My route being cut out on days that volume is low.

browniehound

HERE, I believe you cannot bump just anyone unless your route is cut for 14 days. You ALWAYS can have your guaranteed 8. If no-one wanted the day, they would have to lay off the bottom man so you could do his route.

I think Over9five has it correct here. I'm also assuming your route is cut on Mondays and any other light day but is in 3-4 days/week? It also sounds like your work goes to 3-6 drivers and you can't really follow it?

Its my understanding you can bump anyone with lower senoirity for the day, any day. Even if it means bumping a driver off his bid route for the day. However, like Over said, your route would have to be out for 14(or whatever the number is) before you could permantly bump said driver off his bid route permantly.

Also, you might be "forced" to bump the lowest senoirity driver working that day. In other words, I don't think you can just take your pick of routes and say: "I want to bump this guy" when "this guy" has juice over other drivers.

If you really want to get technical and by the "book" you would have to bump the lowest guy regardless if you knew the route ot not. I've never seen this happen and never seen the issue forced, but this is how it should pan out.

The only exception would be if you were a cover driver and forced to work as directed. In other words, they can put you where ever the hell they want, except laid off, if junior guys are working.

When you think about it, its correct. How can you go and bump "A" driver because you know and like the route, When "A" driver has senoirity over 5 other drivers and doesn't know any of their routes. It wouldn't be fair to "A" driver to be laid off with junior guys working. Do you follow me?

I would love to be corrected if I'm wrong. The bottom line is, if you're bumped for the day and you want to work you have to bump the lowest guy when all other options are exhuasted.

Now, it sounds like you have a route that will be cut the entire summer or at least 60 days. In this situation you can either stay on your route and work as directed for the summer and have your route back in september or you can bump someone off their bid route after 14 days. Then you own the route until the next bid.

I hope this helps, lol.

Browniehound

Re-Raise

Its my understanding you can bump anyone with lower senoirity for the day, any day. Even if it means bumping a driver off his bid route for the day.

Also, you might be "forced" to bump the lowest senoirity driver working that day.

Don't these two statements contradict each other? This is the problem.

What does a driver with 20+ years of seniority do when their route is cut and they haven't ran any other routes for 15 years.

Why should I be forced to the bottom of the seniority list while other drivers with less seniority are running my stops?

Once you bid a route at my center you are on it until another route comes open that you bid on. We can't just change our bid routes every year here.

Kman845

You want time and a half for the whole day? Boy you are funny!

Choose a day off with or without pay, or time and a half if under 40 hrs, double time if over 40. If your route gets cut you should be compensated.

Or maybe we should just let management do whatever whenever. Why even have routes? Just bounce everyone around on something different every day. Customers will just love never knowing when their deliveries will show up... But keep with that pickup compliance +/- 15!!!!

Glad you enjoy my humor, upstate!! Let 'em cut your route and see how you like it!!!

K

I have four active sales leads all generating volume. It's not that hard to find and submit a sales lead.

I wish more people would understand that those pkgs being delivered by FDX ground did not magically appear. They used to be delivered by another company utilizing brown trucks. If we had that volume back that we have lost would we be talking so much about breaking up routes? Don't misunderstand. I believe that every pkg should be picked up and be delivered by UPS and it is the responsibility of mgmt, drivers and bd to get it done. The problem is the way the company is going about it. Right away someone up above makes sales leads a "numbers game" and the pressure is on and everything falls apart. One good lead is worth more then 10 submitted just to get mgmt off your back. Then there is BD...they need to realize that those leads need to be answered like "yesterday!" That sends the signal out to the customer and the driver that yes we want your business and a thank you for submitting the lead. Sorry for the rant!

SWORDFISH

I have four active sales leads all generating volume. It's not that hard to find and submit a sales lead.

My point was if I added those 4 p/ups to my route UPS wouldnt take off any stops and give them to someone else. They never take off stops when you add volume to your route in my experience anyway. So IMO p/ups added wont keep routes from being cut unless your speaking of extra p/ups from somewhere else adding delivery volume to my area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My point was if I added those 4 p/ups to my route UPS wouldnt take off any stops and give them to someone else. They never take off stops when you add volume to your route in my experience anyway. So IMO p/ups added wont keep routes from being cut unless your speaking of extra p/ups from somewhere else adding delivery volume to my area.

So your justification for not looking for new volume is you may have to do more work? I have to admit that answer suprised me coming from you.

SWORDFISH

So your justification for not looking for new volume is you may have to do more work? I have to admit that answer suprised me coming from you.

At what point did I ever say that? You missed my point. I have another thought to add to the whole sales lead thing. Why dont they use our supes that are driving around following us and instead have them go around and get sales leads to justify their jobs. They follow us around an awful lot. Seems to me an awful big waste of money that could be put to better use. By the way Dave this isnt me saying anything about whether I or any other driver should or shouldnt get sales leads.

Kman845

Cut routes lead to inconsistent delivery schedules, which in turn make customers upset when they cannot count on deliveries being made with any consistency. I have a 95% resi route with a few home-based businesses. One of these is a daily pickup that ships approx. 10-25 packages a day, over 50K a year in shipping costs. When my route's in he always gets his packages in the morning, allowing him to turn them around and ship them out later that same day. When my route gets cut he doesn't get his deliveries in the morning, compromising his business.

Several people have complained about this, sometimes having three different drivers a week delivering their stuff at different times every day. UPS is doing this pickup compliance stuff but somehow it doesn't apply to our delivery schedules due to the cutting of routes...

I could complain to management but I'd be more succesfull talking to a brick wall. I'll save my breath, thank you.

K

Cut routes lead to inconsistent delivery schedules, which in turn make customers upset when they cannot count on deliveries being made with any consistency. I have a 95% resi route with a few home-based businesses. One of these is a daily pickup that ships approx. 10-25 packages a day, over 50K a year in shipping costs. When my route's in he always gets his packages in the morning, allowing him to turn them around and ship them out later that same day. When my route gets cut he doesn't get his deliveries in the morning, compromising his business.

Several people have complained about this, sometimes having three different drivers a week delivering their stuff at different times every day. UPS is doing this pickup compliance stuff but somehow it doesn't apply to our delivery schedules due to the cutting of routes...

I could complain to management but I'd be more succesfull talking to a brick wall. I'll save my breath, thank you.

K

That is just my point. All this bitchin' about routes being cut when the key to this problem is increasing the volume so a minimal amout of routes would be cut, thus eliminating the situation mentioned above. The only way to solve this is everyone to work together and, I do mean EVERYONE and WORKING TOGETHER. IMO I think UPS needs to put more money into BD and I do mean getting quality employees into BD that give a damn about the future of the company they work for!

Think your route won't be cut because you have too many pickups?? Do you guys have telematics??

Where I'm at they slice these routes up with a couple of key strokes. Then they print out an add/cut ticket, hand it to the preload sup (and this freshly printed paper becomes his top priority), and just like that routes get sliced and diced.

That's what they can do in a rush. Think of the damage they could do if they have all day to play. 'They' are called PAS. I sometimes refer to them as the puppet masters. "Here you go dance over here, then cut through three routes and dance over here." They cause absolute chaos. Never asking drivers opinions about where things should go, forget asking they have been programmed to not listen!!

I have seen some crazy things. Once upon a time I too thought that my route wouldn't be affected because of my heavy p/u volume. "Sigh"

Sorry I'm new at this, this was a reply to UpstateNY.

Re-Raise

Actually my run would not be cut as I have too many pickups.

Huh? You don't think they can divide the pickups among other routes just like they can divide deliveries?

Pickup compliance goes out the window when routes are cut at our center.

I had an OMS ask me the other day about a complaint from one of my pickups who complained about their pickup being made at 10 a.m. some days and 3 p.m. on other days, like I was doing something wrong.

I told him those were the days when my route was cut and he just said OK and the issue was dropped.

Got to keep those stops per car up regardless of the overtime or customer service problems.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been told by both my on-car and dispatch sup that my run would be one of the last to be cut as there are too many pickups. They have 2-3 areas that are the first to get cut.

SWORDFISH

That is just my point. All this bitchin' about routes being cut when the key to this problem is increasing the volume so a minimal amout of routes would be cut, thus eliminating the situation mentioned above. The only way to solve this is everyone to work together and, I do mean EVERYONE and WORKING TOGETHER. IMO I think UPS needs to put more money into BD and I do mean getting quality employees into BD that give a damn about the future of the company they work for!

I have another idea and I dont know you so Im not relating this to you but only the people and situations I know. UPS needs to change thier treatment of people from the top all the way down, drop the unrealistic speaches and expectations and warlike atmosphere they have created. Im sure people can add to this but thats a good quick start. People will then come out of survival mode and I dont care about anything except getting to retirement and taking the next jet the HECK out of Brown. People will then start to care again. THIS IS A GENERAL STATEMENT IF I DONT KNOW YOU AND IT DOESNT FIT YOU THEN IM PROBABLY NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU (MY DISCLAIMER).