My story on full electric vehicles

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'd be willing to bet we are the only fleet still running vehicles with a driver seat lap belt. The crack head running around town stealing scrap metal might have a lap belt, but thats not a fleet.

So you propose to ADA all of the vehicles still in service for one reason, and one reason alone? They only have a lap belt.

How about the manual transmission ones, the ones without power steering. Do you want to ADA those also?

When their useful life is over, they will be put out to pasture.

Don't worry, it is only a matter of time. Then we will only have automatics with 3 point harnesses and power steering.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So you propose to ADA all of the vehicles still in service for one reason, and one reason alone? They only have a lap belt.

How about the manual transmission ones, the ones without power steering. Do you want to ADA those also?

Don't worry, it is only a matter of time. Then we will only have automatics with 3 point harnesses and power steering.
It's a manual, it's got a high step, narrow doors, the power steering sucks.... but it runs fine (most days). Ok I've got no problem with that, I can get the job done same as with a new truck.

All I'm saying is can they not at least retrofit it with a three point harness? The same company that will follow you around to nitpick about pulling in your mirror in the name of "safety" can't get us an adequate safety device that might save lives?

I mean hell, my knees are in the dash..... it's like the thing was made for little people, my head would be through the windshield if I got in an accident.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It's a manual, it's got a high step, narrow doors, the power steering sucks.... but it runs fine (most days). Ok I've got no problem with that, I can get the job done same as with a new truck.

All I'm saying is can they not at least retrofit it with a three point harness? The same company that will follow you around to nitpick about pulling in your mirror in the name of "safety" can't get us an adequate safety device that might save lives?

I mean hell, my knees are in the dash..... it's like the thing was made for little people, my head would be through the windshield if I got in an accident.

They cannot retro-fit.

That would be classified as modifying a vehicle. If it did not come from the factory, or there is a factory recommended fix, UPS will not do it.

I do see where you are coming from though.

Personally, I hate the 3 point seatbelts. Give me just a lap belt anytime.

JL 0513

They cannot retro-fit.

That would be classified as modifying a vehicle. If it did not come from the factory, or there is a factory recommended fix, UPS will not do it.

True about not being allowed to modify. If they could, the whole seat would have to be replaced with the high back design which would fit in the ridiculously cramped cab. That's the other problem with these 80's models, a seat back that end half way up your back - awful! I'd like to find the group of people who designed those package cars back then and punch them in the brain. How is it that you could design every aspect of a vehicle incorrectly in the 1980's? We went to the moon 20 years earlier!

As for liking the lap belt, you realize that your head smashes onto the steering wheel or the close windshield in the event of an accident, right? That said, remember when you didn't even have to wear a belt as a UPS driver?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
True about not being allowed to modify. If they could, the whole seat would have to be replaced with the high back design which would fit in the ridiculously cramped cab. That's the other problem with these 80's models, a seat back that end half way up your back - awful! I'd like to find the group of people who designed those package cars back then and punch them in the brain. How is it that you could design every aspect of a vehicle incorrectly in the 1980's? We went to the moon 20 years earlier!

As for liking the lap belt, you realize that your head smashes onto the steering wheel or the close windshield in the event of an accident, right? That said, remember when you didn't even have to wear a belt as a UPS driver?

Yes I do and yes I do.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

It was not even considered to put the old GMC's over to PS even though the parts already existed to make it an under-one-hour bolt in job.

Overpaid Union Thug

Two years ago my hub was given a whole fleet of electric vehicles. At first we were very excited, but then everybody started to complain about them. At the time I didn't know what everyone was talking about because I was a pre loader. To my surprise they gave me one on my training route when I started cover driving.

It was the worst experience that I've ever had at UPS. The problem with these electric trucks is that the range is only about 60 to 80 miles , and that is if you do not drive on any highways or freeways. If you were to drive on a freeway it would significantly lower your range. It seemed like every day I needed to have a truck swap. Which meant that my times would constantly fluctuate.

So my question is does anybody else have these horrible electric vehicles? If you do, do you hate them as much as everyone else in my building does?
The limited range on those vehicles would be adequate if drivers would simply follow ORION.........

:rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gear

Parts on Order

Im talking about the seat belt. It can be upgraded to a 3 point easily. I dont care, Im not driving the truck. Its crazy to think someone who drives all day is ok with a lap belt. The only reason we still have lap belts is because the company wont spend the money for the upgrade. A billion dollar company shouldnt be running trucks from the early 90s. No body else is running a fleet of trucks that old on the road. Why should UPS?

As far as manual trannies go, I think all truck should have manuals. Power steering? Come on bro, all trucks should have power steering, its 2016. How could even bring that up? If you think a lap belt and not having power steering in todays world is ok, you have been at UPS to long.

All these old trucks are on the road because they are to cheap to buy new ones. Look around, how many old trucks are on the road? Its all about money. Its crazy to see a driver defend the company's stance on running old trucks.

Power steering? Wow!

Gear

Parts on Order
They cannot retro-fit.

We are currently adding shims to remove the gap from the battery box cover on certain PCs. Someone must have gotten their shoe under the gap and tripped stepping into a PC. The shims fill the gap so the shoe wont fit under the battery box lid. We do modify trucks or retro fit, but only when Big Brown says to.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We are currently adding shims to remove the gap from the battery box cover on certain PCs. Someone must have gotten their shoe under the gap and tripped stepping into a PC. The shims fill the gap so the shoe wont fit under the battery box lid. We do modify trucks or retro fit, but only when Big Brown says to.

They came from the factory that way. UPS considers this a manufacturing defect and has decided to correct the issue.

A package car with just a lap belt is not a manufacturing defect.

Welcome to the world of Big Brown.

S

selfcancelsignal

No modifications? Damn. I was hoping they'd instruct all the mechanics nationwide to rip every manual transmission out of existing PC's that have them & install automatics. Haha. Kidding of course, but wonder how much that would cost? I'm sure it'd be cheaper to just crush & buy brand new. I suppose that's why I wouldn't be surprised if the company actually did demand all the mechanics to do this.

Retiree

Retro fitting or modifying causes serious liability issues in the event of a seat belt failure. If UPS retro fitted or modified the seat belt and it fails in an accident, it becomes 100% UPS liability and not GM', Ford's, etc. UPS can repair or replace but can not modify.

A couple years ago the shop in my building started to install LED lights in the cargo area of the older package cars. It was great until someone up the chain said that was a modification and to take them out.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They cannot retro-fit.

So the company can retrofit trailer hitches, trailer brakes, Telematics, rear-view monitors, keyless ignition and keyless door openers to the package cars...but it can't "modify" them with a 3 point seat belt? I call BS. The simple reason for not adding 3 point belts is that it would cost money. Modifications are fine if they increase productivity or reduce the company's liability and maintaince costs, but saving the life of a driver is not worth the $50 cost of the belt.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So the company can retrofit trailer hitches, trailer brakes, Telematics, rear-view monitors, keyless ignition and keyless door openers to the package cars...but it can't "modify" them with a 3 point seat belt? I call BS. The simple reason for not adding 3 point belts is that it would cost money. Modifications are fine if they increase productivity or reduce the company's liability and maintaince costs, but saving the life of a driver is not worth the $50 cost of the belt.

If the part in question is available from the factory, or available as an option, it can be installed by UPS. This is not modifying equipment. It is installing optional equipment.

New package cars come equipped with telematics, keyless ignition, rear view cameras, automatic door openers, etc. So UPS can install these on older package cars and not worry about any liability. These are all add on items.

A seatbelt is not an add on item.

UPS cannot remove an existing 2 point seatbelt and replace it with a 3 point seatbelt.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
A couple years ago the shop in my building started to install LED lights in the cargo area of the older package cars. It was great until someone up the chain said that was a modification and to take them out.

Weird. They also did this at my center but they weren't removed. Glad they didn't, those LED lights are WAY better than those old ass subway tunnel lights they used to have.

Gear

Parts on Order
If the part in question is available from the factory, or available as an option, it can be installed by UPS. This is not modifying equipment. It is installing optional equipment.

New package cars come equipped with telematics, keyless ignition, rear view cameras, automatic door openers, etc. So UPS can install these on older package cars and not worry about any liability. These are all add on items.

A seatbelt is not an add on item.

UPS cannot remove an existing 2 point seatbelt and replace it with a 3 point seatbelt.

What about having an outside shop weld metal plates/patches over holes in the frame? The frame is already rusted out, the patches are welded onto rusty metal. Which holds no strength at all, its just there to cover the holes. A rusted frame rail with patches is a weaken structure. Would you consider that a modification? It didnt come from the OEM with patches. Who would take liability if the frame broke on the highway?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
What about having an outside shop weld metal plates/patches over holes in the frame? The frame is already rusted out, the patches are welded onto rusty metal. Which holds no strength at all, its just there to cover the holes. A rusted frame rail with patches is a weaken structure. Would you consider that a modification? It didnt come from the OEM with patches. Who would take liability if the frame broke on the highway?
Cracks and rusted out frames is scary stuff. Glad we don't have the rust issue in my area. Just the odd rare cracks from Dukes Of Hazzard reenactments.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Weird. They also did this at my center but they weren't removed. Glad they didn't, those LED lights are WAY better than those old ass subway tunnel lights they used to have.
I've done upgrades on all the cars that are likely to remain for a while. Others I've had to replace because they turned yellow.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

That is referred to as repairing a vehicle, not modifying a vehicle. Modifying a frame would be removing it and replacing it, with say, an aluminum frame.

I don't know about just welding a patch plate over a hole. I would have to see it.

If the integrity of the frame is not in question, yes, a plate can be welded over a hole.

If the integrity of the frame is in question, it may need sistered. There are a variety of ways to fix a rusty, bent or broken frame.

As far as liability, I don't know. I am not a lawyer.

Bottom line, that is not modifying a vehicle. That is repairing a vehicle.

Edit: Looks like me talking about holes in frames was censored.

Last edited: