My Hub must be one of a kind!

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Stoni;
I read the thread and am sadly disappointed by the input from our fellow UPSers.
Everyone seems to hold a grudge. Not "everyone", but many.
Do your job, do more and your career will progress as you want it to. Mke your aspirations known and don't worry about what your peers think, but be aware of what they think and be smart.
Good luck and my impression is that you have the right attitude.
BC is / is not a resource for information. Choose wisely..........

blue efficacy

I am a 8 year UPS hub worker, and it is a better job than most despite the challenges.

I do believe the union to be a good thing. However, they really dropped the ball when it comes to the starting pay remaining 8.50 for who knows how long.

But stony, your 4 year raise is more than .50 for what that's worth :P

Had you started under the last contract you wouldn't have had to wait a year to get your medical and you would already have family coverage. The teamsters are all too willing to screw the new employees, but I have been here for 8 years and make over $16 an hour which is decent for the braindead job I do.

UPS is one of the few jobs left you can make a decent living out of with no skills and hard physical labor, that's worth something!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'd love to join, if asked or knew how to? It would be great to know I had someone in MY corner. But I hope you guys that have been in the union for 20 years can understand that us "Newby, Rookie, New Hire's" are not so sold on it. Benefits are great (the only reason I'll work there) but i'm not looking fwd. to whopping .50 cent raises(per year) for the next 4 years. What's the starting wage @ ups gone up in 25 years? $2 per hr. If any??

Stoni up to 1982 everyone made the same rate. That is when a 2 tier wage package was put in. In 1997 we went on strike, mainly because part timers were getting screwed. The starting pay went up from $8 to $8.50 and that was the only time in the last 28 years. We also gained 10,000 plus new fulltime jobs for the part time ranks.

The last two contracts have been more geared towards fulltimers, its no lie. A huge reason IMO is because many part timers do not care to get involved. Go to your union meeting and look to see how many in attendance are part time. Very few.

Part timers will allow themselves to get bullied and pushed around by management, they will allow sups to work and they will be the first to cut side deals with the company.

Here it took 36 months from seniority for a part timer to get medical coverage for family which could have taken up to 39 months to attain, under the new contract its 18 months, which helped many part timers here in Chicago. Dont believe everything you read on here, but there are plenty of people that would like to help you and others and than some people are here just to disrupt.

P

pickup

Since I struck a nerve with you pro union guys, at what point do they approach an employee? I been with the company a few weeks over a year, yet I haven't heard from them. Would gladly join if asked.

Remember when you were a little kid and you heard the ice cream truck's music in the distance? You hopped on your bike and went in the direction of the sound, until that magic moment when you sighted the truck but lo, the ice cream man was traveling away from you. You peddled harder to catch up with him but you did eventually catch him , a half a mile from the point that you initially heard the music. And you got your ice cream.

If you want to be a member of the union, the effort you put into obtaining membership will be far less than that of the effort described above. Now of course, if you are having "difficulty" talking to someone in the union, is it because you are acting like a dog who knows he has a bath coming and will have no part of it , and is hiding under the bed when the bath givers approach?

Last edited by a moderator:

upssup

As a former union employee of UPS and now a Supervisor I really enjoy all of the complaining. It is kinda funny considering unemployment is at 10%. I am guessing that most of you that are complaining have not had many jobs outside of UPS, because if you think it is bad here, you do not have a clue. I have done a lot more for a lot less money. I hear it all the time where I am too. It's too cold in the hub, it's too loud. I don't like my boss etc. etc. If it is that bad please quit so we can get someone in here that will do your job and appreciate what they have. To the other 90% that appreciate what they have here, I apologize for the other 10%.

browned out

As a former union employee of UPS and now a Supervisor I really enjoy all of the complaining. It is kinda funny considering unemployment is at 10%. I am guessing that most of you that are complaining have not had many jobs outside of UPS, because if you think it is bad here, you do not have a clue. I have done a lot more for a lot less money. I hear it all the time where I am too. It's too cold in the hub, it's too loud. I don't like my boss etc. etc. If it is that bad please quit so we can get someone in here that will do your job and appreciate what they have. To the other 90% that appreciate what they have here, I apologize for the other 10%.

Yeah, you probably think the hourlys are lucky to have these jobs. The truth of the matter is that the vast majority of the unemployed could get jobs at UPS and would not have the work ethic to stick it out. All one has to do is get hired part time and wait their turn to make upwards of $65K as a driver.

SWORDFISH

I think some people get complaining and stating how bad certain situations are. I think 99% of drivers are greatful for there jobs and have a great deal of pride in what they do. The rediculous standards, treatment etc. is causing survival mode atitudes. This climate can be nasty and it comes from the top down. In our center management is talked terrible to by there higher ups and they talk about and to each other badly. Thats not even counting how they treat the hourlys that do all the work. Food for thought.

brown bomber

brown bomber
your statement is somewhat true...............however in the future use spell-check.....or have someone proof-read your posts

food for thought ???

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
your statement is somewhat true...............however in the future use spell-check.....or have someone proof-read your posts

food for thought ???
grammar_police_tshirt-p235068817885605664yocy_400.jpg

705red

Browncafe Steward

Do you expect us to believe that everyone of us came to this company with this attitude? I would be wiiling to bet my house everyone of us enjoyed working at this company during some of our employment. Maybe if you addressed the heat, noise and the problems the employees have with their boss, it again would be a pleasnt place to work. Lead by example.

happybob

Feeders
Everytime I get on this site, it's the same old thing. People griping and moaning about working for ups. Why do I have to learn yard control. Why do I have to work with my power zone, why this, why that. My hub must be unique cuz I couldn't be happier. I unloaded half of 30 trailers this week for terrible pay & my upper body is sore all over!
But thursday my health ins. took effect, so thats a $60 a week raise in itself. Six more months & my family gets coverage, another $100 a week! & it's a part time job. Have any of you whiners ever worked for a small employer? With no benefits or chance of advancement? I doubt it. As my preload Sup. says "Walmart is hiring!"
Have any of you ever worked for a small employer? Started out at 16 washing dishes at a restaurant, low wages, no beni's. Worked in a pizza house, low wages, no beni's. Carried a ruck sack for uncles sam, army rangers, jumping from airplanes, low wages, but did have beni's. Building houses, low wages, no beni's then I landed a job here at big brown. Only place I ever worked harder was with the rangers. Great starting wages, great beni's and union membership. In my 22 years with the company I have seen it all and heard it all. Union steward for many years, such a thankless job. Does the company give those beni's out of the graciousness of their heart, nah, union negotiated those beni's. If you think we would have the beni's we have without the union then you better wake up. Does the company mistreat it's hourlys, yup. Do they all deserve it, nope. What can we do about it, not much. Ive seen the darker side of the union, and it su... just as bad as the darker side of the company. There is an article in our contract that says a fair days pay for a fair days work. I don't believe in that mantra, for I believe I will give them the best of my ability each and every day, and they can call it whatever they want, just pay me and then I head home. You want union membership, go get it, we don't need to find you, you need to find us. Find out where your union hall is and go get it.

Arrowjet

Do you expect us to believe that everyone of us came to this company with this attitude? I would be wiiling to bet my house everyone of us enjoyed working at this company during some of our employment. Maybe if you addressed the heat, noise and the problems the employees have with their boss, it again would be a pleasnt place to work. Lead by example.

Heat????lol..........Try Texas.

Having the right attitude makes all the difference. Of course, not everyone is going to like there job after 10, 20 or 30 years. UPS allows me to provide for my wife and son and for that I am thankful. People are always going to complain about there job....................for the people that don't, just ignore the ones that may bring you down in life.