My sup keeps making me sign papers?

Ant12

I'm kind of a new hire and I'm on my 30 day probation right now but I've been here for like 3 months since I was seasonal but they still kept me. My sup keeps coming to me like 2-4 times a week and makes me sign stuff, but I never ask for what. My coworker says to be aware of what you sign cause it could screw you later. Do you think I'm just signing all this stuff because I'm a new hire, or is there something more?

moriar7y

Always, *ALWAYS*, read anything you sign. I'm not the kind of person that believes that management is always out to get you, but you should use your common sense before taking any action with your employment.

As for what you have already signed, request a copy of your employee file, or ask to see it. Everything should be in there.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ant12

mercury7

We have to get all new compliance docs signed for you and this time of year is when a whole bunch of compliance gets done.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Get used to signing papers. After a while you will know which you throw out. Rest just get shoved into a folder. Management doesn't look thru to make sure all have signed

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Get used to signing papers. After a while you will know which you throw out. Rest just get shoved into a folder. Management doesn't look thru to make sure all have signed

They do here----if we don't sign in the morning they make sure we sign when we get back in the evening.

smells like godzilla

Once you're in the union, read Article 6 Extra Contract Agreements in the national cba. Don't sign anything unless it is a DOT or OSHA requirement. Other than that, paychecks and grievances are the only things I've ever signed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm kind of a new hire and I'm on my 30 day probation right now but I've been here for like 3 months since I was seasonal but they still kept me. My sup keeps coming to me like 2-4 times a week and makes me sign stuff, but I never ask for what. My coworker says to be aware of what you sign cause it could screw you later. Do you think I'm just signing all this stuff because I'm a new hire, or is there something more?
There is always paper they're sticking in our faces to sign during the sort...usually dok, safety tip of the day crap, load quality audits....etc etc. Don't ever sign anything without reading it first....if your sup tries to rush you to signing it, tell him to leave it and you'll sign it on your break.

The Range

In too deep
Compliance is of zero consequence to the topic of this thread. Doubly, it has absolutely nothing to do with your post. The question is, why sign documents of no value? Better still, why waste managements time and energy signing things you need not?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Compliance is of zero consequence to the topic of this thread. Doubly, it has absolutely nothing to do with your post. The question is, why sign documents of no value? Better still, why waste managements time and energy signing things you need not?

If not for compliance, why would you be asked to sign any of these documents?

We had a snow storm on Tuesday. Mgt had us sign a snow storm safety handout. If we had not signed and something had happened that had been covered in that handout we would have been disciplined for failure to comply with a written directive.

The only thing you have to sign is your paycheck unless you have direct deposit, OSHA , dot , hazardous materials training ,and your dvir. If you aren't in the union sign everything as long as you read it. It's in your best interests to get along until you have both feet in the door. After you have made the union get a contract book and read it right away.

An informed member is a good member and one who is harder to push around. Know your rights. This is covered in article 6 of the NMA.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Compliance is of zero consequence to the topic of this thread. Doubly, it has absolutely nothing to do with your post.

The question is, why sign documents of no value?

Better still, why waste managements time and energy signing things you need not?
Irrelevant

Now we know.

Legal

The Range

In too deep
If not for compliance, why would you be asked to sign any of these documents?

We had a snow storm on Tuesday. Mgt had us sign a snow storm safety handout. If we had not signed and something had happened that had been covered in that handout we would have been disciplined for failure to comply with a written directive.

You would have been disciplined for not signing a written directive? Where do you work? The UPS I work for cannot discipline for what you claim. Something about "unless the signing is required by law or by this agreement". I sign my paycheck. I still have a job. Stop wasting your management team's time and stop dabbling in extra contract agreements.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would have been disciplined for not signing a written directive? Where do you work? The UPS I work for cannot discipline for what you claim. Something about "unless the signing is required by law or by this agreement".

One of the lines in the handout was about not going down driveways you weren't sure of. What do you think would have happened had you gone down a driveway and needed to call a tow truck to get out? They would have charged you not only with an accident but also with failure to comply with a written directive.

Sign it/don't sign it----you will still be expected to comply with whatever is on that piece of paper.

The Range

In too deep
In other words, either way it does not matter. This is why I was questioning you in my first post. If you stop signing things management will need not wait upon your return in the evening for the signing of meaningless items. Efficiency is the conservation of energy.