My Life a Season Hire

EastBrown N Down

I made book Oct 14. And my steward told me it's 90 days from hire date for health insurance. It's a year for paid holidays and vacations/sick days. How can they hire someone as a permanent employee and then change it almost 3 months later?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I made book Oct 14. And my steward told me it's 90 days from hire date for health insurance. It's a year for paid holidays and vacations/sick days. How can they hire someone as a permanent employee and then change it almost 3 months later?
If you made book, you are permanent. 90 days for benefits? Wow...most locals it's a year.

Box Ox

90 days for insurance was (I think) 2 national contracts ago. I'd be shocked if part timers anywhere in the country got insurance before their 1 year.

EastBrown N Down

Eligibility for teamster care is 225 hours worked in the previous 3 month period. Eligibility begins as soon as you accumulate the necessary hours to be deemed eligible(225 for PT, 400 FT). On a side note I received my union id card in the mail today. Deff made book, and I feel a whole lot better with at least the union ID in my pocket.

J

jibbs

Eligibility for teamster care is 225 hours worked in the previous 3 month period. Eligibility begins as soon as you accumulate the necessary hours to be deemed eligible(225 for PT, 400 FT). On a side note I received my union id card in the mail today. Deff made book, and I feel a whole lot better with at least the union ID in my pocket.

That's BS that PTers have to work 65 days out of 90 and FTers only 40 to become eligible.

Even smellier BS that I had to wait a year while there's people that get it in 3 months.

Pretty sweet deal for you, though, EastBrown.

EastBrown N Down

Yeah sorry Jibbs I wish union solidarity wasn't as much an oxymoron as it seems to be.. different areas, different rules. Like the 90 days to make book? that sucks. if its working days like it was for me, that's close to 5 months. took me 6 weeks

MeltedSnowman

I finished my first night as a loader. It's about as physical as I expected. My hands seem to be hurting more than anything else. I guess I should have worn gloves the entire time. I've been assigned to a belt that NEVER sees new hires. Too busy, to intense so I've been told. I'm not expected to make it past the week.

I wasn't able to punch in/out because the hub has no time cards. They were received and delivered but no one knows where they are. lol

Two people from my class have already crapped out or at least didn't show. I guess I'll see how it goes after Monday when I am crushed with boxes or just freak out and leave. I thought some parts were fun, especially when a box opened up and a Spanish musket fell to the deck.

PT Car Washer

Keep track of your hours. Loading is an endurance contest. At least you will have the weekend off to stretch those muscles out. It does get easier. Never easy just easier.

J

jibbs

Two people from my class have already crapped out or at least didn't show. I guess I'll see how it goes after Monday when I am crushed with boxes or just freak out and leave. I thought some parts were fun, especially when a box opened up and a Spanish musket fell to the deck.

Stick with it. Make it through peak and it's gonna be difficult for you to ever feel overwhelmed throughout the rest of the year.

It's also an awesome daily workout at a great time, once you get used to the non-peak early hours. Some people just don't like it, for various reasons. I dunno, I've always felt that us PTers are compensated pretty well for what essentially equates to an early morning cardboard workout. It may not seem like that at first but once you get a few of those annual raises, more hours as you accrue seniority, and full benefits for $0 it gets a little easier to appreciate the job and be able to tolerate the stupid :censored2: that goes on inside the building.

My issue has always been the pay difference between PTers and FTers, not the pay rates themselves. That just means I need to get my :censored2: together and go FT, though, that's all.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Stick with it. Make it through peak and it's gonna be difficult for you to ever feel overwhelmed throughout the rest of the year.

It's also an awesome daily workout at a great time, once you get used to the non-peak early hours. Some people just don't like it, for various reasons. I dunno, I've always felt that us PTers are compensated pretty well for what essentially equates to an early morning cardboard workout. It may not seem like that at first but once you get a few of those annual raises, more hours as you accrue seniority, and full benefits for $0 it gets a little easier to appreciate the job and be able to tolerate the stupid :censored2: that goes on inside the building.

My issue has always been the pay difference between PTers and FTers, not the pay rates themselves. That just means I need to get my :censored2: together and go FT, though, that's all.
Yeah your better off going fulltime and get your asczz whooped for big bank than get your asczz whooped like a dog for chump change lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I finished my first night as a loader. It's about as physical as I expected. My hands seem to be hurting more than anything else. I guess I should have worn gloves the entire time. I've been assigned to a belt that NEVER sees new hires. Too busy, to intense so I've been told. I'm not expected to make it past the week.

I wasn't able to punch in/out because the hub has no time cards. They were received and delivered but no one knows where they are. lol

Time cards? They're on the computer under Package Timecard Web, I thought.

MeltedSnowman

I'm not sure if it scancard, punch clock or what. It was never explained. I have been keeping a running total of hours and days worked. I guess we'll see what the first check looks like next week.

MeltedSnowman

Day two in the books. Scanner eye flew of my fingers at point and deep into the trailer. Thankfully it didn't fall down between boxes and I was able to get it back. Almost didnt scan a hazmat the right way too. Basically a night full of n00b behavior but I am what I am. So far the body is hanging in there. No pain in back but legs and arms feel worn out. I guess I must be doing something right in that regard. People keep foretelling my impending quit date once peak full hits. Time will tell.