My own route

Omega man

A driver who bids a route is required to do that bid every day. Any voluntary removal can be seen as the driver vacating or "giving up" the bid. The vacated route can and should then be rebid. Drivers who make their own deals with management violate Article 6 of our Master Agreement and undermine the whole bid process. They also affect nonbid drivers who may lose the few opportunities afforded to them.

OptimusPrime

I agree that it should not be encouraged but it is nice to have a change of scenery every once in a while.

The last time I did this I jumped off my city run to cover a country run that I used to be the bid driver for. The driver who I had replaced had bad-mouthed me before I took over the run. I ran it for 3 years and loved it except during the winter. Anyway, he took the run back when I bid off it. I was asked to jump and cover the run for a day. I absolutely crushed the run and was back at the building at 3:15 with every package delivered and all 4 pickups made. The best part was that the bid driver happened to be at the bldg picking up his paycheck when I came off road. The look on his face was priceless. My on-car saw and told me to quickly punch out and be gone or else they would send me out to help someone else.

Took your full lunch and break and were back by 3:15? What kind of BS route did this guy have?

DorkHead

How come it is so hard for people to understand that different areas of the country have different rules? There is the master agreement and there are supplements.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In Connecticut right now, they do not offer bid drivers a day off anymore
If you bid a route, you are expected to do that route every single day, 10 hours a day
If you bid cover, sometimes you get 2-3 days off a week

To answer the OP's thread, even if you have a bid route, they CAN move you to another route 1 day a week, but not for a whole week
If you go on a different route for the week, it is under your direction, not theirs
This is a heavily unionized center so if they move you 2 days, that will be greved and won

DorkHead

Here, if you bid a "training route" and are displaced because of training for the week, you have the option of choosing any route (vacation cover or added routes) for those days.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In Connecticut right now, they do not offer bid drivers a day off anymore
If you bid a route, you are expected to do that route every single day, 10 hours a day
If you bid cover, sometimes you get 2-3 days off a week
In the Atlantic Area we have specific language on that and days off have to be offered in seniority order.

To answer the OP's thread, even if you have a bid route, they CAN move you to another route 1 day a week, but not for a whole week
You have language in your supplement that allows them to do that? Seems odd, why would the local agree to something like that?

If you go on a different route for the week, it is under your direction, not theirs
This is a heavily unionized center so if they move you 2 days, that will be grieved and won

Walk the line

Being a bid driver of a training route, I always expect to come off my route during peak and when a part timer is going through their driver packet. MNGMNT wil usually ask if i can cover such and such route. In my position I pick and choose my battles with caution.

Buck Fifty

Training routes are bid runs. Drivers who accept this bid do so knowing that they can be displaced for up to 6 weeks to qualify a new driver. A driver that agrees to jump to allow mgt to train a cover driver does so knowing that the run will be there waiting for him and that the run will not be converted in to a training route--this cannot be done during a bid cycle.

I still contend that the OP jumped so that they could train someone to cover his area when he goes on vacation.

Seems to me that if he was a bid driver on a training route, then the company would not have to ask, and the OP would have no choice. That's not what the OP's post let on. Course maybe a wee bit of follow up from the OP would help clear it up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seems to me that if he was a bid driver on a training route, then the company would not have to ask, and the OP would have no choice. That's not what the OP's post let on. Course maybe a wee bit of follow up from the OP would help clear it up.

The OP is not on a training route because if he were we wouldn't be having this discussion. I would also be curious if he was back on his own area on Monday.