My son will be my helper this peak. Will be thank me or hate me?

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
19 year old son wants to help out his old man. He wants to know how hard I work doing my job. I hope he appreciates the years I provided for him and his sister.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a couple of drivers who have their sons, who are both college students home on break, as their helpers. I have been trying to get my son to do it but he is not a morning person.

Whether he thanks your or hates you is irrelevant----what is important is whether he respects you and what you do when it is all over.

gingerkat

I met a girl at orientation and this is her second year helping her dad. She likes working with dad, so apparently dad is nice to her.

jaker

trolling
I had my son one year and it was the best thing , I wore him out and he got to see how we work

Now when I come home tired he knows how I feel

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have a couple of drivers who have their sons, who are both college students home on break, as their helpers. I have been trying to get my son to do it but he is not a morning person.

Whether he thanks your or hates you is irrelevant----what is important is whether he respects you and what you do when it is all over.
Morning? You all don't start til like 10 right?

Overpaid Union Thug

It depends on how you use your helper. Most helpers like working with me because I don't work them to death. I just treat every day of peak like any other day of the year and follow all of the methods. That means no stacking packages in the cab or driving with the bulkhead door open for example. I don't drop them off to deliver a bunch of houses while I go down the street either. It's just business as usual for me. I'm on a split route that is primarily rural and management usually insists that I use a helper so the helper get's plenty of windshield time. Oh well. I just do as I'm told.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Working with relatives use to be a big no-no around here, but is pretty common this year. Gotta wonder why -- many of these drivers are working their kids (or other family members) 40-50 hours per week, when they're only authorized to use them 20-30, and running 3-5 hours over per day.

I lost 1.5 weeks helping due to the large number of drivers working family members... even though my local rider is clear that insiders get preference (before T-Giving and after X-Mas) based upon seniority. Hard to grieve, will just pee off somebody who'd rather be with his kid.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have a driver that his wife was his helper a few years and now his daughter is a helper for another driver. Smartly enough, they put this helper with one of our most innocent drivers ever. Helpers dad has nothing to worry about with him. ha ha

And my wife has already said she would be my helper in a heartbeat even though I told her I would make her run her ass off. She said, "that's ok, I have plenty of it to run off."

jaker

trolling
We have a driver that his wife was his helper a few years and now his daughter is a helper for another driver. Smartly enough, they put this helper with one of our most innocent drivers ever. Helpers dad has nothing to worry about with him. ha ha

And my wife has already said she would be my helper in a heartbeat even though I told her I would make her run her ass off. She said, "that's ok, I have plenty of it to run off."
I thought about getting my wife , but I just know it won't work

I would feel bad about heavy pkgs and watching her move faster then she usually does and that would mean I would be out of the truck helping her more then I should be

Thebrownstreak

I had my brother as a helper a few years ago. We were doing around 300 stops out of a rental. It was by far the worst thing working out of that rental. For the most part we did well together. There were times though where he would laugh at my frustration, and i felt like leaving him in the middle of no where. Good Luck with your son.

stealth8

My son was my helper for the 4 years he was in college. We had a great time and he was by far the best helper I ever had, we had a blast working together! Unfortunately he has yet to find a job with his degree this year so he is now driver for UPS this Christmas. I retired last year ( after 33 years in delivery) ,so I see him coming home late every night totally exhausted. One night he didn't get home until 11pm because the snow in the area. I make sure I have a nice hot hearty meal waiting for him, and we talk about his day. It sounds like this year the volume has been incredible!! Happy Holidays to all my fellow UPSERS,past and present!

barnyard

KTM rider
My daughter was going to be my helper a couple of years ago, but she a conflict at school. Kind of bummed me out, I was looking forward to it.

DSM515

I have my daughters boyfriend he is 19 and by far the best helper I had in 14 peeks. Never complains, very efficient and picked up the diad in like 3 stops, but my daughter says it might be because he's know I mean business with work and her! Good kid though, he's gonna get a 100$ from me when he's over at our place Christmas Eve