my story: please read need feedback to become p/t sup

Cementups

Box Monkey
Upstate, my name isn't Steve. We have enough of those around here.

While you may have had nice cars......

They didn't have the uneasy feeling of telling people they were hitting on that they "Still lived at home with mom." :)

Ha ha funny. No not really. I've been with the same girl since I was 19. I met her right before my dad passed away. then her dad died a few years later. She still lived at home the whole time as well. We got married when were 27 and still never lived together till we were 28, 8 months later, while we waited for the builders to get done with our house. march will be 15 years together.

tieguy

Banned
I didn't see where you mentioned your long term plans. I'm guessing you're a little more then half way through college? At this point your long term plans may be the question that answers your question. Being a part time sup gives you a little more money then what you earn now. Maybe 1300 to 1500 a month depending on what part of the country you live in. If you plan to work in a criminology related position when you graduate then you probably won't find the ups LP / security job that appealing. if nothing else its pretty much a dead end job with little advancement.The part time sup job will give you some experience managing people and give you a resume enhancer. So yes it will meet some of your short term needs.

I went into pt supervision when I was 21. Back then I was paid once a month at 25 hrs a week. But I was stuck there for 5 years. I was stuck moving to other centers, shifts, and sometimes buildings daily. Many times I double shifted and often tripple shifted. A few times I had to sit in on conference calls for center manager's. Was told many times going driving was done on a merit basis. Bottom line it could be a dead end job at UPS especially if you become the crappiest pt supe like I was.

A

anonymous6

Sounds like you would make a good pt supe as long as you didn't expext every loader to be as good as you. Do you think you would be a good trainer and leader?

I'd wait at least 3 more months and see how the first quarter of 09 goes with the economy.

Our center is projecting 30% layoffs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sounds like you would make a good pt supe as long as you didn't expext every loader to be as good as you. Do you think you would be a good trainer and leader?

I'd wait at least 3 more months and see how the first quarter of 09 goes with the economy.

Our center is projecting 30% layoffs.

In our hub, the rumour is they are laying off trainers first. We have many trainers, not just a handful.

I agree 100% regarding the economy and giving it some more time.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Management at UPS is no prize and their medical benefits HELLA SUCK(compared to union employees) and are paid for by the employee. Just something to consider.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
One negative would be going from the number one loader to only being as good as those who work for you. You won't get any praise from poor numbers that other people put up.

P

pickup

One negative would be going from the number one loader to only being as good as those who work for you. You won't get any praise from poor numbers that other people put up.

succinctly put , it would the equivalent of you putting up poor numbers as a loader. You can always discipline and motivate yourself, can you do it to others successfully?

Bad Gas!

If you like free colonoscopies weekly at the age of 21, then a PT sup is the Right decision. Mgt will rip you a new one every which way it will go.They will gang-bang you over misloads and bad production.....You will go from the penthouse star loader to the outhouse bendover PT sup....Sorry about the decription. I've been with UPS since 1980..Keep hitting the books like you loads those walls.Keep your options open....

hey guys thanks for the input you gave me a few laughs also ahhah.

yea so i dont know you guys got me all nervous about the current situation of the economy.

it sounds like the biggest con of becoming a p/t sup right now would be getting laid off due to the economy however, since I belong to a small hub there aren't many sups i'd say about 20 p/ters or so on the nite sort I work at. so I don't think there will be any sups getting laid off due to not having enough work or volume reasons. I would probably just get on the "list" and wont get promoted immediately until somebody either 1, leaves their poistion or 2. maybe one of the new sups get fired for doing a ****ty job.

the money will really be great don't get me wrong, I mean ill be doubling my salary but its not like I really need it because I have been making it work for over a year. going to school and working at night as a loader , and I kind of like this lifestyle because it lets me have time for my studies.

I think If I wait tho i'm gonna get really pissed if that kid becomes a sup (I load with) when hes a ****tier loader/pickoff than me.

just to clarify, I get the 1500$ (max allowed) for tuition so I'm already taking advantage of that. I think one of you guys said that sups get a better tuition reimbursement is that true?

don't you get raises a sup every year or whatever? Next week one of the sups said they were going to be getting paid every week which is cool. I plan on leaving UPS when I finish my bachelors whats that 2 years? So my gut just tells me to be a sup and make as much money as possible. then get the hell outta there .Oh god this decision is really stressin me out.

hey one of you guys said something about the security job there that I can apply for when I get my bachelors in criminology can you talk a little bit more about that job please?

late january, ill be going to school 9-1 mon-fri then if i was suping go to work at 4:30-10:30 thats not bad at all Ill still have time to focus on my studies.

what the hell is the p/t sup beni package?

all you guys say p/t sup is a dead end job but thats fine I plan on leaving in a few years anywya when I graduate so maybe I shuold just be a sup!! i think thats what I should do.

Its tough tho cuz I need to know if I get laid off for any reason while I'm a sup will my job as a loader be waiting for me with my seniority intact?

so I guess let me do this to weigh it out

pros
-DOUBLE THE SALARY more money to buy everything I want
-take my girl out more cuz I cant with this fkin 200 bux a week Ill tell you that
-pay credit card off
-get out of my house
-save money for car cuz my 97 acura is getting old
-won't do nearly half the work wont be EXHAUSTED every night when I get home
-more money for college (I think)
-my belt has all good loaders so I wont really have to worry about that too much
- overall better mood cuz I wont be broke all the time
- resume helper
- I mean I think the p/t sups that have been doind it for 10 years or so gets paid good money no?
cons
- job security
-possible loss of seniorty with then union if I get laid off for any p0urpose
- not in teamsters lose the great benis
- have to deal with them busting your balls every night
-economy situation
-job security

well before I leave for work let me just go on the record and say I still don't know what the *** I shud do I think I should wait a month maybe

drewed

Shankman
hey guys thanks for the input you gave me a few laughs also ahhah.

yea so i dont know you guys got me all nervous about the current situation of the economy.

it sounds like the biggest con of becoming a p/t sup right now would be getting laid off due to the economy however, since I belong to a small hub there aren't many sups i'd say about 20 p/ters or so on the nite sort I work at. so I don't think there will be any sups getting laid off due to not having enough work or volume reasons. I would probably just get on the "list" and wont get promoted immediately until somebody either 1, leaves their poistion or 2. maybe one of the new sups get fired for doing a ****ty job.

the money will really be great don't get me wrong, I mean ill be doubling my salary but its not like I really need it because I have been making it work for over a year. going to school and working at night as a loader , and I kind of like this lifestyle because it lets me have time for my studies.

I think If I wait tho i'm gonna get really pissed if that kid becomes a sup (I load with) when hes a ****tier loader/pickoff than me.

just to clarify, I get the 1500$ (max allowed) for tuition so I'm already taking advantage of that. I think one of you guys said that sups get a better tuition reimbursement is that true?

don't you get raises a sup every year or whatever? Next week one of the sups said they were going to be getting paid every week which is cool. I plan on leaving UPS when I finish my bachelors whats that 2 years? So my gut just tells me to be a sup and make as much money as possible. then get the hell outta there .Oh god this decision is really stressin me out.

hey one of you guys said something about the security job there that I can apply for when I get my bachelors in criminology can you talk a little bit more about that job please?

late january, ill be going to school 9-1 mon-fri then if i was suping go to work at 4:30-10:30 thats not bad at all Ill still have time to focus on my studies.

what the hell is the p/t sup beni package?

all you guys say p/t sup is a dead end job but thats fine I plan on leaving in a few years anywya when I graduate so maybe I shuold just be a sup!! i think thats what I should do.

Its tough tho cuz I need to know if I get laid off for any reason while I'm a sup will my job as a loader be waiting for me with my seniority intact?

so I guess let me do this to weigh it out

pros
-DOUBLE THE SALARY more money to buy everything I want
-take my girl out more cuz I cant with this fkin 200 bux a week Ill tell you that
-pay credit card off
-get out of my house
-save money for car cuz my 97 acura is getting old
-won't do nearly half the work wont be EXHAUSTED every night when I get home
-more money for college (I think)
-my belt has all good loaders so I wont really have to worry about that too much
- overall better mood cuz I wont be broke all the time
- resume helper
- I mean I think the p/t sups that have been doind it for 10 years or so gets paid good money no?
cons
- job security
-possible loss of seniorty with then union if I get laid off for any p0urpose
- not in teamsters lose the great benis
- have to deal with them busting your balls every night
-economy situation
-job security

well before I leave for work let me just go on the record and say I still don't know what the *** I shud do I think I should wait a month maybe

You probably wont get your belt.......

p/t sup

I had to register and give my two cents. For benefit information talk to your hr. I do make more money, than I would as a loader. If you're single, with no dependents, you won't have to pay for insurance. Also, for some reason we just started getting payed once a week.

Everyone else made good points, but they missed what I think is the two major differences.

Don't do it for the money, my pick-offs make more money than me. The money will come if you hang around ups long enough. That said, if you need the money, I get payed 27.5 hours a week. Most weeks, I get around three hours over time.

You need to think about all the people you work with, do you really want to manage them? You're the best there is in your building, everyone that works for you won't be as good. Get a misload sheet for your building , your pt sup has one he's going to trash anyway. Pick five or six names off at random. Those will be the people that work for you. You'll be expected to fix their problems.

I don't know if your belt runs well or not, but not expect to stay there if you become a pt sup. Pick the one that always screwed up and expect to go there.

I like my job, I don't kiss my friend/t's butt and I don't expect to move to friend/t management. Most p/t sups don't seem to like there job. Expect to take the blame for other people problems, explaining to a district manager how a loader misloaded x number of packages isn't fun.

What it comes down to is, you go to work, get in a trailer and load packages all shift. You don't have to think about it that much, when the sort go down you go home. I got to work about 45min before you do, I get bitched at for whatever packages were misloaded, not scanned, damages that work loaded, belt stops, ect... Then I spend my night juggling paperwork, loaders, trailers, pick-offs, scaners, ects. At the end of the night I'm responsable for anything that went wrong.

I'm not saying you shouldn't becoume a pt sup. I like my job. I'd go to the dark side if I had it to to all over again, but it's not all green grass like it looks from the other side of the fence.

Hope this helps:

I think one of you guys said that sups get a better tuition reimbursement is that true? --the tution max is the same.

don't you get raises a sup every year or whatever? --Yes. they get raises every March.

hey one of you guys said something about the security job there that I can apply for when I get my bachelors in criminology can you talk a little bit more about that job please? --The Security Department looks for current employees with your major. It would be to YOUR benefit to consider this after you have your Bachelors.

what the hell is the p/t sup beni package? --This is the benefits non-union employees receives as opposed to union employees. Ex. health, dental, etc.

all you guys say p/t sup is a dead end job but thats fine I plan on leaving in a few years anywya when I graduate so maybe I shuold just be a sup!! i think thats what I should do. --It is only dead-end if you don't make the most of it.

Its tough tho cuz I need to know if I get laid off for any reason while I'm a sup will my job as a loader be waiting for me with my seniority intact? --I have been around for a long time and I HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD of a management employee being laid off. Even during the strike in 1997 we still received our entire salary.

drewed

Shankman
I believe the tuition reimbursment goes from a 15k max to a 20k max because the semster max goes from 1500 to 2500....thats the last time i checked its bee about 6 monts

P

pickup

oh, hell, I thought about it, go ahead make the jump. You might be unhappy after the fact but you'll definitely be unhappy watching your fellow loader (who is probably less qualified ) do it and you always wondering " should I have done it?" And whoever you end up supervising, you might be able to teach them how to do 400 an hour. :peaceful:

Pollocknbrown

drewed it goes to 2K a sem for a sup not 2.5, sorry had to correct, plus when i applied as an hourly i asked my hub manager how to do it and she said i had to be a sup. I asked her to show me where it says only sups can and she said look at UPS' website and it said both hourlies and sups (owned :D). So i printed it and showed it to her.

hey guys thanks for the comments posted on this page. p.t sup thanks for registering and answering my post.

anyway i have decided that I should go through the process. since i don't plan on a career it makes more sense to make the most money now, and finish school.

yea im not gonna like it hearing d.m'ers bitch at me for misloads but whatever you gotta do what you gotta do and someones gonna do it you kno. i can deal with ppl bitchin at me for 400 a week psh. on top of it i get more money for college which is good.

and you know what if i do get laid off for being a ****ty sup or due to the economy, screw em ill collect unemployment or find another job i really dont care.

lol and theres no way im gonna let this other kid be a sup and not me ahaha.

i appreciate all the comments thanks for all the great advice.