National Disruptions and Weather Lines

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Again,
You need to have your daughter teach you how to you how to use a message board.
...and then afterwards maybe she can come over to your place and teach you to quit stammering.:sissyfight:

(sorry, but it was low-hanging fruit!)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Operations suspended. Looks like it's going to be a mandatory Saturday.:hamwheelsmilf:

Big snow storm again today. Other stations in my district closed early. Senior Manager said regular operations until a bunch of people threatened to walk out. Whole PM side already called out and a bunch of people on the AM side He asked for some volunteers to deliver to hospitals and then suspended operations again. Wahoo! No broken bones or unavoidable accidents today!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Big snow storm again today. Other stations in my district closed early. Senior Manager said regular operations until a bunch of people threatened to walk out. Whole PM side already called out and a bunch of people on the AM side He asked for some volunteers to deliver to hospitals and then suspended operations again. Wahoo! No broken bones or unavoidable accidents today!

A little-known aspect of policy is your ability to refuse to go on the road if you consider conditions "too dangerous". This way, you cannot sue FedEx when you choose to go out there and try to be a "hero". Here's what I mean:

Let's say you're Dano, and even if there's a blizzard you're determined to deliver the Purple Promise. So, out you go, and you promptly slide into a ditch because some Bozo cut you off. That's a Preventable, because you "should have anticipated the hazard" (snow and ice). You proceed to go out and slide on the ice and hit a mailbox, which is Preventable #2. Meanwhile, Mr. Smart Courier has told his manager "conditions are unsafe, and if you force me to go out and deliver in these conditions, you (the manager) are requiring me to perform an unsafe act".

If you voluntarily go out on the road, you have absolved them of responsibility. Put the onus back on them, and if they force you to go on the road (they won't), ask them to sign a statement saying you didn't want to deliver but were told you had to. Play the game according to their own stupid policies.

Don't be hero and don't be stupid.

ManInBrown

A little-known aspect of policy is your ability to refuse to go on the road if you consider conditions "too dangerous". This way, you cannot sue FedEx when you choose to go out there and try to be a "hero". Here's what I mean:

Let's say you're Dano, and even if there's a blizzard you're determined to deliver the Purple Promise. So, out you go, and you promptly slide into a ditch because some Bozo cut you off. That's a Preventable, because you "should have anticipated the hazard" (snow and ice). You proceed to go out and slide on the ice and hit a mailbox, which is Preventable #2. Meanwhile, Mr. Smart Courier has told his manager "conditions are unsafe, and if you force me to go out and deliver in these conditions, you (the manager) are requiring me to perform an unsafe act".

If you voluntarily go out on the road, you have absolved them of responsibility. Put the onus back on them, and if they force you to go on the road (they won't), ask them to sign a statement saying you didn't want to deliver but were told you had to. Play the game according to their own stupid policies.

Don't be hero and don't be stupid.

This is 100% accurate. They don't want you to know you have a choice. But you do. My last few years with the company I refused to go on road a handful of times in snowstorms. I had soured on the job. The no raise BS and all the other crap. Told manager in morning after truck was loaded that I was not going out. Too dangerous. They said see ya tomorrow. What am I going to do? Go on the road and risk getting into an accident. LOL. No thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is 100% accurate. They don't want you to know you have a choice. But you do. My last few years with the company I refused to go on road a handful of times in snowstorms. I had soured on the job. The no raise BS and all the other crap. Told manager in morning after truck was loaded that I was not going out. Too dangerous. They said see ya tomorrow. What am I going to do? Go on the road and risk getting into an accident. LOL. No thanks

Just curious-----how did you make it in to and then home from work?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assume he made it to work safely by not doing 50+ deliveries in the ice and snow in a delivery truck before punching in and out.

So he has the ability to make it safely in to work but is unable to safely attempt his deliveries? More often than not the roads become safer during the day as the road crews have had a chance to clear them.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Come on Upstate, as an Upstate New Yorker you should know better.

The guy could have just commuted 5 miles into work in light snowfall in his 4WD on well-maintained roadway. The conditions could be worsening by the moment after his arrival at the station and projected to rapidly deteriorate in any possible fashion as the day progresses. Not all storms miraculously end after arriving at work - some have just barely gotten started. The storm may be much worse in the area where his route is taking him than where his station/ramp of origin is located

There are just endless factors to consider here. Managing to get yourself a few miles in to work without getting into an accident doesn't mean your 300 mile route in your W700 or tractor/trailer or "package car" or whatever it is you may drive will necessarily be a safe one.

These are all things to consider before getting into that company vehicle, turning the key and venturing out into the great white abyss.. Once you have made that decision, the onus is on YOU. I don't know how it is at UPS, but at Express they don't exactly hand out "Nice Try Awards" after rolling your vehicle over into a ditch - regardless of how terrible the conditions were.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

The guy could have just commuted 5 miles into work in light snowfall in his 4WD on well-maintained roadway. The conditions could be worsening by the moment after his arrival at the station and projected to rapidly deteriorate in any possible fashion as the day progresses. Not all storms miraculously end after arriving at work - some have just barely gotten started. The storm may be much worse in the area where his route is taking him than where his station/ramp of origin is located

There are just endless factors to consider here. Managing to get yourself a few miles in to work without getting into an accident doesn't mean your 300 mile route in your W700 or tractor/trailer or "package car" or whatever it is you may drive will necessarily be a safe one.

These are all things to consider before getting into that company vehicle, turning the key and venturing out into the great white abyss.. Once you have made that decision, the onus is on YOU. I don't know how it is at UPS, but at Express they don't exactly hand out "Nice Try Awards" after rolling your vehicle over into a ditch - regardless of how terrible the conditions were.
Excellent reply.

Upstate must live next door to his UPS terminal.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So he has the ability to make it safely in to work but is unable to safely attempt his deliveries? More often than not the roads become safer during the day as the road crews have had a chance to clear them.

Logic and doing the right thing don't apply at FedEx. You seem to have a really hard time understanding this fact.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You have a "bad attitude". I wish some of the critics on here could see the way this clown circus really operates. No matter what you do, and no matter how good your intentions are, FedEx will find a way to make it your fault and deflect any liability/criticism/responsibility away from them. You're absolutely correct...it's all on you. This is why "When it's slick, call-in sick" became a necessity. Being a hero will get you disciplined and maybe even fired. I have seen several people get 2 preventables on the same day, and it happens more often than most people think.