My Hub must be one of a kind!

stoni24

Everytime I get on this site, it's the same old thing. People griping and moaning about working for ups. Why do I have to learn yard control. Why do I have to work with my power zone, why this, why that. My hub must be unique cuz I couldn't be happier. I unloaded half of 30 trailers this week for terrible pay & my upper body is sore all over!
But thursday my health ins. took effect, so thats a $60 a week raise in itself. Six more months & my family gets coverage, another $100 a week! & it's a part time job. Have any of you whiners ever worked for a small employer? With no benefits or chance of advancement? I doubt it. As my preload Sup. says "Walmart is hiring!"

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i'm glad you are happy. most of these old men are, they just won't admit it :)

congrats on the health insurance, not many companies do that for part time workers!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Everytime I get on this site, it's the same old thing. People griping and moaning about working for ups. Why do I have to learn yard control. Why do I have to work with my power zone, why this, why that. My hub must be unique cuz I couldn't be happier. I unloaded half of 30 trailers this week for terrible pay & my upper body is sore all over!
But thursday my health ins. took effect, so thats a $60 a week raise in itself. Six more months & my family gets coverage, another $100 a week! & it's a part time job. Have any of you whiners ever worked for a small employer? With no benefits or chance of advancement? I doubt it. As my preload Sup. says "Walmart is hiring!"

Talk to me in 20 years, newby!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kid, don't let the whiners get to you. You obviously have a great attitude which will serve you well whether you stay here for just a few years or make this your career.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Introducing the new BBAG. My bet is that stoni will be driving in no time. Don't forget to bring donuts for all of your MGMT friends, they like that sort of thing.

Re-Raise

Introducing the new BBAG. My bet is that stoni will be driving in no time. Don't forget to bring donuts for all of your MGMT friends, they like that sort of thing.

You beat me to it Steve. I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read his post.

They are so cute at that age...

stoni24

Fire away with the newby jokes, cuz I am one. But why complain, Quit!!! Then I can drive quicker and make your 80 grand a year!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You beat me to it Steve. I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read his post.

They are so cute at that age...
LOL!

Fire away with the newby jokes, cuz I am one. But why complain, Quit!!! Then I can drive quicker and make your 80 grand a year!!
I don't make 80k. You must mean the amount it could be possible to make if you work every last little bit of OT that comes your way. I don't think you'll be making that much though, it's quite hard to be ever pleasing to your supervisor and get that much OT. I picture you running and gunning at the start, eventually coming to the crossroads of Can I slow down now or must please my supe. CHOOSE WISELY!

stoni24

Steve I usually come to a crossroads once a week, thinking why did I start working here. I'm 36 years old & this is the hardest work i've ever done.
Some new body part hurts everyday! but you & I both will be back @ our different hubs Monday cuz we can't beat it.

Re-Raise

Why do I have to learn yard control. Why do I have to work with my power zone, why this, why that.

You know I ve been following some of these whining threads on here for a while now, but the ones you mention here I must have missed.

Sure I hate it when my butler doesn't have my uniform laid out the night before for me or when my chauffer doesn't have the car warmed up properly when I get in.

But as far as yard control and power zone I am drawing a blank.

stoni24

I just read a couple of post earlier today that were complaining about learning the 8 keys of yard and 5 of lift and lower. nothing specific.

Re-Raise

I just read a couple of post earlier today that were complaining about learning the 8 keys of yard and 5 of lift and lower. nothing specific.

After a while you might think it gets a little old also.

5 keys to lift and lower, 10 point commentary, 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls, 5 seeing habits and the key phrase for each, 8 keys to yard control, HABITS, How to handle Hazardous materials, proper DR methods, No Sorrow backing, Lock out affected, LAST (Look And See Things)..

Okay I made that last one up myself but I think it is just as valuable as the others:happy2:

helenofcalifornia

I am thinking that if your back is still sore, that you are a new hire of less than three weeks. At the end of your first three weeks you should have built up enough back muscles where you don't hurt any more.

Dustyroads

Stoni, one of the things you will learn, if you stay at UPS long, is that the rules and circumstances at ups differ greatly at different geographic locations in the country. What may apply or be a rule in the Eastern states may not apply in the midwest. So, if you ever ask for advice, you must realize that even though it may be correct, it may or may not be correct where you work. Things are different in different localities.

The same is true with the subject matter of your thread. There are some really unpleasant, bad places to work at ups, and there are some good ones. There are some really poor managers, and there are some really good ones. There are some good drivers to work next to, and there are some really poor ones. I've pretty much seen it all. I've worked for tough, mean guys, some who were just faking it and didn't know a thing, and some who were really good. I'm quite fortunate in my golden years to work for a great management team, I have a really good mechanic, and the best route and package car in the building. So, there are some of us that are quietly happy.

I happen to be pretty sore right now, but that's quite different than being angry.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Thank you waiter: We'll have the crack on ice for dessert.

stoni24

I believe every word of what you say about different locations Dustyroads. I hear about people getting fired at other locations, for things that we all laugh about at ours. I can't imagine anyone getting fired at my hub, unless they were caught in the act of stealing. We have good employees and terrible ones but as long as you show up 90% of the time, your in. Thanks union, for keeping the slackers around. And taking the job perfomance out of the advancment process!