My First accident!!

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Well long long story and will try to make it short!

Running a split rt in an area I have not been before. Come to an intersection, no stop sign slow down look left right left. Proceed through intersection, check my mirrors and see a bumper fly across the road!!!! *** I know i didnt run over that. Pull over get out and a car pulled over to the side of the rd front of car smashed up bad. Run over see if she is alright, she was. Walked backto pkge car called cops then called sup. Tell him i think i've been in an accident, tell him didnt hear, see, nor feel anything but i am the only thing that she could have hit. Not a mark on pkge car NOT A MARK! Few min later center manager calls me asked what happened I told him, he then asked me if i asked the lady what had happened, I said no, Asked him to hold on while I put the phone in my pocket (with him listening). Asked the lady what happened she looked at me and said I hit you in the rear. Pulled phone out asked center manager if he heard conversation he said yes.

Cop pulls up asks us what happened I told him.....no stop sign slowed down intersection clear proceeded and then you have to ask her because i dont know. She then told the officer I hit him in the rear.......

She gets 3 tickets for no insurance, no regristration, and expired tags.
I get a ticket for failure to yield!!!!! Holy rusted metal batman, With my supe there I look at the officer and tell him there is no stop sign and she hit me in the rear and I am getting a ticket for failure to yield, his response was "take it up with the judge". I asked him if that was it and he said yes I put my hand out to shake his and he stared at me for 2-5 seconds and finally shook my hand.

Heres the kicker HE ALLOWED THE LADY TO DRIVE OFF!!!!!!Yea no insurance,registration,and expried tags and she drives off. You think i was pissed.

Ups declared it as hit in rear, and I got a warning letter. Been with the company for 7 yrs and never have written one. What and how do i write a grievance on this. I have been missing our stewards, and am on vacation this week and am getting ready to go to Disney in fl. Dont want to have to think about this but only have 7 more days to file. Any ideas!!!!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Why in the world would you get a warning letter for being hit in the rear? I would grieve that, thats crazy to me. Seven years without an accident is above average, this one isn't your fault and shouldn't affect your safe driving time. I got hit in the rear a few months ago. It bent my frame and totaled out the Saturn. I had no problems with it.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
not sure if i made it clear. neither one of us had stop signs. I should have had one but it was stolen or something. I checked left right left (did not stop) and kept going as i was fixing to clear intersection is where it gets confusing. center manager says according to pics it looks like she was trying to made a left hand turn and didnt see me and swerved to late and plowed into the rear of me. But again no scratches, dents, dust, nothing on pkge car so i dont know what really happened.

sosocal

there will always be drama around accidents -- in this one the center framed what should have probably been an intersection (tier 3) to a hit in rear (tier 2) saving thousands in monopoly money....

Where I am from all warning letters are under protest at inception - their validity are challenged when and if further disciplinary action is enacted -

Find out your contract - Grieve it if needed - have your own facts - statements - re-enactment- diagrams etc-- You were there - they were not

The truth is when the drama wears off people come to their senses -

DS

Fenderbender
Running a split rt in an area I have not been before. Come to an intersection, no stop sign slow down look left right left. Proceed through intersection, check my mirrors and see a bumper fly across the road!!!! Any ideas!!!!!
You looked left twice and didn't see her?
You didn't feel anything when her car got totalled?
I think you are leaving something out.
I'm being tieguy here:)
It sounds like she was driving too fast and she has been taking the same route for years but this time there was a truck right in front of her.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
leaving nothing out. didnt hear feel or hear anything. If I wouldnt have seen the bumper flying in my mirror woulnt have even pull over. If she wouldnt have told me she hit me in the rear I wouldnt have known i was involved in the accident. The supe and police officer didnt understand it either, we stood there for at least 20 min looking all over the packag car for signs of something.....nothing other than the normal scrapes from everyday wear and tear. My supe even told me I should have kept driving, (in retrospect i kinda guess i should have) just the way that bumper in my mirror was flying, you would have stopped also.

huskres

I would definately take the ticket you got to court though. If the judge has any common sense then it should be dropped. Then go file a complaint at the pd about the ass of a cop.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
leaving nothing out. didnt hear feel or hear anything. If I wouldnt have seen the bumper flying in my mirror woulnt have even pull over. If she wouldnt have told me she hit me in the rear I wouldnt have known i was involved in the accident. The supe and police officer didnt understand it either, we stood there for at least 20 min looking all over the packag car for signs of something.....nothing other than the normal scrapes from everyday wear and tear. My supe even told me I should have kept driving, (in retrospect i kinda guess i should have) just the way that bumper in my mirror was flying, you would have stopped also.
You were right in stopping. Leaving the scene of an accident is not a good thing in the eyes of the law or in the eyes of the company. Your sup was stupid for saying that. All she would have had to say was UPS truck and your ***** would have been toast. I had a hit in rear and it was determined to be unavoidable. It sounds like yours was as well.

I would fight the ticket as well. As far as filing on it, have you talked to your BA?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Go - RIGHT NOW - and take pictures of the intersection.

She was coming from your left. She had no stop, neither did you. A valid defense in court is that, if the driver who hit you was going faster than the speed limit, then you could not judge when she would come to the intersection. If you did not see her in your "left right left" then she was cruising.

Regardless, take a picture of where you were "supposed" to stop & the missing stop sign. If it was a T intersection, and no one else was in the intersection, and there was no sign, there is no failure to yield. Take it to court, show that there was no sign (There is no such thing as "well, it SHOULD be there") charges will be dropped. More ammo to fight the write up.

Go to court in your UPS uniform, by the way.

UPSNewbie

Go - RIGHT NOW - and take pictures of the intersection.

She was coming from your left. She had no stop, neither did you. A valid defense in court is that, if the driver who hit you was going faster than the speed limit, then you could not judge when she would come to the intersection. If you did not see her in your "left right left" then she was cruising.

Regardless, take a picture of where you were "supposed" to stop & the missing stop sign. If it was a T intersection, and no one else was in the intersection, and there was no sign, there is no failure to yield. Take it to court, show that there was no sign (There is no such thing as "well, it SHOULD be there") charges will be dropped. More ammo to fight the write up.

Go to court in your UPS uniform, by the way.

Make sure to wear your pants and not shorts! :wink2: