National Grievance panel decisions

deleted9

It works both ways, how much did UPS spend on bringing the sups, managers on each grievance there only to have them deadlocked. A deadlock is not a loss for the union, a denied grievance is. A deadlock means the sides disagreed on the griveance and now the union has the option to arbitrate.

I believe they can go to arbitration regardless of going to the national panel if they wanted to, besides the money the company spends does not come out of your pocket like the union dues do, probably time for another increase

705red

Browncafe Steward
I believe they can go to arbitration regardless of going to the national panel if they wanted to, besides the money the company spends does not come out of your pocket like the union dues do, probably time for another increase

In order to go to arbitration the 2 sides must deadlock the case. Now a grievance of the same nature could be referred to a grievance already deadlocked that is going to arbitration without deadlocking it again.

Let me ask you, when you took your pay freeze, did you vote on it? No, it was forced on you, Whne the dues went up it was voted on by the delegates that were elected by the members. So in order for the dues to go up, again it would have to be voted on.

I can assure you that UPS settles quite a few grievance before an arbitrator hears the case. So let me ask you again, why put on the horse and pny show and spend all this money to in airfare and hotel plus food and rental cars only to settle on the case 1 year down the road. In many cases the money they spent on this is way more than the grievances themselves.

DiadTribe

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!
These panels are held in the most expensive "resort" hotels. Paid for with YOUR DUES MONEY!!! Most cases are denied or deadlocked. And when someone wins a case ,for the same amount of out of pocket cash our union spent to go to this panel, everyone pops the cork and starts celebrating. What about the scores of other cases?
This union, and all others, have to start holding these panels in Motel 6 type venues. Then they might get some results.
Get real people. The person that won this one is probably a relative of a union official or a UPS exec. Just a thought. What about the day to day rank and file that can't win a 9.5!!!???!!! Jeez!
The plane tickets alone don't equal what this member got paid.

DiadTribe

http://tdu.org/files/Minutes -- National March 2010.pdf

Still no 22.3 lay offs being heard. Denied 9.5 grievances and look at page 21 Elaine Donlin out of 278. She won $49,000 in sups working and she presented the case. Elaine Donlin for IBT President!
These panels are held in the most expensive "resort" hotels. Paid for with YOUR DUES MONEY!!! Most cases are denied or deadlocked. And when someone wins a case ,for the same amount of out of pocket cash our union spent to go to this panel, everyone pops the cork and starts celebrating. What about the scores of other cases?
This union, and all others, have to start holding these panels in Motel 6 type venues. Then they might get some results.
Get real people. The person that won this one is probably a relative of a union official or a UPS exec. Just a thought. What about the day to day rank and file that can't win a 9.5!!!???!!! Jeez!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I do not know if the union or UPS flips the bill or if they split it for theses conference rooms. I do undersatnd that these are very large rooms to accomodate all the parties involved. Not sure if Motel 6s would be able to fit it. I do see your point in monies spent.

We are lucky in Chicago we are large enough that we have our own panel and arbitrate our own cases. We do not have to bring cases to tne National panel. Our monthly dockets have between 8 and 11 pages of cases monthly. It does not cost us a dime, we hold the panel in our conference room which is big enough to hold more than 20 people, we buy our own lunches, usually fast food, no sit down and wine and dine.

deleted9

I do not know if the union or UPS flips the bill or if they split it for theses conference rooms. I do undersatnd that these are very large rooms to accomodate all the parties involved. Not sure if Motel 6s would be able to fit it. I do see your point in monies spent.

We are lucky in Chicago we are large enough that we have our own panel and arbitrate our own cases. We do not have to bring cases to tne National panel. Our monthly dockets have between 8 and 11 pages of cases monthly. It does not cost us a dime, we hold the panel in our conference room which is big enough to hold more than 20 people, we buy our own lunches, usually fast food, no sit down and wine and dine.

Good valid points by both of you, where the national panel is held in Ft Lauderdale Fl, at a just completely redone Westin Hotel right on A1A across the street from the beach, literally across the street, i'm sure the conference room is part of the package deal with the rooms for everybody, and both sides get a corporate rate for the rooms, but the corporate rate at a Westin hotel is more than you would probably spend on a hotel when you go away or on vacation. The hotel restaurant is called Schula's, it is basically noted for its steaks. NOT CHEAP......... i am an old time UPS'er very well to do and i would not spend what they want for a steak dinner. Also take into account airfare and rental cars, dry cleaning, breakfast, lunch, refreshments..... it cost big bucks for both sides. I'm sure good things do happen and get resolved on both sides..... but the question would be at what expense is it happening.

Braveheart

I remember a day when our "union" used to get real results.

They would not only get people their jobs back but with full back pay.

It would not take 3-6 months either at panels. It would happen in 1-3 weeks and at locals!

It is a very rare thing to see any of our "Teamsters" get back pay these days.

In the years of "Hoffa" I would say there have been 50 wrongful terminations, and that is out of our locals mouths. Problem is they only got 2 or 3 workers back with full back pay and 1 or 2 with partial.

PATHETIC!!! What is that like 5-10%. It was not easy years ago but you would usually see about 40-60% with some back pay and most were full back pay.

How far we have fallen.

SWORDFISH

I remember a day when our "union" used to get real results.

They would not only get people their jobs back but with full back pay.

It would not take 3-6 months either at panels. It would happen in 1-3 weeks and at locals!

It is a very rare thing to see any of our "Teamsters" get back pay these days.

In the years of "Hoffa" I would say there have been 50 wrongful terminations, and that is out of our locals mouths. Problem is they only got 2 or 3 workers back with full back pay and 1 or 2 with partial.

PATHETIC!!! What is that like 5-10%. It was not easy years ago but you would usually see about 40-60% with some back pay and most were full back pay.

How far we have fallen.

+1