My local is stealing from the poor

ocnewguy

And this is the kind of response you get when the you dare criticize the teamsters in any way.

Taking dues/initiation from seasonals is wrong, there's no two ways about it.

packageguy

And this is the kind of response you get when the you dare criticize the teamsters in any way.

Taking dues/initiation from seasonals is wrong, there's no two ways about it.

I'm not here to disagree with you, all you guys are right. But it's not going to change, and like I said earlier in the post we have the same people who come back year after year, bus drivers housewifes, college kids believe me the same each year. I had one 4 years in a row. This year he made it to preload, he got his foot in the door.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Open your eyes sleeve !!!! Its def stealing!! Some locals are doing it and some are not.. The seasonal hires find out when they open their check on thursday!! Every year my helper gets his check and says "whats this $25 iniation fee? They didnt tell us about this."
Did the union hire them or did UPS? When I was hired it was UPS that informed me about the union withholds. They are the employer, not the union. If you are upset about it, address it with the employer, or attend a union meeting and make a motion. Or, you could just sit on your butts and whine about the union on here. You know, the union that allows those helpers to actually work for UPS and get their foot in the door. Yea, that union.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
You want to work a union job than you pay dues unless your in a right to work state. IF you don't want to pay dues go work somewhere else. Nobody is forcing these people to apply for a season job helper job...

I dont pay dues, yet I'm the highest rated and valued preloader in the building. To me, I'm employed by UPS not the union.

Dont really understand why pters have to pay dues. We make so little to the average driver. You ask us to bust our backs just to have 2.5 taken out of our check, from a job they never fire anyone from and that they cant keep around. Its like throwing away money.

To me the union is for the driver that will need its protection.

spmoto

Dont really understand why pters have to pay dues. We make so little to the average driver. You ask us to bust our backs just to have 2.5 taken out of our check, from a job they never fire anyone from and that they cant keep around. Its like throwing away money.

To me the union is for the driver that will need its protection.

The highest rated? By what metric? Pay (seniority) or by how much your willing to work at an unsafe ( or unrealistic) pace? As for being highly valued, don't think for a single second that UPS places some sacred value on its employees. Your living in a dream land if you think otherwise ...

The part about protection is funny. You don't need the unions protection (or benefits) until you do.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
Guess it depends where you are.
Here, PT preloaders get fired quite regularly

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
The highest rated? By what metric? Pay (seniority) or by how much your willing to work at an unsafe ( or unrealistic) pace? As for being highly valued, don't think for a single second that UPS places some sacred value on its employees. Your living in a dream land if you think otherwise ...

The part about protection is funny. You don't need the unions protection (or benefits) until you do.

I load one of the biggest accounts UPS has... Disney. I know all the addresses of all four cars and the feeder car. When they have a problem with an address, they never take it to the computer, they ALWAYS take it to me. I'm one of the biggest catchers of bad slaps and flips just knowing the address. This account is bigger then Walmart, multi-billion dollar company. When a customer has a complaint sent to the hotline, it doesnt go to district, it goes straight to corporate offices in Atlanta, Ga.

I'm sought after by all four drivers, and many others routes. I'm practically asked for on a daily basis.

Never getting punished, always praised by driving soups and highly rated management. It feels good to be the king!

I see protection of job ability, as it was, and should be today. The union just adds to the feel good status, yet I know they can turn on you in a second. Seen it happen a few months ago to someone who lost their job by a steward, nonetheless. Overall I'm a believer in value and quality. Which many unionized people have seem to have forgotten.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Guess it depends where you are.
Here, PT preloaders get fired quite regularly

Oh I'm sure of it. But when your building has a 70% turnover rate, they rather take the 5-8 missloads a night by the side and just write them up over, over, over, over etc etc again and do nothing. Its a huge waste of time, I've never seen anyone fired on my boxline in the past 4 1/2 years I've been here. Hell I've seen a charger take a month hitatus, never answered the phone, call in or anything. The guy just shows up one day and they said " ok, go back to work. ".

spmoto

I load one of the biggest accounts UPS has... Disney. I know all the addresses of all four cars and the feeder car. When they have a problem with an address, they never take it to the computer, they ALWAYS take it to me. I'm one of the biggest catchers of bad slaps and flips just knowing the address. This account is bigger then Walmart, multi-billion dollar company. When a customer has a complaint sent to the hotline, it doesnt go to district, it goes straight to corporate offices in Atlanta, Ga.

I'm sought after by all four drivers, and many others routes. I'm practically asked for on a daily basis.

Never getting punished, always praised by driving soups and highly rated management. It feels good to be the king!

I see protection of job ability, as it was, and should be today. The union just adds to the feel good status, yet I know they can turn on you in a second. Seen it happen a few months ago to someone who lost their job by a steward, nonetheless. Overall I'm a believer in value and quality. Which many unionized people have seem to have forgotten.

Why does it matter what trucks you load? Would you like a high five for loading disney trucks? A truck full of disney more or less equals a truck full of random packages. If they love you so much, why don't they pay you more for the work you do or let you get in on that 'biggest account' action?

Your asked for on a daily basis, until you get hurt (on or off the clock), replaced, or leave the company. It feels great to be the king of what? Stupidity? Their 'love' for you is but a mirage and when it comes down to it ... they really just arn't that into you. You can be thrown under the bus very quickly.

Your a believer in some fantasy land where your the king four trucks. Everyone else who loads four trucks is just as valuable to the company. If you don't need those union hindrances why don't you go load four trucks at fedex? You won't have to search for unionized value and quality....

brown_trousers

The union dues/initiation is public knowledge to anyone applying for the job. Anyone who seeks employment for a seasonal job here is VOLUNTEERING to pay the union an initiation fee... Volunteering with the hopes of being one of the VERY few who get to keep their job after peak season.

Its kind of like gambling. You pay a bunch of money into the union and sweat your ass off for a peak season in the hopes of winning a permanent job with UPS. If you dont want to pay the initiation fee, don't make the gamble, and seek employment elsewhere. If you do decide to gamble that money, dont complain about it!

article22

Banned
the union dues/initiation is public knowledge to anyone applying for the job. Anyone who seeks employment for a seasonal job here is volunteering to pay the union an initiation fee... Volunteering with the hopes of being one of the very few who get to keep their job after peak season.

Its kind of like gambling. You pay a bunch of money into the union and sweat your ass off for a peak season in the hopes of winning a permanent job with ups. If you dont want to pay the initiation fee, don't make the gamble, and seek employment elsewhere. If you do decide to gamble that money, dont complain about it!

hahahhahaha volunteering??? Like i said before........ My local noooobody is informed of this and they have absolutely no chance at making seniority in my local!! Noooobody is kept on after peak!!! It robbing the poor!!