challenges of his care, maybe I could help alleviate some of the distress. If Im wrong please tell me, you and steve would know better, Ive never faced this kind of challenge. Who else could I ask but the browncafe community. If it is something that should wait, please tell me. Otherwise til its a good time, I will do the research, so when hes ready, Bamm it will be there.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
June that is way cool. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I really really mean that. I have no idea what I can do to help but I am here if you need something.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
june

your heart is in the right place, no way would you overwhelm him with your love and caring.

let us know how we can help. the brown wave can do anything it sets its mind too.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/sep/19/sometimes-the-punishment-doesn8217t-fit-the/
http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/sep/19/guilty-on-all-counts/
I went and talked to him after his victory dinner today. He said it has been rough on his Mom, but not him. He was happy.
He is also excited about the prospect of being able to use his computer again. I told him what I had found out, and his face lit up and he had a big ole smile on his face.
Im working on it...............

Very nice, June.