My Thoughts On Peak

The USPS is quite profitable if you exclude the onerous 75 year pension funding scam orchestrated by the Republican Party. They want it privatized, so it needs to fail.

You know this, so why spread more lies?
And who was in charge of the House and Senate in 2006 when this took place....Does Pelosi and Reid ring a bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The USPS is going to suck for as long as anyone here can see...
Yep...look what arrived in my mailbox today.
IMG_20141230_123837.jpg

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Here's a great article on what happened with the pension act.
Don't listen to Dano's spin.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/14486-the-usps-media-fail

That's interesting. Right now, I'm reading the letter carriers' union's January 2007 monthly newsletter where they are going on and on about how it's such a great thing that this law, sponsored by 2 Democrats and a Republican, passed Congress with no opposition and how glad they are that postal reform became a reality.

The postmasters' union's newsletter was just as supportive.

Prior to that, I looked at the USPS' own stats.

And you've got Thom Hartmann.

59 Dano

We have the lowest postal rates in the First World, as in subsidized so Fred S can't buy the Postal Service and charge $3.50 for a first class letter. In spite of the artificially low rates, the USPS does quite well, except for the financial noose around its neck in the form of the retirement funding mandate.
The fact that the USPS is highly organized also makes them a huge target for the anti-union GOP.

The USPS does quite well, except when it loses lots of money -- which is the rule, not the exception.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The USPS does quite well, except when it loses lots of money -- which is the rule, not the exception.

Not if you factor-in the pension funding garbage.
Job #1 for Republicans: Demonize the USPS and their unionized employees, thereby energizing Right Wing support and the belief that the Postal Service is mis-managed.
Job#2 for Republicans: Privatize the USPS, so private companies can jack-up the rates and cash-in.

Postal service is supposed to be subsidized so the average American has a means to send correspondence and packages at reasonable rates. Like many government services and functions, it shouldn't be required to be profitable.

How about the US military? Have they ever turned a profit.

Below me, Dano.

vantexan

Job #1 for Republicans: Demonize the USPS and their unionized employees, thereby energizing Right Wing support and the belief that the Postal Service is mis-managed.
Job#2 for Republicans: Privatize the USPS, so private companies can jack-up the rates and cash-in.

Postal service is supposed to be subsidized so the average American has a means to send correspondence and packages at reasonable rates. Like many government services and functions, it shouldn't be required to be profitable.

How about the US military? Have they ever turned a profit.

Below me, Dano.
Who says it needs to be profitable? But as I pointed out earlier even after the pension funding requirements it still loses a lot of money. Why shouldn't the Postal Service fund it's own pension? The Pension Guaranty Fund is in trouble now, would be overwhelmed if the Postal Service couldn't meet it's obligation. This is a fundamental difference between liberals and conservatives. For some reason liberals think there's a never ending supply of money that's being held back by greedy conservatives who are hoarding it for themselves. What if we had less debt? The government wouldn't be spending an ever increasing amount servicing the interest on the debt. Money that could be going into infrastructure and social programs to improve people's lives. Your answer seems to be stop the military spending and there'd be plenty. No, because there would still be overspending that would eventually get us back into the same situation. Stop blaming everyone else and look at yourself. All this bitching is because you think you are owed a great living. I'm at starting pay now and would love to be in your shoes with top pay. I can understand 15 year employees who aren't at the midpoint of range being pissed off but why are you topped out guys angry? You've been enjoying better pay since when? '98? It's the Republicans' fault. It's Fred's fault. It's everyone's fault but your own and I'm still scratching my head what you've got to be pissed about, other than their screwing us on the pension. Have a great 2015!

Last edited:

59 Dano

Yes, even factoring in the bipartisan pension funding mandates that were passed by both houses of Congress and supported by the postal unions, the USPS is still a crap shoot. In the last 2 or 3 years it has performed better, and that's good.

The USPS has not been run very well, which is why it (along with all of its special interest groups, such as the postal unions) welcomed the 2006 reforms and had a great input in drafting them. No one wants the USPS to be privatized because there aren't any companies that want to do what the USPS does. I don't know which ridiculous group of fools is supplying you with your talking points, but my goodness, it's just one dumb straw man after another.

And a fine job you're doing at playing both sides of the issue at the same time. Again.