My little piece of plane..

DS

Fenderbender
I thought the metal bar was very cool. I was happy to get anything at all.
Here Here Aspenleaf,all this negativity was making me nauseaus.I`m pretty sure its really from that first plane because the guy that parks beside me has an ancient p-500 and it`s still there.And it works just fine as a bottle opener when I get home at night.Its made in China because UPS is growing there,its just good business.PS...dont put it near your mouth,and keep it away from children and pets.:wink:

DorkHead

How freakin LAME is this gift? All my customers are laughing in disbelief at how cheap UPS is. This gift is totally useless.......Wait......Wait a minute....I take that back. I can level up my washer or dryer now!!!!

Look at the bottom of the outer wrapper. It says Made in China! Does anyone have proof that a jet plane was actually melted down in China to make these "muffler patches"? At 3oz. each that would mean the 250,000 medallions weighed 41,666 lbs. total.
UPS better do a recall. Mine seems to be contaminated with specks of old recycled aluminum beer cans and wrecked Honda Civics. I doubt it could be 99.99% pure especially coming from China!

D

Don't get it

Just curious.... what would you all expect (reasonably here) as a gift for the 100 year celebration ?

I guess I expected something useful. I loved the key chain that we got for the 75th. Leather with a heavy metal coinlike attachment with UPS and 75th stamped on it. I used it for years. I would have liked a nice coffee mug with the 100 year logo on it and and a "Thanks for being part of the team that made UPS successful for 100 years." I am not a greedy person. I do not mean to complain. I just don't know what to do with our gift. I also expected a bigger celebration on Founders Day. No sign or balloons. No different than any other year. Maybe that's what happens when you celebrate early.

They did'nt even hand them out here they were in a little bread basket next to the cakes and were still there when pcm was over. Nearly all my customers laughed or asked "you're joking right?" Most of us here took it as a slap in the face. A decent dispatch so you can have more family time would have been nice. I celebrated by turning an over 9.5 greivance.:thumbup1:

aspenleaf

Here Here Aspenleaf,all this negativity was making me nauseaus.I`m pretty sure its really from that first plane because the guy that parks beside me has an ancient p-500 and it`s still there.And it works just fine as a bottle opener when I get home at night.Its made in China because UPS is growing there,its just good business.PS...dont put it near your mouth,and keep it away from children and pets.:wink:

Thanks DS! I actually like the gift and for those of us who kept it we have a little piece of UPS history. The only other company I have worked for that was over 100 years old was AT&T and they didn't give us any thing historical. We got trinkets (for various events) that ended up lost over the years. I know I will keep this gift from UPS and not lose it.

I had to laugh about the keeping it away from pets and children; there have been so many recalls on toys.

diesel96

Too bad it wasn't chrome...I could of welded it on my footbrake as a reminder of how I was de-pressed as a pkg car driver.

helenofcalifornia

I kinda like the idea of the dual function piece of metal - the historical piece of UPS history AND the letter opener. Who doesn't need a good letter opener?? Maybe could have a little knife too, kinda like a swiss army knife. Yeah, a toothpick and a pair of tweezers also along with the screwdriver. UPS missed the boat on this one.

SteveH50

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the top of it and hanging it from my neck with some rusty chain I found in my garage while hanging light fixtures.

tups

It will make a great kickstand rest for the Harley, so it dont sink into the hot top in the parking lot......

Well, I was expecting something grandiose on Founders' Day. Especially, with all of the talk leading up to the centennial celebration. Many of you are right. A hunk of metal and a video with foreign UPSers saying "Happy Birthday" and a little accolade to Jim Casey. I actually thought the metal was unique. I may have to google this plane to see if it is true. After reading the posts, I am beginning to wonder about the gift myself. When I first got it, my thought was why would I want something from our first airplane? Then I reasoned that it is something that very few people will have in the world. It is a piece of history. Maybe some type of jewelry with the metal and gold/silver would have been a better idea. Now, it will end up in a drawer or used as a paperwieght. Anyways, the day was pretty much a flop. Everything is just about UPS, an inanimate entity, and NOT the people.

dudebro

I kinda like the idea of the dual function piece of metal - the historical piece of UPS history AND the letter opener. Who doesn't need a good letter opener?? Maybe could have a little knife too, kinda like a swiss army knife. Yeah, a toothpick and a pair of tweezers also along with the screwdriver. UPS missed the boat on this one.
Hey, we're not ALL stupid in management. In some of our hubs, if we gave out letter openers, a few sups may have gotten stabbed...

JustTired

free at last.......
Hey, we're not ALL stupid in management. In some of our hubs, if we gave out letter openers, a few sups may have gotten stabbed...

Good one!

I'd be willing to bet on that. Heck, they might just take a trinket to the forehead, anyway. Not as lethal.......but I'm guessing it wouldn't feel too good. Let me know if you hear anything.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you got enough of them, you could paint dots on them and have a large set of dominoes.:wink: I went to a couple of websites to track down the history of airframe number N907UP, but that number no longer exist. When a plane is scrapped, the number is removed from the list. From what I could figure out, the N was for the United States, the UP stands for United Parcel, so the 907 would be the frame number itself. I actually think it is an interesting souvenir. If UPS gets me out of CS so I can retire sooner, I will be grateful they spent the money on that instead of the Centennial.:thumbup1:

Brownnblue

How freakin LAME is this gift? All my customers are laughing in disbelief at how cheap UPS is. This gift is totally useless.......Wait......Wait a minute....I take that back. I can level up my washer or dryer now!!!!

I was thinking the same thing!

We also got travel bags which were kind of nice.