My son in IE? The horror!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I know everyone is dying for an update. The lad ended up choosing Wisconsin. He's in his 3rd year and now is in the school of engineering. He just excepted an internship down in Kentucky working for a fortune 100 company. He will have to miss a semester but will be payed full time wages from Jan thru May and possibly continuing into summer.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I know everyone is dying for an update. The lad ended up choosing Wisconsin. He's in his 3rd year and now is in the school of engineering. He just excepted an internship down in Kentucky working for a fortune 100 company. He will have to miss a semester but will be payed full time wages from Jan thru May and possibly continuing into summer.
I graduated from Madison in 1981 with a degree in Chemical Engineering.
My son will attend UW next fall studying Biomedical Engineering.
​What field of engineering is the lad studying?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
My son toured MSOE (Milwaukee School of Engineering) this past weekend. After talking with them he has decided to go into the field of Industrial Engieering. UPS was even brought up in the presentation. Is he destined to be "some idiot in a cubicle"?

Sounds like your son is choosing "real" industrial engineering as a field. "Real" industrial engineering is a form of design engineering with the purpose of designing/redesigning products to maximize product efficiency / eliminate waste. UPS industrial engineering is a subset of cost (managerial) accounting also with the purpose of maximizing efficiency/eliminating waste ... but they're not physically designing anything. Hence why most upper-level UPS IE positions require a business degree of some sort, and not an engineering degree. Most of the IE people we deal with at UPS lack any type of degree and are merely foot soldiers. I always chuckle when I hear some 20-year-old kid working in IE telling me "duh... I'm going to apply for IE at Tesla Motors!"

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If my son worked for UPS I.E. Dept. I would tell everyone he played piano in a bordello...it would be less embarassing.