My Mortal Remains

What Will Become Of Your Mortal Remains?

• Total voters

over9five

Staff member
What do you intend to do when the end comes?
Burial?
Cremation?

Have you planned it? Bought a cemetery plot? Told your family of your wishes?

Now is the time to do these things. You never know!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
We already have 2 niches in Pacific View at Corona Del Mar

We really lucked out. My neighbor had bought the 2 niches in pre-planning his parents funeral. They all ended up moving to Texas and both the parents have passed and are buried in Texas.

He had no use for the 2 niches, because he's staying in Texas , so he gave them to us. I've checked on E-Bay and those things go for $8-10,000.

He said if we decide to sell them he wants 50%, but they are ours to use if we want to.

I even got an obituary form online to fill out myself ahead of time because hubby will just get it all wrong!

over9five

Staff member

We really lucked out. My neighbor had bought the 2 niches in pre-planning his parents funeral. They all ended up moving to Texas and both the parents have passed and are buried in Texas.

He had no use for the 2 niches, because he's staying in Texas , so he gave them to us. I've checked on E-Bay and those things go for $8-10,000.

He said if we decide to sell them he wants 50%, but they are ours to use if we want to.

I even got an obituary form online to fill out myself ahead of time because hubby will just get it all wrong!

Good deal. I have lately wondered what becomes of niches and plots when people move away and are buried where they've moved to. I bet a lot are forgotten.

over9five

Staff member
Bake and shake.
My plan as well.
Why?

Because I believe it is the cheapest way. IMO, it is a waste to spend money to buy a plot that may be visited by your children while they're alive, but then for eternity it will be just another random unvisited grave. Get rid of me the cheapest way, and keep any other money for yourself.

BUT!!!!! Just to be a PIA to my wonderful children, I've asked that my ashes be spread in four places:
The summit of Mt Watatic. Great view, always loved it!
Pawtuckaway State Park. Many good times there!
The Ponderosa. I know, I no longer own it. But I loved that land for over 20 years!
Lisa's grave. Can't let her lie in eternity alone.

The rest to lie (or be spread) with wifey. Not sure what she wants to do with her remains, so all my plans may change!
Maybe I'll ask her to take this poll!

moreluck

golden ticket member
"If everbody had an ocean across the USA......."

It's good for scattering ashes if you don't want to bury them. I told hubby I would find a nice sand trap on the Talega course and scatter him there if he's the first to go.

curiousbrain

I voted "other"; my personal dream is that I be launched into space in any random direction, with enough velocity to escape the solar system.

Cremated, or not, I don't really care; the reason why is because I would like to spend all eternity wandering the stars, something which I can never do in life.

At some point, I'll wind up in the orbit of a star and incinerated, which is why it doesn't matter if I'm cremated initially or not; eventually, the star will run out of fuel and either burn out and become lifeless via particle degeneracy pressure, explode in a supernova via accretion, or collapse into a black hole.

Or, I'll be sucked into an existing black hole and slowly released as particle/anti-particle pairs via Hawking radiation.

Either way, I (and all of us) will simply evaporate into the same void as we came from when the universe started 14.5 billion years ago.

That sort of elegance is comforting, to me.

texan

May you live on and be Blessed, and your husband the same.
But it is good to plan.

texan

My plan as well.
Why?

Because I believe it is the cheapest way. IMO, it is a waste to spend money to buy a plot that may be visited by your children while they're alive, but then for eternity it will be just another random unvisited grave. Get rid of me the cheapest way, and keep any other money for yourself.

BUT!!!!! Just to be a PIA to my wonderful children, I've asked that my ashes be spread in four places:
The summit of Mt Watatic. Great view, always loved it!
Pawtuckaway State Park. Many good times there!
The Ponderosa. I know, I no longer own it. But I loved that land for over 20 years!
Lisa's grave. Can't let her lie in eternity alone.

The rest to lie (or be spread) with wifey. Not sure what she wants to do with her remains, so all my plans may change!
Maybe I'll ask her to take this poll!

But she might look at all your post!!!!!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ms Jones and I will be cremated and our ashes put in the same urn along with the our cats, so we'll always be together.

klein

Für Meno :)
I want my ashes to be put into a milk carton. Milk (dairy) has been the major part of my life, and I loved it.

over9five

Staff member
I voted "other"; my personal dream is that I be launched into space in any random direction, with enough velocity to escape the solar system.

Cremated, or not, I don't really care; the reason why is because I would like to spend all eternity wandering the stars, something which I can never do in life.

At some point, I'll wind up in the orbit of a star and incinerated, which is why it doesn't matter if I'm cremated initially or not; eventually, the star will run out of fuel and either burn out and become lifeless via particle degeneracy pressure, explode in a supernova via accretion, or collapse into a black hole.

Or, I'll be sucked into an existing black hole and slowly released as particle/anti-particle pairs via Hawking radiation.

Either way, I (and all of us) will simply evaporate into the same void as we came from when the universe started 14.5 billion years ago.

That sort of elegance is comforting, to me.

^^^This, if possible, might change my mind!

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, I should add, if I get murdered, then I want a burial, just incase of evidence that might lead to my killer.