My poor pop would be rolling in his grave!

twoweeled

your pop was probably a good guy and did not bring his work problems home with him. my dad only told me the good things about his job. he still doesn't say bad things about his job that he retired from 34 years ago.

my mom told me the truth. about the stress or harassment and the rest of the downside. she just told me those things about five years ago.

your pop was fortunate to work for UPS in "the good ol days. " i heard stories too about the BBQ's and the package guys drinking with the managers at the bar on friday nights. they even parked the pc's at the bar. it was kind of like a family then.

those days are long long long gone. all we all are is a number and whether we can make a maximum profit for the company. they will take what they can get from you and you should take what you can get from the company.
Those were the good ol days. Everyone busted their butts to do what needed to get done, and everyone knew everyone (management and hourly) was getting it done. Disagreements made and argued occasionally, then it was get back and do the job. Many covering each other"s back when necessary, then we'd argue it out later. Often ending up at some bar, pub or club for a few drinks.
I have no doubt, ol time management miss those days just as much as we do. It's a shame. It was a great company.

twoweeled

I can assure you part of those numbers are service failures.
Now, how and when those service failures are reported is another topic.
Maybe you in on some of those meetings, so you'd know best. My last years I was in feeder. I remember more than a couple of times, "trailers" being late and/or lost. I also remember the tirades in the office when I was package, over one line flight. Admittedly, they did beat up one manager over a lost trailer, but we all knew they wanted him. There were many other trailer late, and , , , , not so much.
During peak, we had what I consider, many pick up trailers repeatably picked up 1-2 days late. Most times we'd (feeder) call dispatch and tell them; you still have this trailer sitting here. Then they might leave it another day! The fact that it happened repeatedly, and the same management remained - leads me to believe "service failures" mean little, if anything. I suspect you know a lot more about how these incidents are handled than I do. But I know it wasn't like that before!

twoweeled

All the cuts in management, clerks and technicians go to pay for UPS Driver's wages.
diryM8ri9.gif

twoweeled

Technology helps pay for driver's wages as well.
Cuts in non-union employees helps pay for driver's wages too!
And it still is not enough.
I'm pretty sure, anyone who has driven package, know one thing for sure. Package is not only paying for package drivers, they are paying for almost everyone's paycheck. Package more than carries itself.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when i got in, in the early nineties , it was starting to change a lot. then the strike made sure you knew how management viewed you. like a slug. then the company went public and that was the point of no return.

we feeder drivers tried to give managers heads up on trailers or how to better serve the customer. sometimes you would get a pat on the back or a "thank you" from an ol school manager. those kind of people you would bust your butt for and go the extra mile.

most of the time you would get " you do your job and we'll do our jobs." in other words , mind your own business. no wonder most of us stopped helping. sometimes a boss would ask you " how come you didn't tell us about that extra loaded trailer at xyz customer ." and we'd say " that's your job , isn't it? you're always telling us that."

Orion inc.

I like turtles
when i got in, in the early nineties , it was starting to change a lot. then the strike made sure you knew how management viewed you. like a slug. then the company went public and that was the point of no return.

we feeder drivers tried to give managers heads up on trailers or how to better serve the customer. sometimes you would get a pat on the back or a "thank you" from an ol school manager. those kind of people you would bust your butt for and go the extra mile.

most of the time you would get " you do your job and we'll do our jobs." in other words , mind your own business. no wonder most of us stopped helping. sometimes a boss would ask you " how come you didn't tell us about that extra loaded trailer at xyz customer ." and we'd say " that's your job , isn't it? you're always telling us that."

How did you put in 35 years in if you started early 90s????

Man you can't even keep all your lies straight. What doyoudo? Read throughout this forum and pick out and learn the ups terms and inside stuff and pass it off as if you ever worked here??

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe you in on some of those meetings, so you'd know best. My last years I was in feeder. I remember more than a couple of times, "trailers" being late and/or lost. I also remember the tirades in the office when I was package, over one line flight. Admittedly, they did beat up one manager over a lost trailer, but we all knew they wanted him. There were many other trailer late, and , , , , not so much.
During peak, we had what I consider, many pick up trailers repeatably picked up 1-2 days late. Most times we'd (feeder) call dispatch and tell them; you still have this trailer sitting here. Then they might leave it another day! The fact that it happened repeatedly, and the same management remained - leads me to believe "service failures" mean little, if anything. I suspect you know a lot more about how these incidents are handled than I do. But I know it wasn't like that before!
Doesn't stop them from jacking up the dividend every year.
I'm pretty sure, anyone who has driven package, know one thing for sure. Package is not only paying for package drivers, they are paying for almost everyone's paycheck. Package more than carries itself.
hook.jpg

twoweeled

Sooo true. I've experienced all of the above. Agree with everything. The strike really revealed a lot, to all of us. funny how management had such a tough time just cleaning out the system. I didn't see any smiling faces when they returned from their 30 stop day. Yep, easy job!! LOL!

twoweeled

All I did was state the facts. Nothing more. Remember, I referred to anyone who has driven package. I should have excluded any management who did the 6-months on a residential split to go into management. lol They of course thought they had been through hell and back. Or the person who was hired, knowing he/she was going into management.
Other than that. No doubt about it. Package was thee most difficult job at UPS. If I'm wrong, please point out the more difficult job. I'm all ears!
Please be specific.
all+ears.jpg