My dads on strike

JDWiley

Well, I'm glad to see a local of the machinists doing their job! Best of luck to them!
We have a clear-cut grievance in our shop that hasn't been heard in 3 YEARS! Changed B.A,s 3 times! I've been employed for almost ten years and haven't met a business agent yet!
On a side note, the company lawyer in our area said we, the technicians, were unskilled labor! Laughable!!!!! He got his law degree while working for the parcel!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Ask your BA what IAM is doing to increase membership so the pension doesn't implode( if you ever do see him/her). Great stuff for $93 a month.

stink219

Ask your BA what IAM is doing to increase membership so the pension doesn't implode( if you ever do see him/her). Great stuff for $93 a month.
He won't have a lasting career as a BA. It's very odd for us not to see our BA everyday. Over 3 years he has not taken a full vacation. He handles all our business and never has had people fired and stuck. Some members feel he doesn't represent us either. I laugh at them. I hear horror stories of other BA's in other locals.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our BA stretches himself pretty thin which is ironic because he is grossly overweight. Our local encompasses a large geographical area and represents a large number of businesses other than UPS. There are times when we see him every week and other times when we don't see him for months at a time. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot more of him (pun somewhat intended) as our supplement was rejected.

IzzyTheNose

28 and he's a skilled tradesman. What's are skilled trade again??

Well, in your case, it isn't syntax or spelling, that much I'm sure of.

If you're so convinced that the wages you're being paid are unfair, why don't you lead the charge and donate whatever money you feel was overpaid to you (someone with apparently no job skills), and give it all these skilled tradesmen who are apparently far more deserving of it than you? Maybe this revolutionary act will cause others in your position to do the same, and balance will be restored to the world?

Or maybe you'll just finally wake up and stop making nonsensical comparisons to other industries that don't generate the billions of dollars yearly ours does?

Somehow, I think both are far beyond your understanding.

U

uber

Well, in your case, it isn't syntax or spelling, that much I'm sure of.

If you're so convinced that the wages you're being paid are unfair, why don't you lead the charge and donate whatever money you feel was overpaid to you (someone with apparently no job skills), and give it all these skilled tradesmen who are apparently far more deserving of it than you? Maybe this revolutionary act will cause others in your position to do the same, and balance will be restored to the world?

Or maybe you'll just finally wake up and stop making nonsensical comparisons to other industries that don't generate the billions of dollars yearly ours does?

Somehow, I think both are far beyond your understanding.

ohhhhhh burn!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, in your case, it isn't syntax or spelling, that much I'm sure of. If you're so convinced that the wages you're being paid are unfair, why don't you lead the charge and donate whatever money you feel was overpaid to you (someone with apparently no job skills), and give it all these skilled tradesmen who are apparently far more deserving of it than you? Maybe this revolutionary act will cause others in your position to do the same, and balance will be restored to the world? Or maybe you'll just finally wake up and stop making nonsensical comparisons to other industries that don't generate the billions of dollars yearly ours does? Somehow, I think both are far beyond your understanding.

Once you are done patting yourself on the back you should take a moment to step back and realize that, with all of the technology and the "dumbing down" of the driver's job, we are all easily replaceable and that none of us brings any special skills to the table.

We deliver packages----get over yourself.

IzzyTheNose

Once you are done patting yourself on the back you should take a moment to step back and realize that, with all of the technology and the "dumbing down" of the driver's job, we are all easily replaceable and that none of us brings any special skills to the table.

We deliver packages----get over yourself.

Patting myself on the back? Don't be a jerkoff. I'm not the one with my snout in the air. If he's so shaken by the huge disparity between his payrate, and that of an actual skilled tradesman, then he should heed my advice, and defer any money he feels he hasn't earned, to someone he feels is more deserving of it.

Only you and I both know he won't, because he's not that friend'ing stupid. So In other words, he should just pipe down about it.

Oh, and even though technology has "dumbed down" what we do, it hasn't made things ANY easier, which is what I believe you were trying to imply. All it means is that the company's demands for production have gone UP. Which means we all have to work harder, faster, and just a little bit more unsafe.

Intimidation? Harassment? A high propensity for long-term and even permanent injuries? We got all of that! And did we mention you don't need any actual skills to work for UPS? That's right! None! Wanna a full-time job that'll pay you $90k a year? How 'bout benefits that you don't have to pay for (...just don't get sick...hyuckhyuckhyuck..)? Sign right up! You'll just have to wait 10-15 years, and once you get in there, you can look forward to 60hr work weeks (...I hope you don't have a family hyuckhyuckhyuck...), and a whole new set of pains to endure!

But you know what they say..."mo' money, mo' problems!"

Simplify what we do all you want. One could argue the skill we possess, is having the fortitude to gut out a career at UPS. Which NO ONE here can tell me is a piece of cake.

U

uber

Patting myself on the back? Don't be a jerkoff. I'm not the one with my snout in the air. If he's so shaken by the huge disparity between his payrate, and that of an actual skilled tradesman, then he should heed my advice, and defer any money he feels he hasn't earned, to someone he feels is more deserving of it.

Only you and I both know he won't, because he's not that friend'ing stupid. So In other words, he should just pipe down about it.

Oh, and even though technology has "dumbed down" what we do, it hasn't made things ANY easier, which is what I believe you were trying to imply. All it means is that the company's demands for production have gone UP. Which means we all have to work harder, faster, and just a little bit more unsafe.

Intimidation? Harassment? A high propensity for long-term and even permanent injuries? We got all of that! And did we mention you don't need any actual skills to work for UPS? That's right! None! Wanna a full-time job that'll pay you $90k a year? How 'bout benefits that you don't have to pay for (...just don't get sick...hyuckhyuckhyuck..)? Sign right up! You'll just have to wait 10-15 years, and once you get in there, you can look forward to 60hr work weeks (...I hope you don't have a family hyuckhyuckhyuck...), and a whole new set of pains to endure!

But you know what they say..."mo' money, mo' problems!"

Simplify what we do all you want. One could argue the skill we possess, is having the fortitude to gut out a career at UPS. Which NO ONE here can tell me is a piece of cake.

^ I like this guy

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had my $8.50/helper proficient on the DIAD (after just one week) to the point where he could run an (Code 5) area by himself.

This is not rocket science.

oldngray

nowhere special
Some helpers pick up DIAD quickly but in my experience 80-90% are only good as runners with you doing all the recording. Which makes it stupid for UPS to demand X number of stops in the helper board when you are doing the recording anyway. And you have to watch where the helper leaves the package anyway to ensure its the correct house and a good DR. The helper doesn't care about all the follow ups we get after Christmas. And there have been times I had a helper that did learn to use a DIAD but then after I trained him I got a different helper the next day and was back to square one.

preload1

I haven't discussed the details with him yet, but something to do with having to pay for medical bennies. Striking isn't anything new with his company. Growing up it seemed like every contract they had a strike. I actually gave him one of my Teamster newsletters regarding our tentative agreement (he was really impressed with what we were offered) and he showed it to his business agent. They haven't received a raise in like 3 contracts. He's about to retire anyways so this is his last contract.
Well good. At least he is used to being on the picket line. There used to be a company around here called Westinghouse. A huge facility with many unions always asking for something and then going on strike anyway. The old Westinghouse facility is no longer. But the hog dog stand that's there now is GREAT.