My story on full electric vehicles

Two years ago my hub was given a whole fleet of electric vehicles. At first we were very excited, but then everybody started to complain about them. At the time I didn't know what everyone was talking about because I was a pre loader. To my surprise they gave me one on my training route when I started cover driving.

It was the worst experience that I've ever had at UPS. The problem with these electric trucks is that the range is only about 60 to 80 miles , and that is if you do not drive on any highways or freeways. If you were to drive on a freeway it would significantly lower your range. It seemed like every day I needed to have a truck swap. Which meant that my times would constantly fluctuate.

So my question is does anybody else have these horrible electric vehicles? If you do, do you hate them as much as everyone else in my building does?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
electric vehicles are improving very quickly. that new Tesla is so amazing it seems like it is from another world.

give it time.

S

selfcancelsignal

I'd take a quiet electric automatic 7 or 800. Sounds like it'd work fine on my 40 mile a day route.

Box Ox

Not a fan of the idea of being whisper quiet on area. People do dumb enough things already when they do hear you coming.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yes, we have hybrid electrics, hybrid hydraulics, and pure electrics. The pure electrics have a 4cyl generator on board to create power in high consumption times. The guys that drive these don't complain, except when they are taken out due to another mechanical failure and are given a beater.

JL 0513

We're still going out in 1980's pkg cars, and you have electrics?

Vehicle swaps to get through the day, LOL!
Yup, that'll save the environment. Then again, we're talking about coal powered vehicles....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We're still going out in 1980's pkg cars, and you have electrics?

Vehicle swaps to get through the day, LOL!
Yup, that'll save the environment. Then again, we're talking about coal powered vehicles....
15 years should be about the max any package car is allowed to stay around.

There are some super low mile routes that could get by for longer.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Which of the Tesla's out of production, the two in production or the planned one are you talking about?
i'm not exactly sure which model it is. one got a great review with consumer reports and then there was a story on digg.com about one. that costs around 145k.

Gear

Parts on Order
15 years should be about the max any package car is allowed to stay around.

There are some super low mile routes that could get by for longer.

Its the rusted out frame rails that sends the PCs to the crusher. And this is after several "patches" to cover holes. The older furniture vans (box trucks) seem to have the worst frame rails. Some of those rails have spots that are paper thin. Eventually we'll see one on the news that broke in half. How do they pass a state inspection, you ask? They dont, mechs will refuse to sticker it, so management will send it out to get stickered. The idea is, "just for this peak." But this peak turns into, next peak, and so on.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Its the rusted out frame rails that sends the PCs to the crusher. And this is after several "patches" to cover holes. The older furniture vans (box trucks) seem to have the worst frame rails. Some of those rails have spots that are paper thin. Eventually we'll see one on the news that broke in half. How do they pass a state inspection, you ask? They dont, mechs will refuse to sticker it, so management will send it out to get stickered. The idea is, "just for this peak." But this peak turns into, next peak, and so on.
I got no problem with a frame rail breaking on me. Just as long as the injuries are all healable lol

I'd retire soon after that lawsuit