My Mortal Remains

What Will Become Of Your Mortal Remains?

• Total voters

menotyou

bella amicizia
Cremation. Followed by being sprinkled on my favorite area, so I can spend eternity there. Screw being stuck in the cold, dark ground with the worms eating my..... never mind. In 200 years, they will be moving my casket to accommodate some development, anyways.

I just want someone to double check that I am really dead, before they throw me in the oven.:(

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm reminded of floods that have force-floated caskets.
I would like to leave my kids something and not spend tons on a fancy funeral.
I figure, anyone who knew me would've made contact prior to my demise ....and the others, to hell with them! I'm not paying for "an event" to make them feel better!

And I doubt very much my kids would ever come to a 'place' to visit. I've never visited my parent's grave sites in Ohio....even when I'd visited family. I find it all creepy. I was made to attend too many funerals as a kid and they were all Itailan and families argued right in front of the casket. Bunch of G.D. fools !!

old levi's

blank space
Cremation. Followed by being sprinkled on my favorite area, so I can spend eternity there. Screw being stuck in the cold, dark ground with the worms eating my..... never mind. In 200 years, they will be moving my casket to accommodate some development, anyways.

I just want someone to double check that I am really dead, before they throw me in the oven.:(

That double check is standard procedure.
They jam an ice pick deep into your thigh to see if you flinch.

over9five

Staff member
In a weird, almost creepy coincidence to this thread, I met two people at the wine tasting I went to last night.

One ran a cemetery. It is actually a very interesting job, we talked for quite a while. Most cemeteries have very inaccurate records of precisely where the vaults are. For every burial, he actually goes out with a rod and pushes it into the ground to find vaults so the backhoe doesn't dig in the wrong spot. He said it was an art to be able to tell a vault from a rock! They're also not in the ground at the same depths because they used to be shoveled by hand, and the workers would get tired or hit a big rock, and stop there.

The second was in charge of a project expanding a cemetery. Also eerily coincidental is that he is working on expanding the cemetery next to CHEMA. Anyone working at my building has probably seen the equipment in the woods out back. He spoke of having to take down huge trees without hitting headstones, and of boulders they had to get rid of in the expansion. The conversation went on to moving graves, like if you wanted a loved one moved to be with the rest of the family. The cemetery next to CHEMA is huge, and they do that a lot. The first man, who runs a smaller cemetery has not been asked to do that yet.

My plans may change. Wifey and I talked over coffee at Dunkies this morning. She's not sure, but I'm thinking she leans toward a burial. Maybe I'll get a plot overlooking CHEMA, so drivers can look and say, "There's Ovah!"

My plans may change. Wifey and I talked over coffee at Dunkies this morning. She's not sure, but I'm thinking she leans toward a burial. Maybe I'll get a plot overlooking CHEMA, so drivers can look and say, "There's Ovah!"

Get cremated and have your ashes spread over the center. The way they wash vehicles so rarely anymore you would be around forever.

rod

Retired 22 years
In a weird, almost creepy coincidence to this thread, I met two people at the wine tasting I went to last night.

One ran a cemetery. It is actually a very interesting job, we talked for quite a while. Most cemeteries have very inaccurate records of precisely where the vaults are. For every burial, he actually goes out with a rod and pushes it into the ground to find vaults so the backhoe doesn't dig in the wrong spot. He said it was an art to be able to tell a vault from a rock! They're also not in the ground at the same depths because they used to be shoveled by hand, and the workers would get tired or hit a big rock, and stop there.

The second was in charge of a project expanding a cemetery. Also eerily coincidental is that he is working on expanding the cemetery next to CHEMA. Anyone working at my building has probably seen the equipment in the woods out back. He spoke of having to take down huge trees without hitting headstones, and of boulders they had to get rid of in the expansion. The conversation went on to moving graves, like if you wanted a loved one moved to be with the rest of the family. The cemetery next to CHEMA is huge, and they do that a lot. The first man, who runs a smaller cemetery has not been asked to do that yet.

The cemetery I take care of for the local Township was started in the early 1800's. The early years of record keeping and even up until after WWII are terrible. When someone wants to bury someone now we will locate the site that they want but they are warned to have whomever they hire as a grave digger to dig slowly. More than once we have had to "adjust a site". Also for many years our cemetery was used as a paupers last resting area. Those with no money or had no relatives to pay for burial or who nobody knew (transients just passing through town) were burried in just a corner of the cemetery in unmarked graves with no record of where they were burried. In the regualr area of the cemetery many of the old headstones (most of them homemade) have long since sank into the ground and are covered with a layer of grass. We don't, as a Township, maintain headstones-- that is up to the families. All I do is mow, run a string trimmer and keep the trees trimed--- and clean up all the cheap plastic Walmart crap that people put out on Memorial Day and forget about. People don't realize how quickly that crap fades and falls apart in the weather. I would say that out of about 200 marked gravesites only about 10 show any signs of some family member actually taking care of them. (thats the reason I want part of my ashes to go to the Veterans Cemetery) Thats not counting the new ones each year-----most people tend to take care of the site the 1st year. P.S. I highly reccomend that you and the Mrs. set down and discuss exactly what your final wishes are. Believe me some day some family member will appreciate the fact that they aren't the ones who have to make that decision. While you are at it its a good time to decide if you want to become an organ donor.

over9five

Staff member
Ahh, you reminded me of another story of the cemetery next to CHEMA.

There is a large area with no trees, nicely mowed with no headstones, and the contractor I spoke with asked the cemetery administrator why they weren't using it.
"It is being used", she said. Turns out it is a mass grave. In the late 1800s, Lowell had some huge Typhoid outbreak, and they had to get the bodies buried quickly, as the disease was spreading fast.
Sad, so many buried...No markers.

P

pickup

Ahh, you reminded me of another story of the cemetery next to CHEMA.

There is a large area with no trees, nicely mowed with no headstones, and the contractor I spoke with asked the cemetery administrator why they weren't using it.
"It is being used", she said. Turns out it is a mass grave. In the late 1800s, Lowell had some huge Typhoid outbreak, and they had to get the bodies buried quickly, as the disease was spreading fast.
Sad, so many buried...No markers.

and yet that sadness seems to be in conflict with your atheistic views that hold that those bodies in that mass grave are nothing more than worm food and dead worm food at that. Dead worm food cares not one iota if there is a marker 6 feet above the dirt that buries them.

Just sayin'

Spin this one if you can, Over. :bag:

over9five

Staff member
and yet that sadness seems to be in conflict with your atheistic views that hold that those bodies in that mass grave are nothing more than worm food and dead worm food at that. Dead worm food cares not one iota if there is a marker 6 feet above the dirt that buries them.

Just sayin'

Umm.......I, uhh........meant it's sad for ...... ummm ....the descendants!
Yeah, that's the ticket.... The descendants!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Just sayin'

C'mon now.

Being an atheist has nothing to do with caring about where your loved ones are buried or wanting your grave to be marked.

P

pickup

C'mon now.

Being an atheist has nothing to do with caring about where your loved ones are buried or wanting your grave to be marked.

If one was truly an atheist, he would care not the least whit what became of his body the moment the chemical reactions stopped in that body. The atheist wouldn't care before and by his own definition, he wouldn't care after his death.

Of course, if he does care before hand, the atheist is harboring some thoughts that go against his atheistic beliefs.

And if he cares afterwards, well he definitely was quite mistaken all along.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If one was truly an atheist, he would care not the least whit what became of his body the moment the chemical reactions stopped in that body. The atheist wouldn't care before and by his own definition, he wouldn't care after his death.

Of course, if he does care before hand, the atheist is harboring some thoughts that go against his atheistic beliefs.

And if he cares afterwards, well he definitely was quite mistaken all along.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Did an atheist tell you all this stuff? I seriously doubt it but even if that was the case he/she would just be speaking for themselves, not for atheists in general. I'm guessing that all of the above is just your opinion of what atheists should think.