My route being cut out on days that volume is low.

Niceride

My question is this. My route is being cut out on days that volume is low. I know I have the option to follow my work to the route its been cut to as long as its 50% or more, and I have seniorty on that driver. If its a two way split I can go to either route as long as I have seniorty on the driver. My question is this what if i don't want to follow the work can I bump another drive with less seniorty then me? or do I take a junk route thats been put together? what are my options? Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am making an assumption here that your route averages 100-120 stops. If this is accurate then when it is cut the work is probably being spread to 3 or more routes so following the work is most likely not an option. I would check with your steward as to what your options at your center would be. Where I work drivers of cut routes have the option of bumping a lower seniority driver or working on the inside to get their hours. Most opt to either work on the inside or take the day off.

over9five

Staff member
HERE, I believe you cannot bump just anyone unless your route is cut for 14 days. You ALWAYS can have your guaranteed 8. If no-one wanted the day, they would have to lay off the bottom man so you could do his route.

StopCount

In my center:

The drivers with cut routes are forced to be cover drivers and pick an open route based on seniority.

Or they have the option to go home if it gets down to them.

Bid route drivers and inside workers cannot be bumped here because of route cuts.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In the central, you can follow your work to any route it is cut to as long as you are senior to the driver it went to. If you chose not to follow the work, you can displace the MOST JUNIOR driver. This means your seniority means nothing but you can still work as a cover driver. You will not get to chose what route you want to run.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK, suppose he loses a residential section of about 25 stops to a route that had 100, giving that area 125. Are you saying that he can then bump that bid driver from that route simply because of a residential add/cut? Does the bumped driver then have the right to bump the most junior driver? Does this happen very often or does the driver who has his route cut usually just take the day off?

SWORDFISH

In the central, you can follow your work to any route it is cut to as long as you are senior to the driver it went to. If you chose not to follow the work, you can displace the MOST JUNIOR driver. This means your seniority means nothing but you can still work as a cover driver. You will not get to chose what route you want to run.

The West is the same as above.

SWORDFISH

OK, suppose he loses a residential section of about 25 stops to a route that had 100, giving that area 125. Are you saying that he can then bump that bid driver from that route simply because of a residential add/cut? Does the bumped driver then have the right to bump the most junior driver? Does this happen very often or does the driver who has his route cut usually just take the day off?

25 stops is not 50% of the work on any route I know of. If theres a route like that sign me up. So the answer would be no. If it were half though and he got bumped then the bumped guy becomes a cover driver and will take route he wants that is available based on cover driver seniority.

grgrcr88

Not certain I follow completely, if a route is out completely, on a temporary basis, meaning less than 30 calender days consecutive. A driver can follow the work as stated above. Once the route is deemed a permanent change, more than 30 calender days consecutive, the language is a bit different. You cannot follow work simply because a split is pulled from your area if your route is still intact.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

25 stops is not 50% of the work on any route I know of. If theres a route like that sign me up. So the answer would be no. If it were half though and he got bumped then the bumped guy becomes a cover driver and will take route he wants that is available based on cover driver seniority.

That was the main reason for my question. Grocer did not specify that 50% of the work on the route had been cut to one area. In our center when they cut an area the work usually goes to 3 or 4 different areas thus negating the 50% rule.

grgrcr88

That was the main reason for my question. Grocer did not specify that 50% of the work on the route had been cut to one area. In our center when they cut an area the work usually goes to 3 or 4 different areas thus negating the 50% rule.

If the route is cut out completely, you can follow work to anywhere it went as long as you are senior, do not have to have 50% of the work on one route to follow it.

SWORDFISH

If the route is cut out completely, you can follow work to anywhere it went as long as you are senior, do not have to have 50% of the work on one route to follow it.

hmm... I think its different here. Im in a different part of the country than you though.

SWORDFISH

hmm... I think its different here. Im in a different part of the country than you though.

UPSTATE Im not completely sure anymore. Very good questions but I may not be giving correct info. I thought it was a certain way but I need to reresearch it to be able to answer the different scenarios. The only thing I have ever known is the 50% rule but grgrcr88 has introduced somethings that are either not rules in my area or Im not familiar w/ them. Grgrcr88 do you know if those rules are just for the central or would they apply in the west as well?

grgrcr88

UPSTATE Im not completely sure anymore. Very good questions but I may not be giving correct info. I thought it was a certain way but I need to reresearch it to be able to answer the different scenarios. The only thing I have ever known is the 50% rule but grgrcr88 has introduced somethings that are either not rules in my area or Im not familiar w/ them. Grgrcr88 do you know if those rules are just for the central or would they apply in the west as well?

Not sure, could be central suplement only

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In my center:

The drivers with cut routes are forced to be cover drivers and pick an open route based on seniority.

Or they have the option to go home if it gets down to them.

Bid route drivers and inside workers cannot be bumped here because of route cuts.

Exactly the same here.

Re-Raise

In 710 and that is how it works here. They split my route among the three routes next to mine in the loop.

They in turn lose stops to the routes next to them, spreading the pain so to speak.

I have never heard the 50% thing mentioned here on the daily cuts. That seems like a pretty high threshold to ever meet.

grgrcr88

In 710 and that is how it works here. They split my route among the three routes next to mine in the loop.

They in turn lose stops to the routes next to them, spreading the pain so to speak.

I have never heard the 50% thing mentioned here on the daily cuts. That seems like a pretty high threshold to ever meet.

In the central the 50% rule only comes into affect on a permanent change.