Naive people

hypo hanna

I'm not "Bitching" I'm pointing out what goes on at my station. I work hard because thats what people with any pride do. You are giving the senior people way too much credit. They aren't lazy to get at smith the are lazy because they have alway been and will always be. Hell, these guys have no complaints. They think they have the world by the balls.
I have plenty of "pride". I'm proud of my children. I'm proud of the work I've done on my house. I'm not proud of working for fedex!

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
I disagree with the statement that senior couriers should have easy jobs because they have the time in. Thats a major problem with this company in my opinion. The majority of the senior couriers at my station have this "earned it" attitude. These guys complain about how bad they have it but don't do a damn thing day after day. Any other employer would fire them. This company needs reward the people that actually work. The only thing these senior employees earn after years of service is more vacation time.

Hand up!

Yes, I have an "I Earned It" attitude. From handler, courier, swing courier, shuttle driver and on and on ... dang skippy, I have earned it! Seniority around here counts for two things:

Bidding on a ROUTE
Vacation Time

I've earned (a):

A Few Injuries
Stress Leave
FMLA
IPP (gone)
BPP(gone)
Purple Promise Payout ($32)
Shift Differential (gone)
Cut in 401K
2% Raise Twice A Year (gone)
2% Raise Once A Year (gone)
2% Maybe Never Again
A Few OLCC's (who cares)
A Few Letters (overturned)
One Bravo Zulu w/$ (gone)
A Bunch Without $

Now understand, most of those incentives are LONG GONE. But you are not about to tell me, that if you were offered a better route, you wouldn't take it .. no matter how many years, you have with this company.

It's one thing to work SMART and another thing to be LAZY.

Goldilocks

I disagree with the statement that senior couriers should have easy jobs because they have the time in. Thats a major problem with this company in my opinion. The majority of the senior couriers at my station have this "earned it" attitude. These guys complain about how bad they have it but don't do a damn thing day after day. Any other employer would fire them. This company needs reward the people that actually work. The only thing these senior employees earn after years of service is more vacation time.

Mr or Ms Jayhawk, FYI, with DRA, we are all equal. And yes, with my 5 weeks plus, about 6 weeks and 5 sick days, I will take only the best weeks and leave you with nothing. This is the only thing we SENIOR employees have left.

vantexan

Mr or Ms Jayhawk, FYI, with DRA, we are all equal. And yes, with my 5 weeks plus, about 6 weeks and 5 sick days, I will take only the best weeks and leave you with nothing. This is the only thing we SENIOR employees have left.
Besides much better pay, more vacation time, better routes, bigger "bonuses", better pensions. And more power to you. The midrange employees just want the same deal, and they're never going to get it. For all the talk about what senior employees have lost, they're still much better off than midrange. Midrange employees aren't getting much more than Ground in comparison with topout.

Rhoderunner

Besides much better pay, more vacation time, better routes, bigger "bonuses", better pensions. And more power to you. The midrange employees just want the same deal, and they're never going to get it. For all the talk about what senior employees have lost, they're still much better off than midrange. Midrange employees aren't getting much more than Ground in comparison with topout.
They should have the same deal. I think we can all agree with that. The point being made is where to direct the anger. Blaming the senior employee for the disparity is useless. As Mr FedEx pointed out it all comes down from Mt Memphis. Take the fight to your managers, your SM. Next time the DM is in for a circle jerk give him both barrels and make him sweat.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They should have the same deal. I think we can all agree with that. The point being made is where to direct the anger. Blaming the senior employee for the disparity is useless. As Mr FedEx pointed out it all comes down from Mt Memphis. Take the fight to your managers, your SM. Next time the DM is in for a circle jerk give him both barrels and make him sweat.

The DM won't sweat because he'll be reading from the script provided to him from Memphis. Unless you bring a rope and construct a gallows, he probably won't even miss a beat of his prepared speech.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Smiths divide and conquer tactic is the only idea that works at this :censored2:hole

Lying and obfuscation is also very profitable for them. Just once, I'd like to see on of the cheeses stand in front of an audience of hourlies, with no security, no script, and anything goes in terms of questions. I can guarantee they would be fully puckered, sweating like a pig, and looking for the nearest exit.

fedupforsure

did you guys have the vacation bidding changed this year. We were told corp changed it so that in the new bidding process we can only bid 3 weeks the first round 2nd round the rest of our weeks and the 3rd round personals fh and left over days. totally screwed the senior employees

fedupforsure

and do not forget the fact that it took many of us senior employees 25 to 30 years to be making 25 an hour. I am not saying the newer people are not getting screwed, because you are

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

did you guys have the vacation bidding changed this year. We were told corp changed it so that in the new bidding process we can only bid 3 weeks the first round 2nd round the rest of our weeks and the 3rd round personals fh and left over days. totally screwed the senior employees
and do not forget the fact that it took many of us senior employees 25 to 30 years to be making 25 an hour. I am not saying the newer people are not getting screwed, because you are

I would love to see UPS adopt this policy. Keep in mind that I have 25 years in and I am #7 on the seniority list so, yes, this would affect me.

Younger drivers w/kids generally get screwed when selecting vacations.

I would love to see UPS adopt this policy. Keep in mind that I have 25 years in and I am #7 on the seniority list so, yes, this would affect me.

Younger drivers w/kids generally get screwed when selecting vacations.

What the senior people getting " screwed" don't realize is they still are the senior people, they still get first choice. All this new method would do is get people to choose the weeks they absolutely want the first round. Then choose what they can live with the second round. Senior people will still get the premium weeks,due to first choice, but will not be able to hog the entire summer for instance, thus allowing junior folks to at least get something better than February and November.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We've been doing it this way at my station for years. As a senior person, I think it's fair. Why shouldn't a less senior person be able to get a week vacation in the summer? I have a school aged child, but when she is out of school, I will no longer take Spring Break. Some senior people take that week long after their kids are grown and gone just to be jerks. You're SOL on the week after Christmas though.

dezguy

We've been doing it this way at my station for years. As a senior person, I think it's fair. Why shouldn't a less senior person be able to get a week vacation in the summer? I have a school aged child, but when she is out of school, I will no longer take Spring Break. Some senior people take that week long after their kids are grown and gone just to be jerks. You're SOL on the week after Christmas though.

Us too. I think it's fair. I still get at least 2 weeks off in the summer and it gives the junior guys at least one week off. I never thought it was fair for the guys with kids, who were newer never got to take their kids camping or on summer vacation.

Just because seniority only counts for vacation, doesn't mean you have to screw over junior guys and their families.

hypo hanna

I take weeks off whenever I feel the urge. Been off the past 4. Been kinda nice.
and how does your experience as a ground contractor relate to the express hourlies issues with vacation bidding?

hypo hanna

There has been at least two bidding processes for years. Your local mgmt gets to decide which is best for their operation. "Operational needs" baby!