My wife's package was destroyed by "surepost"!

beentheredonethat

Could someone who knows post what the difference is between Basic and Surepost?

When I retired I knew the parameters for Basic. If your home address zip code did not have a rural surcharge then it was delivered by a UPS person. My local PO might get 15 packages a week versus a rural surcharge PO getting 200-250 a week.

My wife got 3 packages in the past month and 2 of them were Basic.

Is Basic going to be like the dinosauer?

Basic was UPS first response to SMartpost. We had about 50% of the zip codes which = about 25% of the pkgs going final mile via USPS. It was limited to the continuguous 48 states only. Surepost has closer to 98% final mile by USPS, it also includes APO\FPO, HI and AK, and some territories of the US. This gets our product closer to Smartpost. With the caveat that we still put it in our network and it gets UPS ground transit + 1 day typically. Smartpost is still on average a slower service relying mainly on the USPS for movement of pkgs and final mile.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That would be a case by case situation. However I know that when my SUP was riding with me I tried to leave a DN for a basic package going to a apartment that is located in area that has high foot traffic located in mixed commercial/ resi shopping area and the package was insight. He told me I had to leave it that is what the shipper wants us to do no matter the location. When you scan the package that what message tells you.

Common sense still has to prevail here.

dogs.bite.me

im in the same boat with you

taking away my jobs...

Get whoever does sure post to write down the names of the shippers.

I talked to my union rep and she said that there were a few under contract that were allowed to use sure post, like QVC and so forth.... She told me to fax paper work with how many pkgs are being send sure post every day, and the shippers and she would file a grievance that would get nasty. So I'm thinking about doing that.

packageguy

With surepost at least you get paid to drop those packages off at the post office. Without it you wouldn't see those packages at all because they wouldn't be in our system. How many routes do you think UPS would be able cut then?

Those are our packages, Just image all that work on our truck, there would be many more routes on the road.